Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Yoan Moncada - IF CWS

Ben Badler @BenBadler

Sounds like the Yankees workout will be the last private workout for Yoan Moncada. Expectation among people involved is he signs next week.

Ben Badler @BenBadler ·

Per George King, the Yankees and Hank Steinbrenner watched Yoan Moncada in another private workout yesterday

http://nypost.com/2015/02/20/yankees-remain-wary-of-price-tag-for-cuban-star-yoan-moncada/

Nevertheless, if the price tag is as high as some people believe, the Yankees likely will pass on the 19-year-old, switch-hitting second baseman from Cuba.

“It would be a surprise if he got $40 [million] to $50 million,’’ said an executive with a team not interested in Moncada.

Agent David Hastings said Moncada hopefully will be signed by the end of the month, so time is running out. Hastings never has put a number on his client publicly, but at the beginning of the process, after his private workouts, $30 million was a popular figure. Then, speculation was it could be $40 million, with a ceiling of $50 million.

I don't know. I see Moncada ending up signing a $35 million deal. I also don't know if I could see the Yankees just saying no to the kid.

On a side note, the last paragraph of that article makes no sense to me. Here it is:

One theory floating about Moncada getting a $50 million bonus is that if it costs the team $100 million, that team must believe he is 10 times better than Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper, who received a $9.9 million signing bonus. Of course, the 18-year-old Harper was tethered to the 2010 draft, in which he was taken with the first pick.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. You're dealing with a draft pick and a FA. Two different scenarios. If Harper was a FA, he would have got something like this too, and honestly, probably would have signed for more than Moncada will sign for.

Agreed, that makes zero sense. It's apples and oranges.

If Harper had been a free agent coming out of high school he likely would have gotten a $60m bonus if not more.

When they say expected to sign next week does that mean before March 1? Or the week after March 1?

When they say expected to sign next week does that mean before March 1? Or the week after March 1?

my take is that he'll be signing this week. maybe.

MONCADA TO SIGN WITH RED SOX

SIGNING BONUS OF AROUND 30M

Well that really throws a wrench in things.

Where the hell does he end up playing? Even if he takes two years to develop, would he really move Pedroia off of 2B? I seriously doubt it.

Sandoval just signed for 5 years.

Bogaerts is at SS and Moncada isn't really a SS to begin with, so there's no way he ends up there.

Moncada could probably play in the OF, but they already have Hanley-Castillo-Betts out there.

We're obviously a ways away from figuring this entire thing out positional wise, but if I had to guess, I bet by the time he's up, Big Papi will have retired, they'll move Sandoval to DH, and Moncada will be the 3B.

Wow! As a Sox fan I love this!

It certainly is a signing for the future and the kid will be in the minors 2 years, barring any major injury or trade.

NYR Fan, I think you are close in your assessment, but just slightly off. I think Sando will be moved to 1B in a couple years not DH, and I think Moncada or Bogaerts will be moved to 3B.

Maybe the Red Sox also understand that with Betts and Bogaerts, it is very possible one won't work out, so they are protecting themselves. Or maybe they really do plan on trading one of them.

So much happens and changes in 2 years, it would be dumb to not sign the top prospect, who only costs money, because of your current lineup. Add the talent and let the rest sort itself out. Who knows, maybe they trade Moncada in a year or two?

Wow! As a Sox fan I love this!

It certainly is a signing for the future and the kid will be in the minors 2 years, barring any major injury or trade.

NYR Fan, I think you are close in your assessment, but just slightly off. I think Sando will be moved to 1B in a couple years not DH, and I think Moncada or Bogaerts will be moved to 3B.

Maybe the Red Sox also understand that with Betts and Bogaerts, it is very possible one won't work out, so they are protecting themselves. Or maybe they really do plan on trading one of them.

So much happens and changes in 2 years, it would be dumb to not sign the top prospect, who only costs money, because of your current lineup. Add the talent and let the rest sort itself out. Who knows, maybe they trade Moncada in a year or two?

Definitely agree with you. You're much more tuned in to the Red Sox situation than I am. I'm just sort of guessing here from the little I know.

As you said, maybe they deal Betts in a package for Hamels. Or Bogaerts. From what I've read however, Moncada doesn't profile as a SS as he looks sort of awkward at that position. Maybe they can work with him, but I'd think he could play at 2B, 3B, or OF. 2B is out of the question for him since Pedroia is there. If I had to guess, it's 3B as you noted with Sandoval moving to 1B. Or maybe an OF position with them trading Betts for Hamels.

Honestly though, I have no clue. I think it comes down to 3B or OF, but 2 years is a long time as you said. I think it's either 3B or OF at this point, but any which way we spin this, the offense should definitely play up. Very good signing for the Red Sox. If they make a deal for Hamels, that could make this situation a bit more clear, so we'll definitely see how this plays out one way or another.

But, but, but...the Cubs? Guess Moncada didn't get the memo that Theo had moved on to Chicago.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised that the Dodgers or Yankees didn't get this done, especially since the Sox got him with "only" a $30 million bonus, considering all the rumors of a $40+ million bonus.

Edit: I thought the Dodgers would have tried using Puig as a convincer.

By the time he's ready for the majors, Ortiz will likely be done(2 years from now) and I can see them shift Fatty Pablo over to 1B to try and keep him healthy, opening up 3B for Moncada. It's 3B or OF for him though. Wanted him to go to a team who would have kept him at 2B but oh well

Pedroia has had 2 injury-plagued seasons in his last 3, is on the wrong side of 30, and 2B don't age well. No reason he won't be playing 2B in 3 years.

I wonder if this could open up a Betts or Xander trade for Hamels. honestly, the Red Sox (and Cubs) are doing what all teams should do. Assemble talent, then make the positions work. Some of these guys may bust... or be traded.

Well that really throws a wrench in things.

Where the hell does he end up playing? Even if he takes two years to develop, would he really move Pedroia off of 2B? I seriously doubt it.

Sandoval just signed for 5 years.

Bogaerts is at SS and Moncada isn't really a SS to begin with, so there's no way he ends up there.

Moncada could probably play in the OF, but they already have Hanley-Castillo-Betts out there.

We're obviously a ways away from figuring this entire thing out positional wise, but if I had to guess, I bet by the time he's up, Big Papi will have retired, they'll move Sandoval to DH, and Moncada will be the 3B.

Pedroia has had 2 injury-plagued seasons in his last 3, is on the wrong side of 30, and 2B don't age well. No reason he won't be playing 2B in 3 years.

This.

Given that Moncada is 19, not really sure it matters how crowded everything looks right now. A swift progression to get in the lineup in April 2016 just gives them trade flexibility, which the BoSox want to go with up and coming youth. Any "lineup is crowded" narrative assumes neither Betts nor Castillo nor Moncada bust. If someone busts, there's insurance; if none do, there's trade bait to improve elsewhere.

What's to prevent the Sox from flipping him to the Phillies for Hamels? The Phillies get a young high end talent that by all reports is of the same caliber as a Swihart or Betts while not having the pay the bonus or penalty fee. From the Boston side it cost them $60m in bonus and penalty money but would allow them to keep Betts, Swihart, etc. Just spitballing...

What's to prevent the Sox from flipping him to the Phillies for Hamels? The Phillies get a young high end talent that by all reports is of the same caliber as a Swihart or Betts while not having the pay the bonus or penalty fee. From the Boston side it cost them $60m in bonus and penalty money but would allow them to keep Betts, Swihart, etc. Just spitballing...

Dunno why the phillies just wouldn't sign him to begin with.

By doing it this way the Phillies would have saved themselves $62m between the bonus and the penalty plus kept their ability to sign IFAs for more than $300k.

Cashman wanted to get him regardless of costs...Hal put the breaks on that though. From reports anyway.

Re: international free agents, I have no idea if this applies - but a player can't be traded away if they are drafted for at least 6 months after signing. Free agents signed by MLB who are traded in the first year of their contract would then have the option of voiding their contract with the new team, IIRC (again, this is for FA's who pass their 6-year service time window). Point being, there are MLB provisions that prevent a sign-and-trade scenario, unlike the NFL/NBA. It's why Trea Turner was still technically on San Diego at the time of the Wil Myers trade, but is headed to WAS once the 6-month window from his signing has cleared. I suspect something like that would be in place for international FA's.

Personally, it's others mentioned - in 2 years, Napoli, Craig, Victorino and likely even Big Papi, and by decline, Pedroia will be out of the picture. Bogaerts can move to 3B if needed, or even a corner OF spot. Sandoval can play 1B, 3B or DH. Betts can be a 2B or OF. They have a ton of options.

If there's a trade happening for Hamels, Betts + a bad contract would make a ton of sense (Swihart is more untouchable because BOS has no one to take his place) but BOS isn't forced to do it yet, they'll do it if it makes sense (which is why attaching Betts to a 1-2 year salary dump also makes sense to get Hamels).

BOS did this to accumulate talent, and to play keepaway from the Yankees. Can't blame them for this line of thinking.

By doing it this way the Phillies would have saved themselves $62m between the bonus and the penalty plus kept their ability to sign IFAs for more than $300k.

I don't think that is legal right now.

I was just coming here to post the same question. I wonder if there is a rule against it. I am pretty sure there is a rule about trading somebody who was drafted less than a year ago, but I have never heard anything about any time limit on Cuban signings.