Dakines

Rotoworld's blurb 'consistency'

the phrasing has got to be the worst part. every take has the same phrasing, like they all got together to use "fully expected to ___"

tired of seeing these passive phrases on all their rec's like "there's no reason not to add him" or it "makes sense" to pick someone up, or just simply regurgitating the value corresponding with that nights' performance, such as when a guy gets 20 minutes and the blurb says "he should see minutes in the mid-20s going forward"

Compared to previous years, I would say there are more blurbs posted per day than before. This has to be because of increased demand for fantasy news (they throw in their own awful advice too).

Obviously the quality will go down with the quantity... Injury updates and player statuses now seem to be outnumbered by a s--- ton of speculation, quotes, and terrible fantasy "advice"/player valuations.

Another thing, I'm still not over the new app. I think the design is terrible and I will never be a fan.

The shocking thing about the apps is that there is no mechanism for reading the articles.

correct me if i missed this, but that would seem essential that they have the Featured Articles easily accessible from the app.

And they haven't fixed the links to the news sources to be live yet either, which is frustrating when you want to go to the source or check out a video highlight

• Like 1

The shocking thing about the apps is that there is no mechanism for reading the articles.

correct me if i missed this, but that would seem essential that they have the Featured Articles easily accessible from the app.

And they haven't fixed the links to the news sources to be live yet either, which is frustrating when you want to go to the source or check out a video highlight

I can never find the articles on the mobile site

This is what I meant above BTW:

Last night, on Myles Turner: Turner has impressive upside as a shot-blocker and rebounder, but he's only worth a speculative stash if you have some dead weight on your roster.

And on Jerami Grant: He's certainly someone to watch, but he's not a pickup after this one unless you have dead weight.

"Dead weight" line in both of them. Not only is the recycled phrasing annoying but the "take" is less than luke warm.

This is what I meant above BTW:

Last night, on Myles Turner: Turner has impressive upside as a shot-blocker and rebounder, but he's only worth a speculative stash if you have some dead weight on your roster.

And on Jerami Grant: He's certainly someone to watch, but he's not a pickup after this one unless you have dead weight.

"Dead weight" line in both of them. Not only is the recycled phrasing annoying but the "take" is less than luke warm.

With Grant last night's game was an explosion far beyond the almost invisible role he had been fulfilling even when playing significant minutes. Question is, with D'Antoni's influence and maybe a much more up-temp and stat-packed style of play (say the Suns of the mid 00's, New York a few years ago) will this be a rising tide that lifts all boats in the organisation? I for one had Grant in an ESPN league and cut him a week or so ago after a ghastly ineffectual effort despite playing near 30 minutes.

I will admit some of the blurbs are a bit strange, one mentioned Bayless 'didn't even play' before getting his 19 point game two starts ago..well he 'hadn't been playing' because he was out injured for a couple of weeks! But as fantasy coaches we are not beholden to the blurbs, they are handy, they provide an opinion, but true fantasy coaching is kind of reading your own tea-leaves and making a call on what YOU might think is the best course of action.

According to the blurbs there's like 20 players with top 10 value. That really bothers me because it's just illogical and not true, plus it depends on format which the writers rarely specify.

According to the blurbs there's like 20 players with top 10 value. That really bothers me because it's just illogical and not true, plus it depends on format which the writers rarely specify.

i think the thing with this is there are a handful of players who are constantly shifting to and from 1st round value. butler, millsap, cp3, pg13, pau, etc. they're not necessarily wrong when they say all of those players (and a few others) are 1st round value/can finish there by the end of the seaosn.

i think the thing with this is there are a handful of players who are constantly shifting to and from 1st round value. butler, millsap, cp3, pg13, pau, etc. they're not necessarily wrong when they say all of those players (and a few others) are 1st round value/can finish there by the end of the seaosn.
Thing is they should specify the time frame or league size and settings they're looking at, at least for the top 10 posts or whatever. At the very least when they make the blanket statement they should check if the person is CURRENTLY top 10 or not.

Case and point, Hassan Whiteside:

Hassan Whiteside matched his career-high 25 points during a 106-82 win over the Mavs on Friday, adding 19 rebounds and one block in 32 minutes.

His boards were a season high and he made 12-of-16 from the field. "To contrary beliefs, I can score," Whiteside said after the game. His minutes have been 32 or more in each of his last four games, so the benching concerns have subsided. He has top-10 value in standard leagues so far this season.

Because by my check in Yahoo 9 cat leagues he is not.

Edited by Paddy
  • Like 1

Thing is they should specify the time frame or league size and settings they're looking at, at least for the top 10 posts or whatever. At the very least when they make the blanket statement they should check if the person is CURRENTLY top 10 or not.

Case and point, Hassan Whiteside:

Hassan Whiteside matched his career-high 25 points during a 106-82 win over the Mavs on Friday, adding 19 rebounds and one block in 32 minutes.

His boards were a season high and he made 12-of-16 from the field. "To contrary beliefs, I can score," Whiteside said after the game. His minutes have been 32 or more in each of his last four games, so the benching concerns have subsided. He has top-10 value in standard leagues so far this season.

Because by my check in Yahoo 9 cat leagues he is not.

good points. personally i don't mind that it's not always 100% correct in terms of when they say a player is at a certain rank. for me, the blurbers are close enough in their assessments to aid in my own research but i can see why others would care for more accurate blurbs.

• Like 1

Somebody explain to me how this blurb that just went up makes any sense...

Avery Bradley (left hip contusion) will not return against the Nets on Saturday.
The team ruled him out pretty quickly here, so his hip contusion must be in a bad spot. With Bradley out and Marcus Smart on a minutes restriction, Evan Turner should get the start in the second half. Bradley was able to play through his injury for a bit, so it didn't look too serious. He finished with two points, two rebounds and one turnover

I understand the need for writers / the site to use double speak in order to cover their bases, but god damn - that is awful - contradicting yourself in the same blurb? WTH...

Edited by NetsForce

Denzel Washington has been added to the USA Select Team, according to the Lansing State Journal.

Being named to the select team will be overlooked by most, but it speaks to Washington's standing as a prospect and how he's viewed in the league even before (officially) becoming an NBA player.
denzel_zps7sovbety.png
  • Like 7

Reggie Jackson:

Aug 24: He'll be worth a late-round selection on draft day after averaging 14.5 points, 6.0 assists, 0.9 triples and 0.8 steals per game on 43.4 percent shooting this past season.

Sep 13:The 26-year-old will return as the Pistons starting point guard and will be a mid-round pick in standard fantasy leagues after averaging 14.5 points, 6.0 assists, 0.8 steals, and 0.9 treys in 2015-16. 

Seems like his stock is rising on RW, just mind he averaged 18.8/6.2/1.5/0.7

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, michael_scott said:

Reggie Jackson:

Aug 24: He'll be worth a late-round selection on draft day after averaging 14.5 points, 6.0 assists, 0.9 triples and 0.8 steals per game on 43.4 percent shooting this past season.

Sep 13:The 26-year-old will return as the Pistons starting point guard and will be a mid-round pick in standard fantasy leagues after averaging 14.5 points, 6.0 assists, 0.8 steals, and 0.9 treys in 2015-16. 

Seems like his stock is rising on RW, just mind he averaged 18.8/6.2/1.5/0.7

They're referencing his line from two years ago, during the 14-15 season. Somebody should probably tell them that he's not backing up Russell Westbrook anymore. 

• Like 3

The Jazz play five times this week, meaning Ingles should have at least a couple more starts in him with Hood out for at least a couple weeks. If you have dead weight you want to cut to take advantage of Ingles' new opportunity, go for it.

That was the first version and I almost added this guy without looking.

They are consistent as Aaron Gordon's numbers. I remember one blurb before Avery Bradley returned, "if you don't mind the fg%anchor" duh, he's at 47% this season not 41-43%. What game log are they looking at, 14-15?(I know he was bad tonight, then rw says he's rusty, which is true, and of course they said he missed 3 games. Lol he missed 4 games)

I'll add to it, check evan fournier's blurb, without a timetable to return but latest one is returned to action monday jan17. Im gonna screenshot it in case rw deletes it. Lol

Recently for me its been the constant hedging that has stuck in my craw. 

pick him up if you have dead weight

Well yea, if I had that on my roster I wouldn't be a competitive owner now, would I?  I'm never deciding between "dead weight" and a speculative or hot pickup. I'm deciding between guys with reasonable value/upside on my roster and guys with reasonable value/upside on the WW.

How easy it is to pronounce "pick this guy up if hes better than another guy on your team". Thanks RW.

Disclaimer: Yes I know not to look to RW for advice but the site is one of the better aggregate news compilers so I come for the top half of the blurb and get stuck looking at the bottom part. 

• Like 1

I don't mind that, I read it like "if you were streaming someone and that window is closed, go get this guy."

Competitive owners will pick people up that they know aren't necessarily going to be good for ROS, but only for a short time.  When you see that time coming to an end, you're looking to pick up anyone that can be halfway useful until the next stream.

Yes, that's fair. I used to do that regularly until my league went with a FAAB waiver system with max 3 adds per week.  It's still a cop-out though I believe. 

They also overuse phrases such as "makes sense" and "if you need a Center"

But similar to what you said, I read it as "this guy isn't amazing but if you are hurting at that position, he holds slightly more value"

They just do not take a definitive stance on anything basically since Bruski left.  Actually, when you think about it, they basically booted this guy because he held definitive positions and stuck to them.  This blurb crew seems to deal more and more in increasingly vague and chameleon like language and limp positions.  I suppose that's more what I was getting at above.