Coach George

Amed Rosario - SS NYM

6 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Couple things....I think you guys need to chill out a bit. Super 2 is a big deal for any team, regardless of market size, and the only thing a GM or club official can do is say something really stupid and absurd as an excuse to not call a guy up. They can't state the obvious, delaying to avoid super 2, because they would go to litigation with the players union. Why lose a year on a young player you hope will be a building block for a decade to chase mediocrity this year? Would you support the Mets be buyers and trading for veterans right now? If no, then why would you want to lose a year of control in the hopes of pairing Rosario, Thor, Matz, Cespedes, etc. together? 

Amed is producing at Vegas, but there was once another top prospect tearing up Vegas as well...Brett Lawrie...remember him? His stat line in Vegas in 69 games just shames what Rosario has done. 18 HRs. .353/.415/.661 is just absurd and that guy had very limited success at the MLB level. Point is that Vegas and the PCL has a Coors effect. Just because a guy is doing well in Vegas doesn't mean he is ready for the MLB. 

The SB's are what are attractive to most more than expecting the same OPS. At least to me they are.

17 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Couple things....I think you guys need to chill out a bit. Super 2 is a big deal for any team, regardless of market size, and the only thing a GM or club official can do is say something really stupid and absurd as an excuse to not call a guy up. They can't state the obvious, delaying to avoid super 2, because they would go to litigation with the players union. Why lose a year on a young player you hope will be a building block for a decade to chase mediocrity this year? Would you support the Mets be buyers and trading for veterans right now? If no, then why would you want to lose a year of control in the hopes of pairing Rosario, Thor, Matz, Cespedes, etc. together? 

Amed is producing at Vegas, but there was once another top prospect tearing up Vegas as well...Brett Lawrie...remember him? His stat line in Vegas in 69 games just shames what Rosario has done. 18 HRs. .353/.415/.661 is just absurd and that guy had very limited success at the MLB level. Point is that Vegas and the PCL has a Coors effect. Just because a guy is doing well in Vegas doesn't mean he is ready for the MLB. 

In your opinion.

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

Your one man sample size is awesome. Rizzo and Eaton also tore up the PCL and are doing quite well. There are no guarantees, no matter the league. 

6 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Well for starters super 2 has nothing to do with player control, so you can punt that argument out the window. The only thing that would affect the Mets is an extra year of arbitration.. 

21 hours ago, Shortnphat said:

In your opinion.

Doesn't that go without saying? 

15 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

Well for starters super 2 has nothing to do with player control, so you can punt that argument out the window. The only thing that would affect the Mets is an extra year of arbitration.. 

Can you explain how an extra year of arbitration is not a year of a team controlling a player? I am interested to hear your interpretation of a year of arbitration. I consider it a year where a team controls a player at a salary to be determined (and typically much lower than what the free agent market salary would be). 

20 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Your one man sample size is awesome. Rizzo and Eaton also tore up the PCL and are doing quite well. There are no guarantees, no matter the league. 

Rizzo took an extended time to develop at the MLB level into the player he is today. I provided an example. I obviously did not make my point clearly enough. Not every player is ready to get called up with a small sample at PCL. 

I think the tone of my initial post is a little misinterpreted. I want every single young player to do well regardless if I own them or not. I just don't understand why people are so hell bent on calling the guy up right now. For people that want him called up before super 2, let me ask you a question:

Would you support the Mets trading away young assets for a veteran right now? 

Full disclosure, I own Rosario in my dynasty and I want the Mets to keep him in the minors until at least Super 2 passes. 

1 minute ago, thezing1 said:

Rizzo took an extended time to develop at the MLB level into the player he is today. I provided an example. I obviously did not make my point clearly enough. Not every player is ready to get called up with a small sample at PCL. 

I think the tone of my initial post is a little misinterpreted. I want every single young player to do well regardless if I own them or not. I just don't understand why people are so hell bent on calling the guy up right now. For people that want him called up before super 2, let me ask you a question:

Would you support the Mets trading away young assets for a veteran right now? 

Full disclosure, I own Rosario in my dynasty and I want the Mets to keep him in the minors until at least Super 2 passes

That's pretty soon isn't it? Like within the next 2 weeks.... I'm fine waiting that long for him :) Kid has a good head on his shoulders, seems pretty humble. Can't wait to see him in the big leagues.

21 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Can you explain how an extra year of arbitration is not a year of a team controlling a player? I am interested to hear your interpretation of a year of arbitration. I consider it a year where a team controls a player at a salary to be determined (and typically much lower than what the free agent market salary would be). 

If that is your interpretation then why did you say this? "If no, then why would you want to lose a year of control in the hopes of pairing Rosario, Thor, Matz, Cespedes, etc. together? 

That wouldn't really make sense if you thought it had to do with only arbitration..what would Rosario going to arbitration a year sooner have to do with the amount of time, the guys you listed, played together? 

Team control is the amount of time that the team has control of a players contract.. Teams have "player control" for the first 6 years and 171 days of service time (or whatever the day amount is, it's close to that). IF they are deemed a super two -then they are eligible to go to arbitration a year earlier. Generally the smaller market teams Oakland, Milwaukee, etc. will wait until after the arbitrary/estimated super two "deadline" as it costs them extra money.

I don't really think super two matters all that much to the Mets.. Rosario is already under the amount of service time (this year) to not accrue a full year.. The only effect of calling him up now would be him going into arbitration a year earlier thus making the proceeding years more expensive (most likely). Since the deadline is not set in stone, it's anyone's guess as to where it's going to be.. The Mets are clueless and it's toss up to when and if they will call Rosario up anytime soon. 

Edited by JenksDodger

3 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

If that is your interpretation then why did you say this? "If no, then why would you want to lose a year of control in the hopes of pairing Rosario, Thor, Matz, Cespedes, etc. together? 

That wouldn't really make sense if you thought it had to do with only arbitration..what would Rosario going to arbitration a year sooner have to do with the amount of time, the guys you listed, played together? 

Team control is the amount of time that the team has control of a players contract.. Teams have "player control" for the first 6 years and 171 days of service time (or whatever the day amount is, it's close to that). IF they are deemed a super two -then they are eligible to go to arbitration a year earlier. Generally the smaller market teams Oakland, Milwaukee, etc. will wait until after the arbitrary/estimated super two "deadline" as it costs them extra money.

I don't really think super two matters all that much to the Mets.. Rosario is already under the amount of service time (this year) to not accrue a full year.. The only effect of calling him up now would be him going into arbitration a year earlier thus making the proceeding years more expensive (most likely). Since the deadline is not set in stone, it's anyone's guess as to where it's going to be.. The Mets are clueless and it's toss up to when and if they will call Rosario up anytime soon. 

Thanks for clarifying. Appreciate the thoroughness. 

The point of my initial post was to bring up a view that considers the long term development of a player and not focused on the Mets performance at the MLB level. Why do you say the Mets are clueless? The Mets have suffered an insane amount of injuries. To say they are clueless is a bit absurd to me. To blame management for the performance on the field is not being fair to the talent that they have had to work with. It is fair to blame management for the medical staff hires and ultimately the decision making of medical professionals, but on paper they had enough to be competitive for a wild card spot to start the year and that is about it. Now that the injuries have occurred I just don't understand why they would jeopardize the development of arguably the highest ceiling offensive prospect in over a decade to chase competitiveness in one year that is highly unlikely. If the Mets don't wait out super 2, I would say they are "throwing good money after bad" and would say at that point management is tilting and not being smart. Every team has money constraints. Mets included. Making a decision today that benefits the financial flexibility of the team a few years in the future is not clueless. They probably view it as a risk/reward and made a decision based on a lot of data. Or they think a 21 year old with 440-ish at bats above A ball just might not have had enough time at the AA/AAA level to develop to best face MLB pitchers. Personally, I would like to see a few hundred more at bats in AAA before sending him up. That's just my opinion. Thanks for your reply. 

Jose Reyes is back to sucking again, soooo does that mean Rosaio's time should be soon?

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Jose Reyes is back to sucking again, soooo does that mean Rosaio's time should be soon?

June 13th is the day Mets fans expect him up from those that I talk to. 

Looks like we could be seeing Rosario as a Met soon. Articles speaks on about a quote from Alderson regarding that Rosario has shown enough for consideration as well as mentioning the Super 2 deadline should be within the next two weeks. 

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/amed-rosario-might-get-called-up-to-mets-sooner-than-later-1.13707973

12 hours ago, Jrick45 said:

Looks like we could be seeing Rosario as a Met soon. Articles speaks on about a quote from Alderson regarding that Rosario has shown enough for consideration as well as mentioning the Super 2 deadline should be within the next two weeks. 

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/amed-rosario-might-get-called-up-to-mets-sooner-than-later-1.13707973

I kind of would like to add this guy to my squad in a 12 team redraft league but really don't think he's a must add kind of prospect in that scenario.  With power all over the place this year it feels like you need 20 homers + from every position.  He might bat .300 but don't see much juice to go with it.  I am sure deeper keeper leagues would make him an exciting stash.

Edited by knuckleheads

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

I kind of would like to add this guy to my squad in a 12 team redraft league but really don't think he's a must add kind of prospect in that scenario.  With power all over the place this year it feels like you need 20 homers + from every position.  He might bat .300 but don't see much juice to go with it.  I am sure deeper keeper leagues would make him an exciting stash.

You're kind of right. Most rookies don't come in a hit the ground running. And Rosario doesn't have a great fantasy profile, at least not this season. In re-drafts its basically a roll of the dice. Rosario can be good, but you're likely banking on a hot streak early in his career or else he'll get buried in the line-up and likely provide little fantasy value. On the other hand, if he goes Bellinger from the start, it buys him goodwill and potential nice spot in the batting order. I don't mean Rosario has to hit homers like Bellinger, because he's not going to do that.  But if Rosario is getting on base he can hit up in the order, which means more runs, more at bats, etc...

Keepers and deeper leagues should obviously have more interest. Lindor is the upside here, but that's pretty unlikely. I still think you're looking at Elvis Andrus in the short-term, with upside for more down the road. People just have to determine if that's valuable to them given their leagues. Which it may not be for 2017.

45 minutes ago, Jericho said:

You're kind of right. Most rookies don't come in a hit the ground running. And Rosario doesn't have a great fantasy profile, at least not this season. In re-drafts its basically a roll of the dice. Rosario can be good, but you're likely banking on a hot streak early in his career or else he'll get buried in the line-up and likely provide little fantasy value. On the other hand, if he goes Bellinger from the start, it buys him goodwill and potential nice spot in the batting order. I don't mean Rosario has to hit homers like Bellinger, because he's not going to do that.  But if Rosario is getting on base he can hit up in the order, which means more runs, more at bats, etc...

Keepers and deeper leagues should obviously have more interest. Lindor is the upside here, but that's pretty unlikely. I still think you're looking at Elvis Andrus in the short-term, with upside for more down the road. People just have to determine if that's valuable to them given their leagues. Which it may not be for 2017.

I'm holding in redraft because

A. He would be Mets most natural leadoff hitter.

B. He has profile to steal 20 bags over the final 90 games of the season. 

C. He provides batting average and runs scored in a league where .BA is down

On 6/5/2017 at 11:25 AM, Folarin said:

I'm holding in redraft because

A. He would be Mets most natural leadoff hitter.

B. He has profile to steal 20 bags over the final 90 games of the season. 

C. He provides batting average and runs scored in a league where .BA is down

Agreed with this. Some speed, AVG/OBP, runs and a little pop. It's worth holding in a redraft just to see how he starts off.

Edited by DConny1

someone posted on twitter that there are rumors of him getting the call this saturday.

not a verified account so i didn't put any stock in it.

there is this, however:

Scott: At this time next week, Amed Rosario will be in the majors- true or false?

1:00
Dave Cameron: True. Super Two deadline is passing, so we’ll see a rash of promotions soon.

Problem I have with owning stock in him is that the Mets will treat this guy like they did Conforto...sending him up and down multiple times for the first year

On 6/8/2017 at 8:08 AM, nodnarbnap said:

Problem I have with owning stock in him is that the Mets will treat this guy like they did Conforto...sending him up and down multiple times for the first year

Uh, what? 

Conforto was called up on July 24. He played in the majors the rest of the season. He was batting .222 after 3 weeks of games, and they kept chugging him out there. 

I don't expect Rosario to be sent back down, unless he completely flops. 

On 6/4/2017 at 7:58 PM, Jrick45 said:

according to mets announcers lastnight they  said the mets have no intentions of calling up rosario  anytime soon. and it had nothing to do with super 2 . the mets front office wants to make sure he'll be ready to succeed so they dont have to sendhim back down

1 hour ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

according to mets announcers lastnight they  said the mets have no intentions of calling up rosario  anytime soon. and it had nothing to do with super 2 . the mets front office wants to make sure he'll be ready to succeed so they dont have to sendhim back down

So we're believing the announcers over the GM? Idk. No reason to keep him down imo.