Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tdavis20

Fitness Training

pasta has a ton of protien and isnt too filling so you can have a lot of it at one time. Works for me, but then again, Im a runner so im not lookin for a "build".

Yeah pasta I think is the biggest no no in terms of muscle building... rarely does pasta contain protein, it's mostly empty carbs. Carbs are the first energy source that gets utilized as energy. They're also the first ones that get stored in your body as fat because they're so readily available.

Carbs are good if you are into sustained energy burning like x-country running, skiing, basketball... like high enery physical activities because if you partake in those activities chances are you'll do enough physical activity that you'll burn it off. Because weight lifting isn't that big of a big enery burner chances are if you take in a lot of carbs you end up gaining more fat mass because your body doesn't burn off the energy. Which is a main reason why you see a lot of those fad diets like atkins, low-carb high protein work so well because if you eliminate carbs from your diet your body is forced to use fat and protein as energy sources and can't store the extra energy as readily as it normally would if you eat carbs.

8g of protien for 1 serving, 1 box has 8 servings, i usually kill the enitre thing in like 40 mins, that's 72 grams which is 142% of your daily value.

But hey im no expert, maybe my method is just good for lean muscle since i am a runner n all.

Yeah its not the protein thats the problem its the empty calories that comes along with it. Usually if you're looking at that much pasta its the carbs that will make up a lot of the calories. Also the fact that you're a runner definitely helps because the carbs gives you that instant boost of energy that you need to sustain running. I mean if you just look at the muscles involved at running 5 steps and compare that to a guy doing flys with dumbells. Obviously the runner is using a hell of a lot of muscles than the weights guy. Which is why your case works because you're able to burn off that extra energy from your pasta. Whereas a purely weights guy probably won't be able to burn off all that excess energy, so his body would end up storing it as fat. So it makes sense in your situation but not really in a weight lifters.

Yeah its not the protein thats the problem its the empty calories that comes along with it. Usually if you're looking at that much pasta its the carbs that will make up a lot of the calories. Also the fact that you're a runner definitely helps because the carbs gives you that instant boost of energy that you need to sustain running. I mean if you just look at the muscles involved at running 5 steps and compare that to a guy doing flys with dumbells. Obviously the runner is using a hell of a lot of muscles than the weights guy. Which is why your case works because you're able to burn off that extra energy from your pasta. Whereas a purely weights guy probably won't be able to burn off all that excess energy, so his body would end up storing it as fat. So it makes sense in your situation but not really in a weight lifters.

So food wise, since i dont invest in WHEY or any other of those supplements, what would be a good "diet" so to speak if i was lookin to add maybe 5-10lbs of muscle in the upper body over the next 2-3 months?

i forgot the stuff from my exercise phys course B) ....you are probably correct in most of your thoughts...here is a little blurb

Although strength training can be extremely intense, each bout is very brief, making it very unlikely that amino acid oxidation will play an important role in providing energy for this type of anaerobic exercise. Carbohydrates are the major fuel for this type of exercise. For this reason, if you train heavily with weights, you need to consume sufficient dietary carbohydrates to provide energy for this high-intensity exercise. However, published results suggest that additional dietary protein can enhance strength gains as well. In one study, five subjects who consumed diets consisting of 0.8 g/kg of body weight per day of protein and adequate calorie intake experienced decreased muscle cell mass over six weeks of strength training. With continued training and an increase in protein intake to 1.6 g/kg, cell mass increased. A nitrogen balance study of bodybuilders demonstrated an increased protein need relative to controls and estimated the RDA for bodybuilders to be 1.7 g/kg total. In another study, impressive strength gains of 5% and size of 6% were observed over several months of strength training in world-class weight lifters when they increased their dietary protein from 1.8 to 3.5 g/kg of body weight per day.

Great info!

There are a few flaws in that article. First one that I can see is that the intial data only gave it a 6 week period. The only problem is that your body doens't adjust to the shock of working out for at least 8 weeks, which is why so many people give up after a few months cause they don't see the results that they want right away. Working out and getting strength is a marathon not a sprint. How muscle building works is think of it as lego. You get one row of lego, how do you make it stronger? You can add another layer on top, and keep adding and adding and adding. Well then you break it down and start all over again to make it even stronger by maybe adding another layer or interlacing the lego. Muscle building is exactly like that, your muscle fibers get torn down and rebuilt. It usually takes 6-8 weeks before your muscles even start showing significant improvement. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a decrease in muscle mass at the 6 week time frame because your body is still adjusting to the hey I'm working out at a regular interval phase. And when the increase in protein happened thats usually the time period when the body has fully adjusted anyways, so its not suprising that there was cell mass increase.

Second thing I would debate is that yes there is significant strength gains in WORLD CLASS BODYBUILDERS , but I'm guessing to be world class those bodybuilder probably would have to have been working out for at least 10 years, so I mean their bodies are probably well adjusted to taking in and utilizing that much protein. My guess is TDavis isn't really at that stage yet... so I would be really weary of telling him to take 4 times the RDA of protein, I mean that would be one hell of a rude awakening for his kidneys thats for sure.

So you know how I mentioned about doctoring articles to fit the needs of the results of how the researcher wants it, this is a prime example in my opinion of how they did that. Simple stuff of having a 6 week initial period instead of a 8 week one, and using bodybuilders as subjects rather than normal joes can easily fit the results that you want them to fit.

So food wise, since i dont invest in WHEY or any other of those supplements, what would be a good "diet" so to speak if i was lookin to add maybe 5-10lbs of muscle in the upper body over the next 2-3 months?

I mean diet isn't a big deal in terms of body building its what you want. It makes life easier for you if you are having a controlled calorie diet like I said if you eat 2000 you burn 2000 you don't gain weight... if you eat 2500 and burn 2000 you're gonna store 500 kcal... if you eat 2000 burn 2500 you lose 500 kcal of fat...

So food has more influence on cutting down fat than gaining stregth to be honest.

If you want to gain strength/muscle its very simple... just keep lifting weights. Do you have full access to a gym or do you just do home dumbell work?

I mean diet isn't a big deal in terms of body building its what you want. It makes life easier for you if you are having a controlled calorie diet like I said if you eat 2000 you burn 2000 you don't gain weight... if you eat 2500 and burn 2000 you're gonna store 500 kcal... if you eat 2000 burn 2500 you lose 500 kcal of fat...

So food has more influence on cutting down fat than gaining stregth to be honest.

If you want to gain strength/muscle its very simple... just keep lifting weights. Do you have full access to a gym or do you just do home dumbell work?

well with school n all, it's been more or less just the basic excerises, but now that school's out, ill be able to get back to the gym, might go back there startin today, but that'll depend if there's anything to do. lol

Im basically lookin to transport my excess belly fat ( which really isnt much but to me it is) to my chest, takin away the belly wont be too hard since i'll soon start my trainin for the NY marathon. But still.

Sorry for the double post and misinformation earlier...1 gram of protein per lb of body weight is high...here is a good read

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archiv...in-overuse.html

Notes from the article....

- they used a mix of 10g protein, 8g carbs, 3g fat.... So nothing like the extent of what muscle mags (50-100g) say is good for the body...

- also the subjects were cyclists (endurance subjects) than body builders (strength subjects)

- they tested strength subjects... but they didn't use pure protein they used broken down protein in the form of amino acids, which the body can readily process.

-"Interestingly enough, there was no significant difference in net protein uptake between the essential-amino-acid drink and the mixed beverage." So basically muscles easily absorbs any type of amino acids good or bad as long as they are in the blood.

- they then tested it to say that taking protein before is better than after, I mean it makes sense right? If you take it before its in your body already so its processed why you are working out rather than waiting till after you work out to be processed. I mean you fill your tank before you drive your car not drive your car and then fill your tank...

- "Basically, the current, reasonable belief is that athletes engaged in regular, strenuous training may need about 1.6 to 1.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day" Key words: athletes, engaged and strenuous. If you have been doing it for awhile then fine fair enough 1.6 to 1.8 seems fairly reasonable. But if you are just starting out and you body has never experienced that much protein before start off low at 0.8 ot 1.0 and once you get into routine then work your way up to 1.6 to 1.8.

- Probably the best info in the website... "As long as you have a fairly typical western diet and you are not deliberately restricting your food intake in the belief that “thinner is better”, your protein intake is probably fairly good. If you weigh 60 kilograms (132 pounds), for example, a protein-intake level of 1.7 grams per kilogram would have you shooting for 102 total grams of protein per day, which could be met merely by taking on three ounces of meat (21 grams protein), three ounces of fish (21 grams), one glass of milk (8 grams), one cup of oatmeal (6), two cups of rice (18), three cups of mixed vegetables (15), and two ounces of cheese (14). A strapping 80-kilo (176-pound) athlete would only need 34 additional grams of protein, which could come from one and one-half extra cups of rice (13 grams) and an extra three-ounce slab of fish (21). Obtaining adequate protein to clamp down on contractile protein loss is not that difficult."

I mean you don't actually need a lot of protein to function properly. I'm recommending somewhere between 0.8 and 1.0 to start off, and if you look at the recommendations at 1.7 you're looking at roughly half those servings.

well with school n all, it's been more or less just the basic excerises, but now that school's out, ill be able to get back to the gym, might go back there startin today, but that'll depend if there's anything to do. lol

Im basically lookin to transport my excess belly fat ( which really isnt much but to me it is) to my chest, takin away the belly wont be too hard since i'll soon start my trainin for the NY marathon. But still.

Yeah I mean thats not to hard then if you have a full access to a gym then you're set. Basically its good know what your RPM (rep max) once you know that you can adjust your workout accordingly.

easiest is to just pop onto here and just punch in numbers...

If you want to do it a more personal way just get a bud to spot you and see what you can do, if you are looking at chest basic bench press is the easiest. Just load up what you think is the max weight you can do 1 rep with (remember its not a simple 1 second push up you're done, you should be redfaced by the time you do your RPM), he'll need to spot you or you'll have the classic weight room accident... and find out what it is. Once you know then for the first week just keep doing bench presses at 60% of your rep max. 8 reps 4 sets. Then do the same with dumbell flys and cable cross overs if you have access to those. Keep everything the same 60% of RPM. Then just add 5% of your RPM every week. In about 3-4 weeks time you'll probably see a slight increase to your RPM. Adjust it to the new RPM and same thing back to 60% and work up to 80%... and repeat it again... that should take you to the 12-13 weeks and by then you should easily be increasing your RPM probably 20-30% from what you originally started with (depending if you give up or not though).

In terms of your belly fat the best way is just what I've been harping on all night, just create an energy imbalance. You know the numbers 3,850 kcal loses you 1 kg of fat. So in theory you need to create an imbalance of around 500 kcal per day to lose 1 kg of fat per week. It;s easier said than done. To start off it;s better off to shoot for 1 kg per 2 weeks, that way its only about 250 kcal per day. That's not too much a brisk walk on a treadmill for 40 minutes at 3-4 mph will probably burn that off. To lose the gut just keep doing cardio, bike to work, jog in the morning walk to the fridge 20 times in a ball game.. anything that gets you moving you're burning energy. More you move more you burn.

Yeah I mean thats not to hard then if you have a full access to a gym then you're set. Basically its good know what your RPM (rep max) once you know that you can adjust your workout accordingly.

easiest is to just pop onto here and just punch in numbers...

If you want to do it a more personal way just get a bud to spot you and see what you can do, if you are looking at chest basic bench press is the easiest. Just load up what you think is the max weight you can do 1 rep with (remember its not a simple 1 second push up you're done, you should be redfaced by the time you do your RPM), he'll need to spot you or you'll have the classic weight room accident... and find out what it is. Once you know then for the first week just keep doing bench presses at 60% of your rep max. 8 reps 4 sets. Then do the same with dumbell flys and cable cross overs if you have access to those. Keep everything the same 60% of RPM. Then just add 5% of your RPM every week. In about 3-4 weeks time you'll probably see a slight increase to your RPM. Adjust it to the new RPM and same thing back to 60% and work up to 80%... and repeat it again... that should take you to the 12-13 weeks and by then you should easily be increasing your RPM probably 20-30% from what you originally started with (depending if you give up or not though).

In terms of your belly fat the best way is just what I've been harping on all night, just create an energy imbalance. You know the numbers 3,850 kcal loses you 1 kg of fat. So in theory you need to create an imbalance of around 500 kcal per day to lose 1 kg of fat per week. It;s easier said than done. To start off it;s better off to shoot for 1 kg per 2 weeks, that way its only about 250 kcal per day. That's not too much a brisk walk on a treadmill for 40 minutes at 3-4 mph will probably burn that off. To lose the gut just keep doing cardio, bike to work, jog in the morning walk to the fridge 20 times in a ball game.. anything that gets you moving you're burning energy. More you move more you burn.

Yea im not worried at all bout my belly, I'll be running about 80 miles a week soon at high runners speed, not jogging, add that in with trips to the gym, playin football and stickball throughout the summer, i'll be burning a ton of calories off a day.

Yea im not worried at all bout my belly, I'll be running about 80 miles a week soon at high runners speed, not jogging, add that in with trips to the gym, playin football and stickball throughout the summer, i'll be burning a ton of calories off a day.

yeah then the gut should be gone in no time.

no no for sure it's not race related but like you mentioned it does have to do with genetics... and it goes way back to times of slavery. I mean when african americans were selected as slaves they go after the bigger ones, so generally speaking the african americans who were victims of slavery are genetically predisposed to muscular development than perhaps their white counter parts. So I mean it is kinda stereotype but there is a scientific basis for that stereotype.

LOL it's funny i was totally going to post that same explanation but i thought that it was a little too close to a CoC violation so i held back. B) And yes i agree.

Yeah I started working out hard like 2 years ago (my Junior year) and worked out all year, then tore my ankle this year and didnt work out for like 2 months so Ive lost alot. Does anyone know of a website that can tell you how many reps you should do at a certain amount of weight? I know thats the best way to get stronger faster is to work up the weight each set which is what I do but the weight I use is just how much I can do, it doesnt really have anything to do with my max, if that makes any sense. Thats what Im trying to get my football coach to do is give me the sheet we used to use that told us how many reps, sets and all that should be good. As far as my diet goes, I need to cut out the carbs (not completely) and increase my protein intake. I looked at the Advocare protein shakes I take, and both that I take have a combined like 37 grams of protein which is only like 1/4th of how much I should be taking so I def. need to increase that area. Im starting to eat alot of fruit now instead of nibbling on like junk food. I also cut out my caffeine intake and im trying to drink just water now, and some gaterade G2. If I had the money I wish I could go to like a nutrionist to tell me what my current diet is like (like all the %'s of everything im getting) and what it should be like but that would cost way too much money and you dont need that really. Im also dont know that much about fitness so most of the stuff Ive said is probably wrong.

Yeah I started working out hard like 2 years ago (my Junior year) and worked out all year, then tore my ankle this year and didnt work out for like 2 months so Ive lost alot. Does anyone know of a website that can tell you how many reps you should do at a certain amount of weight? I know thats the best way to get stronger faster is to work up the weight each set which is what I do but the weight I use is just how much I can do, it doesnt really have anything to do with my max, if that makes any sense. Thats what Im trying to get my football coach to do is give me the sheet we used to use that told us how many reps, sets and all that should be good. As far as my diet goes, I need to cut out the carbs (not completely) and increase my protein intake. I looked at the Advocare protein shakes I take, and both that I take have a combined like 37 grams of protein which is only like 1/4th of how much I should be taking so I def. need to increase that area. Im starting to eat alot of fruit now instead of nibbling on like junk food. I also cut out my caffeine intake and im trying to drink just water now, and some gaterade G2. If I had the money I wish I could go to like a nutrionist to tell me what my current diet is like (like all the %'s of everything im getting) and what it should be like but that would cost way too much money and you dont need that really. Im also dont know that much about fitness so most of the stuff Ive said is probably wrong.

Well the thing is working out is a long term tedious thing... there really isn't a fast way to get stronger faster unless you take roids of course... I gotta head back to work, but I'll post some more info for you at lunch.

Basically if you read the above post it should give you a general guideline of what you should do. Find out your RPM and if you are looking for strength gains work at roughly 80% of your RPM. Try to aim for 4-8 reps, and 2-3 sets. It's not that hard to make gains in strength and if you keep at it it'll naturally come.

Yeah I mean if you look at that example you're having a protein shake that only has 37 grams of protein in it. But if you look at a small tin of tuna (100g?) you're probably looking at as much protein in a tin of tuna than the shake. So I don't know how much the shakes are costing you but a can of tuna probbably is a few bucks a much chepaer option in my opinion...

Food Analyzer

I know I had a program in my Sports Nutrition class that was pretty good all you had to do was just input and it churns out all the numbers for you. If anything you can try googling it. Above one is alright not the best I've used though.

To be honest you already know what the good foods and the bad foods are most 5 year olds probably know... Basically if you are stuffing your face full of food not good, if you are eating reasonable you're doing fine. Plus if you do enough cardio you'll be alright.

I dont have long, but I wouldn't dont do many sets with anything lower than 8 reps myself. That was actually something I remembered from an exercise phys course. B) I usually just go off of feel. If I can get something 8X with good form, perfect, hopefully you will feel when you can jump up a bit in weight. Remember to always watch form and pace. You can mess with your number of reps usually on your combo exercises(6-10 reps)...ie the ones that use more than one muscle to assist more. Examples of combos would be any presses, squats, overhead dumbbell extension for tri's & I almost always start my muscles group with these exercises. Then end with isolation exercises and I usually do at least 12 of those. The biggest thing to understand is the lower the reps/higher weights=building towards strength and power & the higher reps/lower weight sets benefit muscular endurance more. All are good, but it is what you are looking for when making the choice of weight/reps. I also do anything I can with dumbbells just for the added range of motion. But again if you trying to work higher on your % of 1 maximum rep, then it might be smart to use barbells and machines. Sorry for any scattered thoughts, long day. Cheers

I dont have long, but I wouldn't dont do many sets with anything lower than 8 reps myself. That was actually something I remembered from an exercise phys course. B) I usually just go off of feel. If I can get something 8X with good form, perfect, hopefully you will feel when you can jump up a bit in weight. Remember to always watch form and pace. You can mess with your number of reps usually on your combo exercises(6-10 reps)...ie the ones that use more than one muscle to assist more. Examples of combos would be any presses, squats, overhead dumbbell extension for tri's & I almost always start my muscles group with these exercises. Then end with isolation exercises and I usually do at least 12 of those. The biggest thing to understand is the lower the reps/higher weights=building towards strength and power & the higher reps/lower weight sets benefit muscular endurance more. All are good, but it is what you are looking for when making the choice of weight/reps. I also do anything I can with dumbbells just for the added range of motion. But again if you trying to work higher on your % of 1 maximum rep, then it might be smart to use barbells and machines. Sorry for any scattered thoughts, long day. Cheers

No you make a really good point...

If you can rep anything over 10 reps and 4 sets then it's much too easy for you. It's like the adage no pain no gain. You should be working hard at every rep not cruising through. 8 is just a rough guideline it really should be anywhere between 6-10 per set. But yeah generally go off feel. If you feel good and sore after your workout its what's supposed to happen.

Yeah you hit it right on the button, if you want strength aim towards even 4-6 reps per set at high weight. If you want endurance go low weight and high reps.

Imma bump this, mainly as a reminder/motivation for myself.

I just haven't been getting into the gym at all, and I'm up to about 217 lbs now. I'm going to go through bodybuilders.com tonight (already been browsing a bit today) and maybe order a couple supplements. I was taking supps earlier this year, just can't think of their damn name... I need to lose weight (my belly mainly) and get cut. The info in this thread and everything over at bb.com should be enough for me to try something new. B)

Haha me too man, me too. I havent really worked out like Ive wanted to for over a month now.. (4-5 times a week) Im getting my deviated septum fixed on Wed and I cant work out for a week after that so I dont really see a point in me working out today or tomorrow and then not working out for a week, just seems like a waste to me. I also need to be totally committed before I tell myself what Im going to do and spend alot of money on supplements. The supplements I plan on taking are my advocare Muscle Gain (I drink before I work out) and my Muscle recovery (after I workout) and then my vitamins.

Does anyone know of good Vitamins to take? I know theres a bunch out there but I used to take the GNC sport multivitamins... and I know alot of yall dont like GNC because they like to rip people off.

Multivitamins, for the most part, are a scam. Most of us get our daily percentages from the food we eat. If you don't, you should. Really the only one most lack is Vitamin D because we get it from the sun and many are either not out enough or have sunblock on which blocks the absorbtion of Vitamin D. Otherwise, it's probably not necessary.

Gotlaid and skoodog

no no for sure it's not race related but like you mentioned it does have to do with genetics... and it goes way back to times of slavery. I mean when african americans were selected as slaves they go after the bigger ones, so generally speaking the african americans who were victims of slavery are genetically predisposed to muscular development than perhaps their white counter parts. So I mean it is kinda stereotype but there is a scientific basis for that stereotype.

Sorry guys to hijack this thread, but i have to get this off my chest......

Genetics need more than 200 years to actually change you......it's a very slow process.....

I just wanna respond to this 1/2 truth myth because yes genetics do play a role in predispositions, but what about the cultural ascpets of things here...........seriously what about the rest of the african americans that can't run/jump/dunk or catch a football (and there is a lot of them).........

and to prove your point.....BASEBALL is full whites and latinos, doe that make them better at baseball, NO, it's just that baseball isn't a sport practiced much in african american communities and in the poor hoods, it costs too damn much..... football and basketball come cheaper.

it's sad that people think this when everyone has the potential to do it...if you're young and healthy.....get in the gym and work out and stop using crap as excuses.......

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT RACE YOU ARE.

Read this...

http://madsci.org/posts/archives/2002-03/1...79056.Ge.r.html

http://www.kenanmalik.com/essays/olympics.html

Now go and lift and eat right.. B)

To properly contribute to the thread, i just recommend www.bodybuilding.com...that website saved me from doing all the wrong movements and help me develop a better workout......although Muscle & Fitness magazine did help too......it kept me focused.......which is something i need right now.....i haven't worked out in a week....time to move my butt!!!

Does anyone know of good Vitamins to take? I know theres a bunch out there but I used to take the GNC sport multivitamins... and I know alot of yall dont like GNC because they like to rip people off.

Thanks to whoever bumped this thread. Didn't know it was here. I'll have to read through it when I get some time. Regarding multivitamins, yes GNC is a ripoff. Bodybuilding.com that was mentioned will save you a ton of money, not to mention gas. I just started taking Animal Pak this past week. It's hard to say if it does any good yet, but you have to think taking 11 pills would have to benefit you in some way. I like the fact that it has Amino Acids, and it's one of the top 10 sellers on the site. I was reluctant at first, b/c it seemed kind of pricey. The recommended dosage is 2 packs though, but at the bottom it says to take only one pack unless you are in intense training, which I don't think most of us here would qualify for.

see I dont like taking stuff that requires you to take multiple dosages.. like theres some stuff out there you have to take 2 pills morning, afternoon and night and i dont like doin that but I dont know if they work or not and all that stuff. And the GNC stuff I was taking had amino acids but yeah it was like 35 bucks for a months supply and Ill browse the BB website.

To properly contribute to the thread, i just recommend www.bodybuilding.com...that website saved me from doing all the wrong movements and help me develop a better workout......although Muscle & Fitness magazine did help too......it kept me focused.......which is something i need right now.....i haven't worked out in a week....time to move my butt!!!

Good call. I am a personal trainer and purchase all of my products for myself and clients online through them. Even with the shipping charge you'll save big time over GNC and get a better product to boot. Since my orders are always over $200 I get an additional 10% off too.

And like you mentioned they have good training articles that newbies would find especially helpful too.

I 100% reccomend investing in a Whey protein product for anyone interested in adding lean muscle mass or that is even a weekend athlete. When you factor in the money you save from buying extra meat and egg products it is a very worthwhile investment.

For example you can purchase a 10 lb bag of Optimum Whey at bodybuilding.com for around 79 bucks. It contains over 200 servings at 24 grams protein per serving. This lasts even a hardcore trainer 3 months and last most of my clients 6 months.

I am personally using Cytosport Complete Whey low lactose currently. The 10 pound crate lasts me around two months but I am on the high end of protein intake of around 275 grams per day.