Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tdavis20

Fitness Training

Haha me too man, me too. I havent really worked out like Ive wanted to for over a month now.. (4-5 times a week) Im getting my deviated septum fixed on Wed and I cant work out for a week after that so I dont really see a point in me working out today or tomorrow and then not working out for a week, just seems like a waste to me. I also need to be totally committed before I tell myself what Im going to do and spend alot of money on supplements. The supplements I plan on taking are my advocare Muscle Gain (I drink before I work out) and my Muscle recovery (after I workout) and then my vitamins.

Does anyone know of good Vitamins to take? I know theres a bunch out there but I used to take the GNC sport multivitamins... and I know alot of yall dont like GNC because they like to rip people off.

A great multi that I reccomend for my clients that are athletes or hard core weekend warriors is AST's Multi Pro 32x. I'm not sure if its available at GNC since I buy all my supps at bodybuilding.com. Someone mentioned Animal Stak in this thread too. Animal Stak is also a good product but many people don't like having to take all of the pills that the Animal Stak packets contain.

Don't forget adding a fish oil or flaxseed product to get your omega 3's too.

You said your a personal trainer, and one thing I have heard from many people is to take your weight and thats how many grams of protein you should intake. Is this true, or is it a little bit more. You said you take 275 grams a day so it is probably more, like one and a half? Also, I used to take creatine so I could get a little more "extra" energy before I worked out, but after playing football my coach recommended I didnt since it hurts your joints so what would you take for that extra energy?

You said your a personal trainer, and one thing I have heard from many people is to take your weight and thats how many grams of protein you should intake. Is this true, or is it a little bit more. You said you take 275 grams a day so it is probably more, like one and a half? Also, I used to take creatine so I could get a little more "extra" energy before I worked out, but after playing football my coach recommended I didnt since it hurts your joints so what would you take for that extra energy?

I personally use a creatine ethyl ester product that I mix with whey and sip while I workout. I believe creatine works but I wouldn't recommend creatine before a football practice since it tends to make many users feel the need to pee. Here is a link to an article but take it with a grain of salt, its not the " wonder supp " that this article makes it out to be. Remember the article is written mostly to get you to buy the product.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html

I weigh 240 lbs and cycle between 1 gram and 1 1/2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. I am on the low end now since I am training to get down to around 215 lbs for an American Gladiator audition. I would recommend that you get a realistic grasp of how much protein your actually consuming before you drastically increase its consumption. Many take in far more protein than they realize, for example failing to factor in late night trips to drive thrus with friends. Once you know your daily gram protein intake I say try and target around one gram per pound of bodyweight if your goal is gaining lean muscle mass. Don't overdue to it since too much protein can overtax your kidneys.

As far as pre-workout energy the best thing for that is making sure your getting adequate sleep first and foremost. Also stay away from so called " energy drinks " since many contain far too much sugar which actually causes your blood sugar and energy levels to crash. I consume some complex carbs and some protein about an hour and 15 minutes before my workout. Todays choice was oatmeal and 4 eggs with only two yolks. 30 minutes before my workout I'll sip a strong cup of coffee while I visualize my workout, grab some motivational music and off I go.

Post level meals are as equally important. I'll consume about 30 grams of whey protein in a drink post workout and pop a couple of frozen waffles into the toaster to eat with some sugar free or low sugar fruit topping. You want to add some quick acting carbs like fruit to your postworkout meal to spike your insulin levels.

Also don't forget to drink plenty of water during your workout. Just because you may see alot of guys carrying their own water around the gym there is no need to do that unless you just can't stand the taste of the water out of the fountain.

Great article - I had always written off creatine as a weight-gainer but according to that article there are some fat-loss elements to the way it works as well (a goal that is important to me as someone who can't lower BF to save his life).

I think in addition to your whey protein comments it's important to note that whey protein is most efficient right after workouts - you want to consider a balanced protein intake over your day, particularly overnight. Overnight it's best to have some form of casein protein which is slower burning than whey's rapid-burning properties.

I take an EAS blend of soy, whey and casein protein (which is based TOTALLY on laziness - it was at Costco when I needed it). I'll let you know the results. Typically I try to make sure my protein comes from fairly natural sources like eggs, chicken, turkey, etc. and not rely on supplements for intake. However when i supplement I take half a shake before i run in the mornings and then a full shake after i lift when i get home from work. I do this based on an article I read on BB that for a leaner physique you take your protein before cardio and then the common knowledge among bodybuilders that you have a PWO shake after lifting to rebuild the muscles you just stressed after your workout.

Great article - I had always written off creatine as a weight-gainer but according to that article there are some fat-loss elements to the way it works as well (a goal that is important to me as someone who can't lower BF to save his life).

I think in addition to your whey protein comments it's important to note that whey protein is most efficient right after workouts - you want to consider a balanced protein intake over your day, particularly overnight. Overnight it's best to have some form of casein protein which is slower burning than whey's rapid-burning properties.

I take an EAS blend of soy, whey and casein protein (which is based TOTALLY on laziness - it was at Costco when I needed it). I'll let you know the results. Typically I try to make sure my protein comes from fairly natural sources like eggs, chicken, turkey, etc. and not rely on supplements for intake. However when i supplement I take half a shake before i run in the mornings and then a full shake after i lift when i get home from work. I do this based on an article I read on BB that for a leaner physique you take your protein before cardio and then the common knowledge among bodybuilders that you have a PWO shake after lifting to rebuild the muscles you just stressed after your workout.

I believe if your general goal with that is to cut fat, I would suggest that you run in the mornings on an empty stomach. Reason why being that if you have nothing in you when you begin running, your body will turn to your bodyfat storage for energy, thus causing fat burning at a quicker rate rather than having some form of carbs in your stomach for it to draw from that. I've read something along those lines on BB (a great site, I must say) and I find it to make much sense. I personally take that half a shake before I lift, followed by a heavier post workout shake, of course.

Imma bump this, mainly as a reminder/motivation for myself.

I just haven't been getting into the gym at all, and I'm up to about 217 lbs now. I'm going to go through bodybuilders.com tonight (already been browsing a bit today) and maybe order a couple supplements. I was taking supps earlier this year, just can't think of their damn name... I need to lose weight (my belly mainly) and get cut. The info in this thread and everything over at bb.com should be enough for me to try something new. B)

I've been goin quite a bit lately for the past month or two. But yeah, the best way to get back to going is to dish out some $$$ for a new supplement or something.

I'm in some of the best shape I've ever been in though, and up to 190+ lbs. for the first time woot woot.

I've been goin quite a bit lately for the past month or two. But yeah, the best way to get back to going is to dish out some $$ for a new supplement or something.

I'm in some of the best shape I've ever been in though, and up to 190+ lbs. for the first time woot woot.

Give me a break. B) I could only wish right now.

Haven't been working out much lately...gotta get back to it. I'm fine weight wise (200 6'2'') but definately out of shape and need to tone up. It'll happen when I get a job and can afford gymn membership, or wherever we move to has a fitness center...I hate working out, so it has to be super convenient for me to do it.

I've been goin quite a bit lately for the past month or two. But yeah, the best way to get back to going is to dish out some $$$ for a new supplement or something.

I went from 175 freshman year in college to 200. Now back @ 177.

It's all about the stairmaster and doing 100 flights of stairs everytime at the gym.

It's all about the stairmaster and doing 100 flights of stairs everytime at the gym.

Those are a beast.

I'm not quite sure about the numbers, but I think the average freshman gain 16 pounds within his first year. I'll have to look it up - but I can see how the late nights, drinking, fast-food/cafeterias and obscene inactvity can lead to this.

Glad you got down before it got worse.

I believe if your general goal with that is to cut fat, I would suggest that you run in the mornings on an empty stomach. Reason why being that if you have nothing in you when you begin running, your body will turn to your bodyfat storage for energy, thus causing fat burning at a quicker rate rather than having some form of carbs in your stomach for it to draw from that. I've read something along those lines on BB (a great site, I must say) and I find it to make much sense. I personally take that half a shake before I lift, followed by a heavier post workout shake, of course.

There is some truth to what you are saying but there are studies done that will also claim doing cardio on an empty stomach will also start to cannibalize muscle tissue after your bodies glycogen storages have been depleted. If someone is in reasonably good cardiovascular condition and would like to burn bodyfat while keeping muscle mass I'd reccomend they at least eat a small bowl of cereal or oatmeal or at the very least have some fruit instead of doing the empty stomach routine.

And if you belong to a gym introduce yourself to the stepmill.... It will kick your butt...

There is some truth to what you are saying but there are studies done that will also claim doing cardio on an empty stomach will also start to cannibalize muscle tissue after your bodies glycogen storages have been depleted. If someone is in reasonably good cardiovascular condition and would like to burn bodyfat while keeping muscle mass I'd reccomend they at least eat a small bowl of cereal or oatmeal or at the very least have some fruit instead of doing the empty stomach routine.

And if you belong to a gym introduce yourself to the stepmill.... It will kick your butt...

Yes, I agree completely. Left that part out of my original statement, but yes. Obviously, if you have low bodyfat already, such a technique wouldn't need to be hastily utilized.

I'm not quite sure about the numbers, but I think the average freshman gain 16 pounds within his first year. I'll have to look it up - but I can see how the late nights, drinking, fast-food/cafeterias and obscene inactvity can lead to this.

It's called the Freshmen 15 IIRC

Those are a beast.

I remember stairs...I was on the varsity tennis team in highschool. We did a TON. Also running several miles. Through the getto - got chased by a dog once.

I also gained the freshman 15 - the coffe house in the dorm was great for late night study snacks (ramen etc) but not so great for fitness.

I remember stairs...I was on the varsity tennis team in highschool. We did a TON. Also running several miles. Through the getto - got chased by a dog once.

I also gained the freshman 15 - the coffe house in the dorm was great for late night study snacks (ramen etc) but not so great for fitness.

I couldn't gain the freshman 15 if my life depended on it. It's physically impossible for me to gain any weight. Which is very aggravating to me. I want to bulk up, but I'm stuck in a skinny body, despite working out regularly for the last 3 years.

Damn my metabolism

anyone have any tips?

Ever do stairs with a 280 lb lineman on your back?

As the story goes: I played volleyball freshman through junior years of high school. We always had to do stairs, but my sophomore year, our coach decided that we should have partners, and we'd have to carry our partner up one flight of stairs for our last workout before real practice.

Well a buddy of mine was our starting varsity guard/tackle all throughout high school. He was a big boy, and actually very mobile for his size. He figured he would give volleyball a shot, and was pretty successfully as our center (the person who usually is in charge of the net and anything in the middle).

Yeah, he was my partner for the stairs. All 6'5" and 280 lbs of him.

I couldn't gain the freshman 15 if my life depended on it. It's physically impossible for me to gain any weight. Which is very aggravating to me. I want to bulk up, but I'm stuck in a skinny body, despite working out regularly for the last 3 years.

Damn my metabolism

anyone have any tips?

Yes. Cycle your caloric intake up 500 - 750 grams per week. In other words eat every 2-3 waking hours even if your not hungry. Make sure your eating real food at least 4 times per day ( if not more ) and then you can supplement a weight gain shake between meals and before bed. Just be prepared to blow up the bathroom but it will work!

Damn my metabolism

anyone have any tips?

That used to be me. But keep eating and keep lifting. Agree fully with the post by Samson above^.

LOL well it was mainly from post rehab surgery for my shoulder w/ an assist from the fraternity days.

Yes. Cycle your caloric intake up 500 - 750 grams per week. In other words eat every 2-3 waking hours even if your not hungry. Make sure your eating real food at least 4 times per day ( if not more ) and then you can supplement a weight gain shake between meals and before bed. Just be prepared to blow up the bathroom but it will work!

You'd be surprised what I've tried. As of now, I'm already just about always eating. And it's usually because I'm always hungry.... I was hoping to be able to accomplish my goal without supplements, but I may have to give them a shot. Thanks guys

Damn my metabolism

anyone have any tips?

I hear ya with that. It seems like the only way i can put on weight is if i sit on my a** eating junk food for 2 weeks straight. And i still would only gain about 5 lbs. I remember senior year in HS, i put on about 15 lbs, mostly muscle but with a little fat. Then i go to the hospital for a week, and im right back down to 140. Uhh. lol Im also one to eat pretty much any opportunity i can, but to no avail. My metabolism mixed in with my cardio/lifting regime keep me at about 150 now.

I hear ya with that. It seems like the only way i can put on weight is if i sit on my a** eating junk food for 2 weeks straight. And i still would only gain about 5 lbs. I remember senior year in HS, i put on about 15 lbs, mostly muscle but with a little fat. Then i go to the hospital for a week, and im right back down to 140. Uhh. lol Im also one to eat pretty much any opportunity i can, but to no avail. My metabolism mixed in with my cardio/lifting regime keep me at about 150 now.

Do less cardio...?

There was a month that I ate nothing but crap, just to see if i could even gain a little fat. Scale didn't flinch

Do less cardio...?

yea i know that that would help a lil bit. But I ran track for 4 years, and love running. I know, hard to believe. But i do. Im only lookin to gain like 10 lbs in the upper body, chest and arms really, cuz my legs are ripped, i have those coke bottle calves. Im just a twig once you get to the upper body though. I guess if i want to put on the weight, ill have to take a week or two off from the cadio and focus on muscle gain. Then go back to my running regimin.