Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tdavis20

Fitness Training

There was a month that I ate nothing but crap, just to see if i could even gain a little fat. Scale didn't flinch

Did u just sit on ur a** and be lazy too???

yea i know that that would help a lil bit. But I ran track for 4 years, and love running. I know, hard to believe. But i do. Im only lookin to gain like 10 lbs in the upper body, chest and arms really, cuz my legs are ripped, i have those coke bottle calves. Im just a twig once you get to the upper body though. I guess if i want to put on the weight, ill have to take a week or two off from the cadio and focus on muscle gain. Then go back to my running regimin.

One/two weeks off is not gonna help you. If you want to make gains, I'd suggest you'd have to sacrifice and really back off on cardio. Maybe for three/four weeks, and focus completely on mass building.

One/two weeks off is not gonna help you. If you want to make gains, I'd suggest you'd have to sacrifice and really back off on cardio. Maybe for three/four weeks, and focus completely on mass building.

But i dont wanna!!!! B):)

I couldn't gain the freshman 15 if my life depended on it. It's physically impossible for me to gain any weight. Which is very aggravating to me. I want to bulk up, but I'm stuck in a skinny body, despite working out regularly for the last 3 years.

Damn my metabolism

anyone have any tips?

Instead of chewing gum, chew bacon.

Did u just sit on ur a** and be lazy too???

I did try that, yes.

I did try that, yes.

Hmm, i say go to some restureant, go to the back of it, and chug one of their grease buckets!!!

Then immediately call the ER to restart your heart.

Instead of using bread, use poptarts.

what flavor is closest to 100% whole wheat??

You gotta do what you gotta do. B)

Yea i cant see myself going that much time without cardio. Did bout 50 minutes on the excercise bike today, and like 500 jumping jacks cuz the weather was too bad outside to run or go to the gym. But i also did 5 sets of 21's for curls, and my usual home chest excercise. Hopefully tomorrow will be better out so i can actually get to the gym and park. Where yes, i'll be doing cardio. It's like a drug what can i say.

Yea i cant see myself going that much time without cardio. Did bout 50 minutes on the excercise bike today, and like 500 jumping jacks cuz the weather was too bad outside to run or go to the gym. But i also did 5 sets of 21's for curls, and my usual home chest excercise. Hopefully tomorrow will be better out so i can actually get to the gym and park. Where yes, i'll be doing cardio. It's like a drug what can i say.

Lol, the reverse is true for me. Not much of a fan of cardio.

There was a month that I ate nothing but crap, just to see if i could even gain a little fat. Scale didn't flinch

You are what we call in the fitness biz an ectomorph, someone who has a slender build no matter their caloric intake. I've known many ectomorphs over the years that were like say 6'1" 165 in their early 20's and by thier mid 20's grew into mesomorphs and added 40 lbs. The key is staying the course with good nutrition, consistent weight training, and plenty of sleep.

You'd be surprised what I've tried. As of now, I'm already just about always eating. And it's usually because I'm always hungry.... I was hoping to be able to accomplish my goal without supplements, but I may have to give them a shot. Thanks guys

If your goal is weight gain and you've tried increasing your caloric intake without any results I'd recommend two things. During your next physical or trip to the doctor ask him to do a metabolic blood screen to check your thyroid. If everything looks normal there I would definitely invest in a protein powder. Don't blow your money on a weight gainer powder, buy a good protein and make it a weight gainer yourself. You'll save a ton of money this way. Example..

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

You can purchase a 10 lb tub of On Whey protein for around 80 bucks. This will give you 155 servings, or roughly 2 servings per day for almost 3 months. This will add 48 grams of protein to your daily intake. By mixing it with whole milk, peanut butter, bananas, you can easily double the protein intake, while increasing your total caloric intake.Two shakes per day can add over 1,200 calories per day. The key is to use the drinks as a SUPPLEMENT, not a meal REPLACEMENT. Keep eating 4 -5 meals per day and add the shakes and you'll get there.

You are what we call in the fitness biz an ectomorph, someone who has a slender build no matter their caloric intake. I've known many ectomorphs over the years that were like say 6'1" 165 in their early 20's and by thier mid 20's grew into mesomorphs and added 40 lbs. The key is staying the course with good nutrition, consistent weight training, and plenty of sleep.

Yea, I'm stuck at 5'7 140 and have been for the last few years. 19 yrs old as well. The only thing I don't get is plenty of sleep.

If your goal is weight gain and you've tried increasing your caloric intake without any results I'd recommend two things. During your next physical or trip to the doctor ask him to do a metabolic blood screen to check your thyroid. If everything looks normal there I would definitely invest in a protein powder. Don't blow your money on a weight gainer powder, buy a good protein and make it a weight gainer yourself. You'll save a ton of money this way. Example..

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

You can purchase a 10 lb tub of On Whey protein for around 80 bucks. This will give you 155 servings, or roughly 2 servings per day for almost 3 months. This will add 48 grams of protein to your daily intake. By mixing it with whole milk, peanut butter, bananas, you can easily double the protein intake, while increasing your total caloric intake.Two shakes per day can add over 1,200 calories per day. The key is to use the drinks as a SUPPLEMENT, not a meal REPLACEMENT. Keep eating 4 -5 meals per day and add the shakes and you'll get there.

Thanks AS. Great advice, I'll definately be trying this!

It's called Steriods. lol B)

It's called Steriods. lol B)

I've honestly contemplated it, but I'd prefer to avoid them

sureeeeeeeeeeeee Roger B)

No need for junk juice. 140 lbs at 5'7" is not that thin. I was 165 lbs at 5'11" at your age and now weigh 235 at 16% body fat drug free. Even as a drug free professional trainer I've never been one to criticize professional athletes if they choose to add pharmaceuticals to their training regimen. Big difference between someone earning multimillions choosing that option vs someone as young as you and just starting out. Stay far away.........

tisk tisk tisk...

ive faced the same problem, but im only 17 so i dont worry about it...yet. i just workout and stay in shape for now, and once i get older i will start worrying if im not getting more muscle mass.

tisk tisk tisk...

ive faced the same problem, but im only 17 so i dont worry about it...yet. i just workout and stay in shape for now, and once i get older i will start worrying if im not getting more muscle mass.

There is nothing wrong with having a lean build. No need to roid up just to gain some muscle mass. There's nothing good that can really come out of changing your natural metabolic processes just to gain some muscle. Although I two would like if i can turn my 5'8" 145 figure to 5'8" 155-160. But I can only do what my body allows me to do.

No need for junk juice. 140 lbs at 5'7" is not that thin. I was 165 lbs at 5'11" at your age and now weigh 235 at 16% body fat drug free. Even as a drug free professional trainer I've never been one to criticize professional athletes if they choose to add pharmaceuticals to their training regimen. Big difference between someone earning multimillions choosing that option vs someone as young as you and just starting out. Stay far away.........

Yea. I look really thin even though I'm not 'underweight'. It looks like I have muscle, I'm toned. But the muscles never get bigger. I know the whole "few reps, more weight for bigger muscle. and More reps, less weight to tone" saying, and I'm definatley getting stronger, just doesn't look like it in appearance. I do have very very very little body fat, which I'm proud of, but I figure since I'm 19 I'd just let my body grow naturally before I get too worried and resort to any supplements

Well time for me to get to the gym. Havent gotten there in about a week now cuz of work all the time. So this will be my first real workout since about a week now. And yes i'll be doin cardio too. lol

There is nothing wrong with having a lean build. No need to roid up just to gain some muscle mass. There's nothing good that can really come out of changing your natural metabolic processes just to gain some muscle. Although I two would like if i can turn my 5'8" 145 figure to 5'8" 155-160. But I can only do what my body allows me to do.

yea i dont get why people use roids to gain muscle mass...messes you up.

and i just wanted to redo what i said...i noticed it kinda looks like ive faced the problem of thinking about using roids...i meant it as i face the problem of not being able to gain muslce mass no matter what i do... lol i just didnt want it taken the wrong way. especially since im SO against any type of performance enhancing drugs.

yea i dont get why people use roids to gain muscle mass...messes you up.

and i just wanted to redo what i said...i noticed it kinda looks like ive faced the problem of thinking about using roids...i meant it as i face the problem of not being able to gain muslce mass no matter what i do... lol i just didnt want it taken the wrong way. especially since im SO against any type of performance enhancing drugs.

Na dont worry, i didnt take it that way. My post was more of a response to both you and RSD's post. But yea im the same way in my views on PED's.

Yeah, steriods are overrated anyway. To consider them the absolute fix to weight gaining is just silly, IMO.

As far as some of you guys' inability to gain weight, I'd suggest taking whey. Now. Everyday, like AS suggested above. It's not as outlandish as some of you may think. It's actually derived from milk, so it's a great and effective whey (pun intended) to gain mass naturally. Eat well and lift strong, and you'll start seeing results.