Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tdavis20

Fitness Training

Dang ive been reading Bodybuilding.com for about the last hour and Im going to try and do the 12 week program this guy put on there. Its pretty nice he gives you a list of foods to eat and what days to work out and what days you should do aerobic training. Basically the guy said to:

Eat 6 meals a day with the foods on the list

Have an off day out of the week to where you can eat whatever you want

Workout 3 days out of the week and do aerobic training 3 other days out of the week with an off day

Have atleast 4-7 days rest before working out the same body parts (ex: Day 1-Chest, Day 5- Chest)

and im sure theres a bunch I've missed but I will add on later when i finish reading.

Sounds sweet. Can you post up the link?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/guide1.htm its an online book so just go through each tab and you will feel better about working out next time.

I skimmed over it, reading a few things in detail, but that looks extremely helpful to someone that doesn't already have a plan/routine. That's a very well written article. :)

*There's no way in hell I could eat that much though... holy Jesus. B)

man theres a ton of stuff you can do to strengthen your core, upper body, and even some muscle groups in your legs with a bum ankle.

try leg lifts and sit ups and have your work out buddy drop medicine ball on your stomach for every rep - hell just leg lifts alone will get those abs screamin - get a book man, or have someone show you.

Wow im looking at the products on bodybuilding.com... looking to get creatine and protein stuff and there are just so many products, its hard to choose! Anyone recommend a creatine product? Im looking to get a powder I could put in like gatorade or my protein drinks or something

Bump for my story, which I'm sure there are enough people here on the site who have either dealt with or know someone who has since weight loss is a common occurence.

I used to be in pretty good shape when I got out of HS. That was 8 years ago. Back then I was in JROTC, so I used to work out on a regular basis, where I was doing pushups/situps and a 2 mile run maybe 4 times a week when I was at my peak. Since then, I've basically stopped working out, ate a lot of crap that people shouldnt be eating, or doing anything to maintain my old physique. I would estimate Ive gained 70 lbs since then. Obviously, its at the point where its embarassing but I am starting to worry about the long-term effects. Not to mention I am in my mid 20s now, so I need to do this soon if I'm gonna do it at all in my life, since it won't happen in my 30s-40s. Anyways, I'm basically looking for a gradual weight loss program, so hopefully I work myself back to a point where I can run a mile or so without feeling like my heart is gonna explode or anything like that.

However, if there is one thing that is more difficult than anything else, its sticking to a workout once you start. I have tried at least 3 times to get back to where I was but for one reason or another Ive always quit (inconveince of getting to a gym, hated the diet, etc). I also realize its not realistic to be able to run a half mile or doing 20 pushups without my face exploding or whatever, but obviously I need to start somewhere. So what would be a good way to start getting back into the swing of things. Even if its something as simple as do 3 sets of 10 situps and work your way up.....it just seems so overwhelming I dont know where to begin.

Now with the hard part.....dieting. Unfortunately I do come from an Italian family so I love to eat. My main questions with that would be as long as I stick to trying to make smart decisions (like whole grain/whole wheat breads, grilled chicken, salads, all that crap) and cut out the sodas, fast foods, and alcohol, will I eventually see results with a gradual workout? What foods should I be avoiding at all costs? Forgive me if it sounds like dumb questions, but I'm willing to bet there are some foods I should be avoiding that may sound a little surprising since it might have empty carbs or a lot of sugar.

I have read in the past that some people believe that eating several smaller meals a day is good since it would help reestablish the metabolism. I do try to get 3 meals a day in just so its not just one big meal. I will admit that I have a bad habit of eating late (usually because I'm out drinking and we want diner food). I'm not sure if its a matter or will power or anything like that.....I have had other situations in my life where if I set my mind to something I get it done, but when it comes to food I have been very impulsive so I think I can do it this time around.

Anyways, there's my fat rant. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Wow im looking at the products on bodybuilding.com... looking to get creatine and protein stuff and there are just so many products, its hard to choose! Anyone recommend a creatine product? Im looking to get a powder I could put in like gatorade or my protein drinks or something

I'm using something right now called Superpump, it's kind of a big mix of lots of amino acids & stuff, including creatine. You just mix it with water. I guess it helps some, but I'm not a big believer that creatine does all that much. It makes your muscles hold more water, so sometimes people think they're getting bigger because of that. Protein is key though. If you're going to buy one supplement, get a huge tub of protein powder and have a shake or two a day. In terms of brand I really don't think it matters. I generally just buy whatever whey protein is on sale. You can spend a ton on protein if you buy one of the big brand names but you don't really need to.

Now with the hard part.....dieting. Unfortunately I do come from an Italian family so I love to eat. My main questions with that would be as long as I stick to trying to make smart decisions (like whole grain/whole wheat breads, grilled chicken, salads, all that crap) and cut out the sodas, fast foods, and alcohol, will I eventually see results with a gradual workout? What foods should I be avoiding at all costs? Forgive me if it sounds like dumb questions, but I'm willing to bet there are some foods I should be avoiding that may sound a little surprising since it might have empty carbs or a lot of sugar.

I have read in the past that some people believe that eating several smaller meals a day is good since it would help reestablish the metabolism. I do try to get 3 meals a day in just so its not just one big meal. I will admit that I have a bad habit of eating late (usually because I'm out drinking and we want diner food). I'm not sure if its a matter or will power or anything like that.....I have had other situations in my life where if I set my mind to something I get it done, but when it comes to food I have been very impulsive so I think I can do it this time around.

Anyways, there's my fat rant. Any and all advice is appreciated!

If you want to lose weight the first thing you'll need to do is cut out the late night binges on crap food. You should also cut back on the drinking, you don't have to completely stop but you won't lose much weight otherwise. Beer is just loaded with empty calories. Eating more meals a day is great for your metabolism. Alot of people recommend eating 5 meals a day. If you can't do that, keep eating your 3 meals a day, just make them smaller and have a healthy snack in between(thats generally what I try to do). In terms of food there is a reason the high protein/low carb diets are so popular. Carbs your body doesn't use for energy turns to fat. Eat alot of lean chicken, either grill it or bake it with a little seasoning but not much else. If it's too plain you can eat it with salsa, which is pretty healthy. Fish is good too, baked or grilled. Limit your beef to maybe once a week. Try to limit your sugar(bad carbs). If you're not sure about something look on the back of the container at the nutrition info, it'll show how much of the carbs are sugar. Sticking to your diet can be tough so working in a cheat day is fine, e.g. one day a week you can eat whatever you want. Don't go overboard on your cheat day though, its pointless to diet well all week and then wipe most of the progress out by binging on your cheat day.

In terms of working out, CARDIO. You don't need to go nuts, just 2-3 times a week go for a run. Bang out some pushups & situps before or after too if you can work it in. You really will see results if you're diligent with your diet and running.

If you want to lose weight the first thing you'll need to do is cut out the late night binges on crap food. You should also cut back on the drinking, you don't have to completely stop but you won't lose much weight otherwise. Beer is just loaded with empty calories. Eating more meals a day is great for your metabolism. Alot of people recommend eating 5 meals a day. If you can't do that, keep eating your 3 meals a day, just make them smaller and have a healthy snack in between(thats generally what I try to do). In terms of food there is a reason the high protein/low carb diets are so popular. Carbs your body doesn't use for energy turns to fat. Eat alot of lean chicken, either grill it or bake it with a little seasoning but not much else. If it's too plain you can eat it with salsa, which is pretty healthy. Fish is good too, baked or grilled. Limit your beef to maybe once a week. Try to limit your sugar(bad carbs). If you're not sure about something look on the back of the container at the nutrition info, it'll show how much of the carbs are sugar. Sticking to your diet can be tough so working in a cheat day is fine, e.g. one day a week you can eat whatever you want. Don't go overboard on your cheat day though, its pointless to diet well all week and then wipe most of the progress out by binging on your cheat day.

Protein shakes make it rather easy to get 5 meals a day in. If you watch your diet and keep up on the cardio, you will see results. As far as meals to stay away from, I'd say there's quite a few. Cutting out sugars (regular soft drinks, desserts, etc.) is where I'd start.

Protein shakes make it rather easy to get 5 meals a day in. If you watch your diet and keep up on the cardio, you will see results. As far as meals to stay away from, I'd say there's quite a few. Cutting out sugars (regular soft drinks, desserts, etc.) is where I'd start.

Also, Trans fat is a killer. In that case, it would be wise to avoid many fast food places with the exception of KFC and Chikfila.

I'm using something right now called Superpump, it's kind of a big mix of lots of amino acids & stuff, including creatine. You just mix it with water. I guess it helps some, but I'm not a big believer that creatine does all that much. It makes your muscles hold more water, so sometimes people think they're getting bigger because of that. Protein is key though. If you're going to buy one supplement, get a huge tub of protein powder and have a shake or two a day. In terms of brand I really don't think it matters. I generally just buy whatever whey protein is on sale. You can spend a ton on protein if you buy one of the big brand names but you don't really need to.

'Studies have shown' the vast usefulness of creatine and has been proven time and time again how effective it is at building mass. So, if one were so insistent on a creatine product, I've heard good things about ProLab's Creapure (which is, as its name suggests, pure creatine). The only creatine product I have really only ever used is Cellmass, which I do give a thumbs up to.

Superpump is more of a preworkout N.O. booster rather than a creatine supplement. That being said I like to pose the question to you, D-Bag, does superpump deliver upon it's promise? How has your vascularity, energy, and pump improved during workouts while using the product?

Superpump is more of a preworkout N.O. booster rather than a creatine supplement. That being said I like to pose the question to you, D-Bag, does superpump deliver upon it's promise? How has your vascularity, energy, and pump improved during workouts while using the product?

I've tried Superpump and NO-Xplode in the past. I wasn't a fan of Superpump at all. I did end up using NO-Xplode for a second cycle (if that's what you want to call it). NO-Xplode has caffeine in it, which gives you a little energy boost before you hit the gym. You will build a tolerance to it though. I think I may try White Flood when I go back to a N.O. booster next.

It's hard to say, I think it does help a little, like towards the end of workouts when I"m usually wearing down I think I have more energy. But then again it could be all psychological. I definitely don't think it makes a huge difference for me at least. I probably won't buy another tub after I finish the one off I'm currently using.

I have heard of NOExplode also. My coworker had tried them both and said they were similar, but he preferred Superpump, so thats why I gave that one a try.

I've tried Superpump and NO-Xplode in the past. I wasn't a fan of Superpump at all. I did end up using NO-Xplode for a second cycle (if that's what you want to call it). NO-Xplode has caffeine in it, which gives you a little energy boost before you hit the gym. You will build a tolerance to it though. I think I may try White Flood when I go back to a N.O. booster next.

White Flood did absolutely nothing for me.

If you guys want stims for working out, just hit the coffee pot, seriously. Or ask for samples at your local vitamin shop!

Working out is my greatest hobby and I know a lot about it so I can answer questions and stuff if you guys have any... I'll read this last page again and offer my advice to the Giants avatar guy later on.

What do you guys Bench Press/Squat/Deadlift?

White Flood did absolutely nothing for me.

If you guys want stims for working out, just hit the coffee pot, seriously. Or ask for samples at your local vitamin shop!

Working out is my greatest hobby and I know a lot about it so I can answer questions and stuff if you guys have any... I'll read this last page again and offer my advice to the Giants avatar guy later on.

I've heard some great things about NO Xplode. However, tolerance is always built towards these types of things. A common theme I hear among many is how they complain that it doesn't work. In my estimation, those individuals might be neglecting the empty stomach rule. That goes for pretty much all NO boosters. I'm currently using Xpand from Dymatize. I don't see much vascularity blooming, but I do feel the energy. And I'm not completely on e when I use it anyway.

My Bench sucks, due to working out alone with no training partner. But I've just been starting to religiously deadlift, and I'm up to about 335x4-6. I'm 5'6'' 168lbs. But numbers aside, I do think that comparing stats is quite needless.

It's just fun. And amazing DL for your weight bro... I'm 5'8 176 and I'm up to 250 3x5.

I don't really pay much attention to the stats, I'm not one of those guys who carries around the little notebook and writes down every exercise/set/rep. On bench I usually rep a 45 & 25 on each side or sometimes a 45 & 35. In terms of maxing out I've got no clue, I haven't tried to max out in a long time. I don't do deadlifts. I haven't squated for awhile either, on my leg days I just use machines. I've had to go light on legs lately because I've been in a cutting phase & doing alot of cardio and my left knee has had some soreness, so I don't wanna aggravate it by going too heavy on legs and mess up my cardio.

I see, I see. I'm on a bulk right now and gaining great strength, it's such fun. I love weightlifting.

I see, I see. I'm on a bulk right now and gaining great strength, it's such fun. I love weightlifting.

Bulking up is definitely way more fun than trying to cut. I'm going to try to make it to like mid-June then ease back on the diet, I'm getting so sick of the same boring meals. I'm with you though, don't know what I'd do with my free time without lifting.

Yeah man, I cut from 220 at like 40% down to 150 last year, haha. Now I have no strength, so trying to build it up.