Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Jonathan Schoop 2015 Outlook

this guy is 23 and he hit 16 hrs last year and he plays 2b, a horribly thin position. why does he get no love? i don't know.

Because he is only a cheap power option at 2b, and even the power isn't anything to bowl you over. I like him as a bench option, but he's hard to get frothy over.

this guy is 23 and he hit 16 hrs last year and he plays 2b, a horribly thin position. why does he get no love? i don't know.

I like him as an endgame pick in deeper leagues, but his biggest issue is plate discipline. Schoop has a lot of tools, but probably the worst plate discipline in the league. Dude hasn't seen a pitch he doesn't like. A 2.7% BB rate and a 41% O-Swing last year. If he can take his plate discipline from unbelievably atrocious to merely well below average, then that would be a huge step in him becoming a fantasy asset. He has a similar approach as Adam Jones, but Jones is an outlier. There are very few guys who can succeed swinging at everything. But, watching Jones and Schoop, Jones at least has an idea of what he's doing at the plate, as aggressive as he is. Schoop. at times, has appeared as if he's just going up there with his eyes closed and swinging at pitches he couldn't reach with a boat oar.

yea that's what im pretty much thinking, if im shut out at 2b, or don't like who i got, this guy looks like a great end game flier. you'd think he's young enough to improve in the power department and his plate discipline. crazier things have happened.

How much of Schoop's playing time will Everth Cabrera will eat into? Is there a competition there?

How much of Schoop's playing time will Everth Cabrera will eat into? Is there a competition there?

I think it really depends on how Schoop starts out. If he's swinging the bat well, then I think Cabrera will be a utility man. If he struggles, then I think it will turn into a timeshare. Schoop has talent, so I have to believe the Orioles want to see him take the job and run with it.

wow, everth cabrera. he sucks. i was one of his last true believers too... yea, i wouldn't worry about everth.

I certainly think Everth Cabrera is going to have some value this year. Like mjk356 said, it all depends on Schoop. He has power, but man is his plate discipline horrible. Cabrera at least has shown that he can take a walk and work some pitches.

Maybe a two week fill-in for Rendon ?

In relation to Schoop, I agree with MJK - if he hits, Everth bounces around the diamond. If he doesn't, Everth likely has a home 3-4 games per week.

There's a lot of hate on Cabrera, and he was banged up and downright terrible last year... but when healthy, he is a pretty dynamic fantasy player who should have a ton of multi-eligibility goodness. Showalter has said he wants to use Everth at as many as 6 different positions.

We're not that far from a .283/.355/.381 line with 37 SBs in 95 games. Yeah he got hurt, but my goodness you gotta love that half season (in which he was named to the NL All-Star team).

At this age they start to get comfortable and checking out his power progression no reason to think he does not have 20 HR or more this year with 450+ AB's

From what I have seen when this dude totally figures it out, this year, next year, whenever I want on board because it is gonna be magic and fantasy gold at the MI spot fo sho and would easily propel him into a late 2nd early 3rd rounder after he shows his hand.

At this age they start to get comfortable and checking out his power progression no reason to think he does not have 20 HR or more this year with 450+ AB's

From what I have seen when this dude totally figures it out, this year, next year, whenever I want on board because it is gonna be magic and fantasy gold at the MI spot fo sho and would easily propel him into a late 2nd early 3rd rounder after he shows his hand.

Are we talking about the same Jonathan Schoop? The guy who hit .245/.324/.386 in 485 ABs at AA? The guy who raked to the tune of .278/.330/.460 across rookie ball, low-A, and AAA?

He's got some pop, but you gotta do better than .209/.244/.354.

Has been having a nice little start to season. Though hasn't drawn a walk. Probably won't draw many of them, he'll still be aggressive. Just a matter of selective aggressiveness + making good/better contract for him and tapping into his power potential.

Are we talking about the same Jonathan Schoop? The guy who hit .245/.324/.386 in 485 ABs at AA? The guy who raked to the tune of .278/.330/.460 across rookie ball, low-A, and AAA?

He's got some pop, but you gotta do better than .209/.244/.354.

Age to level.

He was fast tracked to the majors because of his glove mostly. His bat wasn't ready obviously...doesn't mean his potential isn't real. Doesn't mean it'll be this year though..

Isn't he safe because JJ Hardy is on the DL and Cabrera is covering shortstop. Baltimore doesn't have much choice but to play Schoop.

They have Flaherty but he sucks with the bat.

he gets 2 weeks to prove he can hit then it is Everth's show

Not really. Buck love's Schoop's defense. No one turns the double play better than Schoop.

Schoop has already shown enough with the bat that he'll stay at 2B when Hardy returns. Everth or Flaherty will get sent down once Hardy is back.

He hits the ball hard. Im keeping my eye on him. Not ready to add yet

He's been having a lot better at bats so far.

anything to see here? Minor league numbers or whatever? Or just a hot start..

With full time PT, could push to be a top power option at 2B, but the AVG is going to be a drain.

like dozier a few years back?

Naw this guy can be a bigger drain on your avg.

The guy doesn't walk and K's too much.

He's a good add right now however because he's hot, but the moment he stops hitting, you should look somewhere else. His avg last season was despicable.