Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Have I completely lost it?

check out the sig... i'm keeping three sps, felix, sale, and harvey, all at very good round value.

so when it comes to my 12 and 13 wheel pick in the first round, how about i go two more aces? how about i pick Max and D Price.

Imagine i have a staff of felix, sale, max, harvey, price.

I think i can do it b/c i'm very confident in the belief that virtually all hitters are equal this year. why should i pick the likes of adrian gonzalez and matt kemp and beltre and on and on type of not sure thing and boring bats in the first few rounds. I'd much rather grab the Duda's and Arcias and those guys late.

I'm really confident in all this. so why am i posting for affirmation?

I just dunno if i'll lose my nerve.

keep in mind, trout, stanton, miggy, goldschmidt, abreu, those guys are being kept in this league, so the best bat i think i can get at pick 12 overall is like Cano/Freeman/Harper

what say you?

You are wrong my friend. While you can have a crazy good staff with 5 aces, there is not much a difference between 3 aces and 2 #3 starters that you can get later compared to Cano/Freeman/Harper over Duda + some random. Cano is a fringe first round pick for a reason, and with Cruz and Seager surrounding him, Cano will have even more counting stats this year. Freeman/Harper, either of which you choose, is also a top player at their position. Offense is hard to come by in this era, pitching is much easier. That can be seen by the number of 30+ home run hitters the past few years compared to the past. Offense is always the way to go

I like the gutsiness of the idea, but would need to know more about what bats are available. I mean, you're purposely disregarding players who produce at an elite level (A-Gon, Beltre specifically) because they're "boring," but if you're bored with them then think how bored you'd be with Lucas Duda and Oswaldo Arcia.

I don't mean to be totally dismissive of your concept, because I was just in a keeper league auction and the hitter profiles after the first couple rounds were kind of inter-changeable, as you say. There are a boatload of speed-only or power-only dudes and the ones who blend the two (Josh Harrison, Leonys Martin, etc.) who are actually some of the best values if you're going with this type of strategy.

So in summary, I like your boldness but just make sure you're drafting a team with some "star" hitters that you'll be able to rely on all year.

Help with mine, if you can

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=513419

i worry that im being over confident and too bold, mainly b,c i've been on such a hot streak in fantasy of late

but i might argue that my strategy is actually being conservative. i consider SPs in this era to be safe picks. hitters have become so up and down. the idea of bryce harper or hanley or altuve or victor martinez being a safe early round pick baffles me.

Draft more hitters, and wait till the later rounds for SP.

I like your 3 SP keepers of course, but I'd look to tie up a hot productive keeper bat as well. So many SP's spring up over the year, you'll be able to find a 4/5 or even 6 SP typically, even if it means streaming hot hands and good match-ups.

Try telling the owners of Jose Fernandez, Zack Wheeler, Tanaka, Lee, Cobb, etc how "safe" pitching is..... the idea on the surface is intriguing but how many total categories does your league score? How many are directly related to having 5 aces while having zero bats?

Whether they are boring or not, guys like Beltre and Adrian are steady high level players that can contribute just as much to the offensive side as an ace pitching can contribute to the pitching side. If you want to take your chances relying on Duda, Arcia, players of that ilk playing at a higher and more consistent level then thats your prerogative...... but to me feels like trying to fill your needs with lottery tickets.

Pitching is very deep and plentiful, while offensive power is becoming more and more scarce every year. I'd would much more prefer Cano over another ace pitcher. There are a lot of value hitters in the middle rounds like Calhoun, JD Martinez and Bruce. It's a bold strategy where you have to dominate your pitching cats and snipe a few hitting category like SBs every week. If you think you can pull it off, go ahead. I personally wouldn't.

I agree with going hitting with those 1st two picks. With those 3 pitchers you already have a better starting 3 than most people in your league I would imagine. Don't let them get a huge advantage offensively without grabbing guys like Cano/Freeman/Altuve/Harper to anchor your offense.

While having a staff like you mentioned does make any fantasy player wonder "what if" it just seems too risky to me. Just look at how many pitchers have already gotten hurt this spring. There are plenty of arms in the mid to late rounds you can round out your staff with and still have a dominant 5.

At the very least grab two hitters with those first two picks then get another pitcher if you really feel the need to at your next turn around