deuce4off

Jorge Mateo - SS/2B NYY

They also have Didi who is still young and plays a very good defense

• Like 1

Up to 5 HRs for Mateo...

Billy Hamilton smh!

Is he moving up your list George? He seems like a top 15 prospect for fantasy purposes.

I had him at #29 before the season and was on the verge of ranking him higher...that was pretty bold at that point.

It's hard to fit everyone into the top 10 but I can't see how I'd be able to leave Mateo out at this point. He's awesome and could be HUGE in roto leagues.

• Like 1

With the pop he is showing I'm starting to think of his ceiling being closer to Jose Reyes than Dee Gordon. Not sure he'll ever hit 19 homers like Reyes did at one point, but he definitely seems like he could hit 5-15 and swipe 50+ bags. Of course this would be his ceiling, but that ceiling is a top 10 player in fantasy. Reyes was a top 3 player at his peak.

He might not hit for as high of an average as Reyes, but the power and speed potential seems comparable.

With the pop he is showing I'm starting to think of his ceiling being closer to Jose Reyes than Dee Gordon. Not sure he'll ever hit 19 homers like Reyes did at one point, but he definitely seems like he could hit 5-15 and swipe 50+ bags. Of course this would be his ceiling, but that ceiling is a top 10 player in fantasy. Reyes was a top 3 player at his peak.

He might not hit for as high of an average as Reyes, but the power and speed potential seems comparable.

I could see this power surge coming, once I saw him this spring. He's a big, lean specimen. There's nothing slight or frail about him...and he swings really hard. He's been doing a great job of getting on base and he seems to have a very legitimate hit tool with some decent pop. I would say he's still a 12-15 HR guy right now, but he's starting to make me think that he could maybe be an 18-22 HR guy.

Mateo is unbelievably impressive.

Says in there that it's not a full time move, which is how it had been presented before. If he's playing both and it's a way to increase his versatility, then by all means play him at 2b some.

I still disagree with the move full time, regardless of Didi or Castro, and certainly not to leave Wade there -- a utility IF at best if he even hits enough to be that.

As someone who recently acquired Mateo in a keeper league, I am loving the talk on here! Dan Farnsworth Fangraphs prospect guru loved Mateo coming into the year, and I put a lot of stock in that.

With the increased pop this year and park that he'll play in (hopefully) I definitely see Jose Reyes type potential here. Not hear anything damning about his hit tool either, think he should easily be able to hit .280 with his speed?

Love this guy as a future fantasy MI option, he should be talked about more.

The Jose Reyes comps are legit imo. Tonnes of talent.

Didi is actually a VERY good shortstop now, and he might still improve offensively.  I wonder if the yanks would trade Castro to a contender, so they can make room for Mateo at 2nd???

anyone else think this is a decent idea?

My apologies if there is another thread for this guy but I can't seem to find any.Been offered Mateo for my #1 pick in next years draft.League is a 20 teamer with 28 roster spots,keep 20.Currently have Kettle Marte as my SS.Can anyone give me the low down on Mateo?Is he good value for the pick being sought,which could be anywhere from 1-6 pick.Thanks in advance for any input.

On 6/23/2016 at 4:45 PM, jfazz23 said:

Didi is actually a VERY good shortstop now, and he might still improve offensively.  I wonder if the yanks would trade Castro to a contender, so they can make room for Mateo at 2nd???

anyone else think this is a decent idea?

Sure, or trade Didi, he still can't hit.

1 minute ago, swfcdan said:

Sure, or trade Didi, he still can't hit.

He's virtually tied for 2nd on the team in BA at .287 and has shown considerable strides in K-rate/contact rates. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

He's virtually tied for 2nd on the team in BA at .287 and has shown considerable strides in K-rate/contact rates. 

This. And he has basically matched his stats from last year in half the at bats going into his prime years playing great D. They won't trade him unless they can get a good haul. Best chance Mateo is up is if Castro moves to third and they dump Headley. 

• Like 2

Yankees suspend Jorge Mateo for two weeks

The Yankees suspended infield prospect Jorge Mateo for two weeks due to a violation of team policy.

Advice: This shouldn't have a lasting effect on Mateo's major league prospects one way or another. The only real tangible offshoot is that the 21-year-old right-hander will not be allowed to participate in the Futures Game. The speedster was hitting .266/.323/.396 with eight triples, five homers, 34 RBI and 26 steals at High-A Tampa prior to this suspension. Rotoworld.com Today, 9:34 pm

Must have grown a beard...

That alludes to the fact that mouthing off might not have been the reason. Yikes, either way.  

Let your bat do the talking, son.

Let's not bury the kid just yet... he's clearly bored and frustrated he's still in Single A.  It's not an excuse for not performing, but he crushed it in ST and crushed it in April, felt like he should've been promoted, wasn't, and apparently shut 'er down.

He's a young kid... I'm sure we all did plenty of stupid stuff at 20.  Talent is still there... my guess is he'll figure out how to be a professional and work at his craft like it's a job instead of just a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFS171 said:

Let's not bury the kid just yet... he's clearly bored and frustrated he's still in Single A.  It's not an excuse for not performing, but he crushed it in ST and crushed it in April, felt like he should've been promoted, wasn't, and apparently shut 'er down.

He's a young kid... I'm sure we all did plenty of stupid stuff at 20.  Talent is still there... my guess is he'll figure out how to be a professional and work at his craft like it's a job instead of just a game.

Agree and am holding. But I have nagging doubts about the Yankees' ability to bring guys around. FTR I don't know organized baseball from a hole in the ground. But I know that institutional culture plays a huge role in developing talent, and in education I've seen again and again how "he just didn't pan out" is used to plaster over disfunctional instruction.

The timing of this -- slump, suspension, futures game, unflattering shout in NY Post -- screams organizational s***-show. Can't help your game to sit at home and read the papers putting words in your mouth. I'm not there so I can't know, but from 30,000 feet it sure looks like a well trusted, supportive voice might have had him working through his frustrations in the batting cage. 

Edited by bdy1
weird line break

This kid really dropped off the face of the earth after that blazing hot start. If it wasn't for his eye popping 82 stolen bases last yr, I don't know that I'd still even be following him. I think the Yanks picked up a couple of really good prospects in their recent trades that might help to light a fire under this kid

Edited by scoh123

MLB.com still really likes him and has him at 18 in their prospect rankings, clearly not too worried about the slump to end last year. Will be interesting to see where the consensus ranks him, his speed potential is game changing especially in fantasy with steals down. In fact he's probably a very good buy low now in keepers/dynasties. Speed like his doesn't grow on trees, look how bad Hamilton/Gordon are at hitting and the value they still provide, Mateo can still become a better hitter than Hamilton with more pop than both imo.