Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

ESPN Baseball Tonight 2015 Outlook

I've tuned in a handful of times this year after having only watched MLB network for the past few years, and its a total joke. it seems ESPN is going out of its way to NOT sell the game to younger audiences.

where to begin?

ok, so it seems like they are hell bent in simply making it a round table of short white dorky guys. no offense to short white dorks (olney, law, kurkjan, ravich), but your strongsuits aren't marketing to younger kids.

what's more, they are also so caught up in referencing the history of the game and facilitating round table discussions about teh gashouse gang. look, i know the games history is awesome and should be celebreated, remembered, honored. But the fact remains that history isn't an appealing hook for upcoming generations. And frankly, im bored of it myself at this point.

im sure you all saw the chris rock take, where he talks about how black people aren't all that enamored with baseball's obsession with 'the good ol days' ... and its one of the smarter things that's been said about why there's no blacks in the game.

the image of baseball is just not cutting it for the modern day, younger fan. and so what does espn do about it? they stuff it with a bunch of nerd writers and uncool ex players like dallas braden. the game is trending toward the nascar fanbase.

I have watched a grand total of perhaps 10 minutes of ESPN's non-broadcast baseball coverage since MLB Network went live.

I have watched a grand total of perhaps 10 minutes of ESPN's non-broadcast baseball coverage since MLB Network went live.

This. ESPN is where you go for your NFL, Tebow, Kobe or LeBron coverage.

Yea and the only thing baseball relevant in ESPN's world is A-Rod or when derek jeter is retiring, Derek Jeter.

Nothing grinds my gears more than when they break coverage from the Cards game (or any game for that matter, though it only seems that A-Rod is at landmarks when the cards are nationally televised--F YOU AROD!) to do a live look-in on A-Rod's at bat in which he ultimately ends up grounding out to short after a 10 pitch AB. Brutally painful.

Like others, MLB Network is where it's at.

ESPN is a lost cause from a baseball perspective. All they talk about are the Yankees and Red Sox, and it seems like that's also the only Sunday game they ever have. It's actually funny how ESPN can make me hate almost all sports. Their NFL coverage is suffocating and may as well be E! with sports and their baseball coverage is flat-out dry and uninteresting.

MLB Network at least has inspired personalities and people who truly love the game. MLB Tonight is a compulsory watch because you actually feel like you're watching parts of games with the pros, and the insight is fresh. I sometimes think they get a little rose-colored in their player assessments, but they are owned by the league, after all.

ESPN is a lost cause from a baseball perspective. All they talk about are the Yankees and Red Sox, and it seems like that's also the only Sunday game they ever have. It's actually funny how ESPN can make me hate almost all sports. Their NFL coverage is suffocating and may as well be E! with sports and their baseball coverage is flat-out dry and uninteresting.

MLB Network at least has inspired personalities and people who truly love the game. MLB Tonight is a compulsory watch because you actually feel like you're watching parts of games with the pros, and the insight is fresh. I sometimes think they get a little rose-colored in their player assessments, but they are owned by the league, after all.

I've actually been surprised at their candidness in some of their commentary. Same goes for pieces on MLB.com. They are often less PR-ish than ESPN's "reporting" on the NFL.

Would love to see them man up and hire Mitch Williams! He got a raw deal from the MLB Network

Mitch Williams was the least likable guy on that network so ESPN would be the perfect place for him.

ESPN Baseball broadcasts when Curt Shilling are on them have turned into can't miss watches. Whatever else he is he has turned out to be an extremely brilliant (and completely honest) color guy.

I do agree with almost all the rest of the criticism especially regards the endless A-Rod (tainted) record stuff and breakaways to cover it.

But some of us have no choice. I'm in a apt complex that doesn't allow satellite hook-up and our cable company dropped MLB Network from it's options this year from what they termed "lack of interest". (And no I'm not moving nor could I afford to move just to get a TV channel. Just saying the MLB Network isn't universally available).

The group that calls the Sunday Night games are amazing...but that's all I watch too.

Nothing's like watching MLB Tonight, hearing Harold Reynolds whistle every time someone smokes a ball and hearing Amsinger freak out like a little kid when something happens. LOL

So much fun to watch.

You forgot Tiger...

Kruk and Schilling hate each other. I love it.

Mitch Williams was the least likable guy on that network so ESPN would be the perfect place for him.

Not for me. I liked MW when he was on MLB. Dude pretty much said what he believed, and I've always liked hearing from a player's perspective.

The group that calls the Sunday Night games are amazing...but that's all I watch too.

Yeah that's the Shilling group. Sometimes they double up for some "important" game but usually it is just the Sunday night game.

Sometimes Shilling is on the Baseball Tonight show but I can't get his pattern down yet. He was on the other night when Pedro Martinez was on to discuss what the two of them learned from each other in 2004. Pedro was talking about how Shil divided the plate into 3 sections by inches and where it was safe to spot a ball by velocity per inches of the plate allowed and all. An actually intelligent discussion on ESPN. And not one mention of Tebow, LeBron, "Football Draft Day 2016 coming up soon", Tiger or even A-Rod. Who knew.

Ever since Law got suspended after his talk with Schilling I just can't take Schilling seriously

I've tuned in a handful of times this year after having only watched MLB network for the past few years, and its a total joke. it seems ESPN is going out of its way to NOT sell the game to younger audiences.

where to begin?

ok, so it seems like they are hell bent in simply making it a round table of short white dorky guys. no offense to short white dorks (olney, law, kurkjan, ravich), but your strongsuits aren't marketing to younger kids.

what's more, they are also so caught up in referencing the history of the game and facilitating round table discussions about teh gashouse gang. look, i know the games history is awesome and should be celebreated, remembered, honored. But the fact remains that history isn't an appealing hook for upcoming generations. And frankly, im bored of it myself at this point.

im sure you all saw the chris rock take, where he talks about how black people aren't all that enamored with baseball's obsession with 'the good ol days' ... and its one of the smarter things that's been said about why there's no blacks in the game.

the image of baseball is just not cutting it for the modern day, younger fan. and so what does espn do about it? they stuff it with a bunch of nerd writers and uncool ex players like dallas braden. the game is trending toward the nascar fanbase.

I'm kinda sick of hearing how there's no black people in baseball. There's tons of black people in baseball it's just that they've got Latino names not American ones.

Would love to see them man up and hire Mitch Williams! He got a raw deal from the MLB Network

They just didn't resign him or what? Forgot he was on there last season. Fwiw, I enjoyed him.

I hate "LOL", but I did it when I read this.

They just didn't resign him or what? Forgot he was on there last season. Fwiw, I enjoyed him.

He pretty much disappeared from the network after this incident at a Little League game:

http://deadspin.com/mitch-williams-ejected-from-childs-baseball-game-for-ar-1574736005

I always enjoyed him on MLB Network. Spoke his mind and gave that one-of-a-kind closer's perspective. Also had fun laughing at himself, his mullet, and some of the gross home runs he gave up over the years.

He pretty much disappeared from the network after this incident at a Little League game:

http://deadspin.com/mitch-williams-ejected-from-childs-baseball-game-for-ar-1574736005

I always enjoyed him on MLB Network. Spoke his mind and gave that one-of-a-kind closer's perspective. Also had fun laughing at himself, his mullet, and some of the gross home runs he gave up over the years.

The DC Sports Junkies were discussing MW yesterday and how he and Dykstra recently got into it at a roast event. Hilarious. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mitch-williams-lenny-dykstra-trade-ugly-jabs-article-1.2213806

The DC Sports Junkies were discussing MW yesterday and how he and Dykstra recently got into it at a roast event. Hilarious. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mitch-williams-lenny-dykstra-trade-ugly-jabs-article-1.2213806

Oh man, that is one of the most awkward things I've watched in a long time. They were both piss drunk (looked like Dykstra had even spilled some on his shirt) and that got personal in a hurry. Mitch needs a reality show.

ESPN is a total joke...That k zone they use right over the plate during games is ridiculous and distracting...All the other channels that broadcast games puts the k zone in the bottom corner of the screen, not over the plate...Get your head out of your @ss, ESPN...

When ESPN dropped Harold Reynolds it was time to move on. Like when they didn't bring back Sterling Sharpe and brought in Irvin. The Sharpe and Steve Young segments was the best NFL analysis. Nothing has replaced it. At least MLB picked up Reynolds.