Slatykamora

Jose De Leon - SP TB

You aren't alone that's for sure. It appears as if the whole 40-man-complication is keeping him down. I'm no longer holding my breathe. If he's called up it'll just be gravy.

I wont be at all surprised if DeLeon is moved in the off season. All the opportunity in the world to add him to the rotation at various points this season yet he sits in AAA. Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't scream to me that they're particularly infatuated with the kid.

4 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

I wont be at all surprised if DeLeon is moved in the off season. All the opportunity in the world to add him to the rotation at various points this season yet he sits in AAA. Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't scream to me that they're particularly infatuated with the kid.

They might trade him, but nothing to do with him not getting a chance right now. They could have got something good for him at the deadline if that were the case, or kept some of the guys they traded to the As.

Edited by brockpapersizer

Quoting the article above

Most teams have no trouble adding a player to the 40-man when a need arises; there are often three or four fringe players on the roster who can be designated for assignment without worry that it will hurt the team later. The Dodgers certainly have those kinds of players—see: Rob Segedin, Charlie Culberson, Casey Fien, Carlos Frias—but they also have eight players on the 60-day disabled list, and thus 48 players on their 40-man roster.

This glut of players creates a level of inflexibility that makes it all but impossible to put De Leon on the big-league club. While some 60-day DL guys are out for the season and therefore irrelevant to rostering decisions, the impending returns of Clayton Kershaw, Andre Ethier, Alex Wood, and Trayce Thompson mean that the Dodgers have to continue to occupy at least four 40-man spots with players they are willing to lose to other teams. If De Leon were added in the meantime, Andrew Friedman and company might ultimately be forced to part with something more than a bit player—say, Andrew Toles or Kiké Hernandez.

The best part is that it was against New Orleans, who gave De Leon by far his worst start of the season back on July 25th. This comeback start showed both mental toughness as well as the ability to make adjustments. It was an excellent developmental sign.

10 hours ago, blinkfan77 said:

It's become depressing to even do this...

7 IP, 1H, 0R, 0BB, 10K. No hitter into the 7th.

Outings like this are going to be very hard to ignore in the coming weeks in a division race. I think we'll see him up. 

• Like 1

If he does come up when rosters expand, will he face an innings limit? I know hes already 24. in my opinion that old enough to let the kid go out and pitch if they bring him up. Does anyone see him only getting a couple starts because he's limited?

34 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

If he does come up when rosters expand, will he face an innings limit? I know hes already 24. in my opinion that old enough to let the kid go out and pitch if they bring him up. Does anyone see him only getting a couple starts because he's limited?

Once youre over 20 it has to do more with how many innings you pitched last year than it does what age you are IMO.

He pitched about 110 last year and is at 80 now. I don't see any problem with him going another 50-60 which is probably not even possible with how much time is left. So no, I don't see innings as being much of a problem for him if he were to get a call.

1 hour ago, jwblue said:

His profile reminds me of Jose Berrios.

Flame away.

I think Jose Berrios is pretty awesome still. He just had it rough for his MLB transition with some things to work on going forward. He still has a very bright future.

So yes, like just about any pitching prospect, De Leon could get rocked in his cup of coffee..that doesn't mean its the expectation though...

I'd say JDL has better command than Berrios and it would translate to the Majors more seamlessly than Berrios.

Kazmir and Anderson to the DL.  Will DeLeon finally get the call?

Edited by jb_power

16 hours ago, jb_power said:

Kazmir and Anderson to the DL.  Will DeLeon finally get the call?

Rotowire has yet again speculated that he may 

The OKC dodgers Official Website had De Leon scheduled to start Saturday, and then changed it to Sunday. FWIW.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:

The OKC dodgers Official Website had De Leon scheduled to start Saturday, and then changed it to Sunday. FWIW.

Does this make it more likely he will be called up? I can't make any sense of it. 

28 minutes ago, itaos said:

Does this make it more likely he will be called up? I can't make any sense of it. 

I liked cause I'm easily confused by words like "Dodgers" next to "OKC". Evertime a girl smiles at me I think she wants to take me home that way . . .

Seems like worst case they bring him up and have to leave Bad-Pederson-Clone Trayce Thompson on the 60 day. Worth it considering the rotation.

Ya, all the rumblings are spawned from (as usual) one or two speculative write-ups that get Re-Tweeted and recycled throughout loads of Tweets that are out there. It's frustrating to sift through it all. There has been quite literally no reputable source or source close to the Dodgers with any inclination of JDL starting this weekend. CBS wrote a story purely speculating on how he should be up. Great. Tell us something we don't know.

This flat out ******* SUCKS. I'm sick of waiting.

The most ridiculous part of it all is that De Leon would without a doubt be better than any spare parts they have filling out the back end of the rotation/filling in for injuries.

Citing the 40-man roster log jam? Pu-lease. Try and tell me that JDL isn't far and away better than the other options. Try and convince me he wouldn't impact that team positively and breathe life into that rotation to go along with a returning Kershaw. 

You are insane Farhan Zaidi.

• Like 2

Well then what do you think the reason is? Dodgers are in a pennant race and have deep pockets. I don't buy they are holding him down for contract reasons. They called up Seager pretty late last year and they could have waited until next season. They brought up urias before Super Twos. 

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Well then what do you think the reason is? Dodgers are in a pennant race and have deep pockets. I don't buy they are holding him down for contract reasons. They called up Seager pretty late last year and they could have waited until next season. They brought up urias before Super Twos. 

Great question. I wish I had the answer. My post out of frustration is because I feel like there has to be a way to get this kid into the rotation. It's an act now, ask questions later situation to me. Might they lose a fringe roster guy under contract for another season when the many DL60 guys come back? Sure. But aren't those situations the fabric of what a GM has to do in a playoff/pennant race?

I mean look at all the callups over the past couple years. GM's find a way to deal with the hazards of getting the best players into the lineup. The Dodgers had a roster spot dedicated to Brett Anderson. If they are willing to do that for him,, why not a far more valuable asset? Dudes probably close to 30 and has had multiple major surgeries.  Isn't it worth risking losing him to have a bona-fide elite prospect pitcher with Ace pedigree pitching for you and gaining valuable experience in the playoff hunt?

Also, with September 1st a week away, doesn't that take care of any roster crunch issues they have? I suppose the Dodgers could cite that being the reason for lack of urgency. Just feels like there are ways they could have better handled this.

Edited by blinkfan77