Slatykamora

Jose De Leon - SP TB

9 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:

Great question. I wish I had the answer. My post out of frustration is because I feel like there has to be a way to get this kid into the rotation. It's an act now, ask questions later situation to me. Might they lose a fringe roster guy under contract for another season when the many DL60 guys come back? Sure. But aren't those situations the fabric of what a GM has to do in a playoff/pennant race?

I mean look at all the callups over the past couple years. GM's find a way to deal with the hazards of getting the best players into the lineup. The Dodgers had a roster spot dedicated to Brett Anderson. If they are willing to do that for him,, why not a far more valuable asset? Dudes probably close to 30 and has had multiple major surgeries.  Isn't it worth risking losing him to have a bona-fide elite prospect pitcher with Ace pedigree pitching for you and gaining valuable experience in the playoff hunt?

Also, with September 1st a week away, doesn't that take care of any roster crunch issues they have? I suppose the Dodgers could cite that being the reason for lack of urgency. Just feels like there are ways they could have better handled this.

I just don't know the intricacies of roster rules and loopholes.  If nobody has a better answer, I'm willing to believe the current system combined with the DL spots and roster crunch is the reasons.

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I just don't know the intricacies of roster rules and loopholes.  If nobody has a better answer, I'm willing to believe the current system combined with the DL spots and roster crunch is the reasons.

It has to be. Makes no sense otherwise. I'm fully aware that everything I said is a simple/lamen's way of approaching it as well. I still feel that there's a good chance other GM's would have handled this differently. I just have a hard time believing the value of having JDL pitching over the past few weeks in LA is outweighed by being cautious with the potential loss of roster assets. Especially given Sept. 1st being so close. I wonder why they didn't have the mindset of "well, if we call up Jose now, if Player X comes off the DL, we'll be able to work it so they're back after September 1st in order to no lose anybody."

There have to be better ways to handle this...

Edited by blinkfan77

2 hours ago, blinkfan77 said:

It has to be. Makes no sense otherwise. I'm fully aware that everything I said is a simple/lamen's way of approaching it as well. I still feel that there's a good chance other GM's would have handled this differently. I just have a hard time believing the value of having JDL pitching over the past few weeks in LA is outweighed by being cautious with the potential loss of roster assets. Especially given Sept. 1st being so close. I wonder why they didn't have the mindset of "well, if we call up Jose now, if Player X comes off the DL, we'll be able to work it so they're back after September 1st in order to no lose anybody."

There have to be better ways to handle this...

I'd love to see him up too. But they would have to lose someone to call him up...he's not on the 40-man roster - so it doesn't matter when they call him up, someone has to be waived.

The made room on the 40 man for the backup to the backup catcher but not De Leon?  Maybe they will replace Zarraga with De Leon tomorrow...or I'm just reaching 

Edited by itaos

I saw this on reddit, so I'm not verifying it was a blurb on ESPN

"This is the blurb on ESPN:

De Leon will not be called up to start Saturday against the Cubs, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports. Spin: De Leon will not come up Saturday as some had speculated (Julio Urias will get the nod), but those stashing the promising right-hander may only have to wait one additional day. Kenta Maeda has been pushed back to Monday, leaving Sunday's starter as "TBA." De Leon is currently listed as Sunday's probable starter for Triple-A Oklahoma City."

Edited by brockpapersizer
gut instinct

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com | @kengurnick | 27 minutes ago 
+
 4 COMMENTS

LOS ANGELES -- With the Dodgers' starting rotation being decided on a day-to-day basis, manager Dave Roberts on Friday announced that Julio Urias would start Saturday against the Cubs, and Urias just might be followed on Sunday by Jose De Leon in his Major League debut.

That second part went unsaid, however. Roberts named Kenta Maeda as the starter Monday in Colorado, where he has excelled, but took a pass on announcing a Sunday starter. De Leon is listed as the starting pitcher Sunday for Triple-A Oklahoma City, hence the speculation of his callup.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/197850008/will-dodgers-rotation-call-on-jose-de-leon/

3 hours ago, blinkfan77 said:

Absolutely. If it isn't...I'm going to lose my $#!+

Lose it.

Stewart on Sunday according to Alanna Rizzo and retweeted by Dodgers account. 

Edited by tootallball

It's clear we're waiting until September 1. Bummer, but thank god it's soon.

Edited by blinkfan77

5 hours ago, blinkfan77 said:

It's clear we're waiting until September 1. Bummer, but thank god it's soon.

De Leon needs to be added to the 40 man roster in order to be eligible for a September call up. Kershaw isn't even on the 40 man roster right now because he's on the 60 day DL, so when Kershaw is activated, someone else needs to be bumped from the 40 man roster just to make room for him. The same goes for Trayce Thompson, Andre Ethier and Alex Wood, leaving an extraordinarily thin amount of flexibility for a team with obvious playoff ambitions.

The rosters expand to the 40 man roster in September, not beyond it. If De Leon had been on the 40 man, he'd have been called up already.

It's unfortunate (I have him on a few fantasy teams as well), but it's the reality of the situation.

• Like 1

Alanna Rizzo ‏@alannarizzo    2h
Roberts said Stewart gives team "best chance to win", when asked why not bring up @JDL_87, by @kengurnick.

Dont think it's happening

1 hour ago, itaos said:
Alanna Rizzo ‏@alannarizzo    2h
Roberts said Stewart gives team "best chance to win", when asked why not bring up @JDL_87, by @kengurnick.

Dont think it's happening

That's a straight up lie. No way.

32 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:
  • So depressing.

He has 40 straight strikeouts without issuing a single walk. That is Kershaw like.

Edited by Steelers0087

Your best clue will be if they bump someone from the 40 man roster without activating one of the 60 day DL'd players they'd like to have back for the playoffs (Kershaw/Wood/Ethier/Thompson), which seems doubtful.

From the OC Register two days ago:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/dodgers-727210-thompson-roberts.html

"De Leon is not on the Dodgers’ 40-man roster yet. Stewart has been on the 40-man since he was promoted to make his major-league debut in June. The Dodgers could make a move to add De Leon to the 40-man but could find themselves in a roster crunch in September. The Dodgers are optimistic that four players currently on the 60-day disabled list will return in the final month:Thompson; Clayton Kershaw; Andre Ethier and Alex Wood. Each of those players will have to be added to the 40-man when they are activated from the DL."

The fact that the Dodgers are a playoff team is the main reason right now as to why De Leon continues to toil away in the minors. In addition, he just pitched their AAA team into the playoffs yesterday, so now he still has a place to pitch in September, which complicates matters even further.

You know.....if they don't want him up and want to limp into the playoffs with their crap rotation, they should just field offers now and trade him away for max value.  I think it's despicable that a player of his caliber is still wasting away in AAA with his numbers and peripherals.  It's flat out obscene!!!!

The OKC Dodgers will be in the playoffs soon, and you can bet they'll have their ace on the mound. Especially judging by everything Dave Roberts has spewed on the matter so far.  Zero inclination of recalling him.

And of course Brock Stewart had a decent outing yesterday.

Don't hold your breathe guys.

I love this guy but it's not like he's a lock to help an mlb club into and in the playoffs. Better pedigrees with better numbers have flamed out in the cooker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bdy1 said:

I love this guy but it's not like he's a lock to help an mlb club into and in the playoffs. Better pedigrees with better numbers have flamed out in the cooker.

Good point. Easy to get lost in all the hype and just assume he's a lock to perform well.  I would say however that given all the facts/stats/eye-test...his stuff looks like it will translate well...But we could say the same about Berrios and we know what his stuff has translated to so far. Berrios doesn't have the command of JDL though.

Given that Brock Stewart is having success, I'd say it's a great chance JDL does just fine.

Never concerned myself with callups prior to this year.

I'm a little confused. I was trying to do my own research to make sense of this, and an article I read said that the roster is at 25, and the option to expand it to 40 doesn't happen until September 1st. Is this right or wrong?

If this is correct, is the issue that JDL doesn't seem to have a spot even when it does expand? The article I referenced suggested he could likely get called up to pitch on Sept 2nd...and since no one has him in my league, I am trying to gauge if he's worth the stash...or if I should leave him out there.

Edited by Semitar