Slatykamora

Jose De Leon - SP TB

12 hours ago, Semitar said:

Never concerned myself with callups prior to this year.

I'm a little confused. I was trying to do my own research to make sense of this, and an article I read said that the roster is at 25, and the option to expand it to 40 doesn't happen until September 1st. Is this right or wrong?

If this is correct, is the issue that JDL doesn't seem to have a spot even when it does expand? The article I referenced suggested he could likely get called up to pitch on Sept 2nd...and since no one has him in my league, I am trying to gauge if he's worth the stash...or if I should leave him out there.

Rosters expand in September, but that is not what people are referring to when they talk about the 40-man roster. Here's a primer: http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2011/9/4/2400827/mlb-roster-rules-40-man-roster.

22 hours ago, Semitar said:

Never concerned myself with callups prior to this year.

I'm a little confused. I was trying to do my own research to make sense of this, and an article I read said that the roster is at 25, and the option to expand it to 40 doesn't happen until September 1st. Is this right or wrong?

If this is correct, is the issue that JDL doesn't seem to have a spot even when it does expand? The article I referenced suggested he could likely get called up to pitch on Sept 2nd...and since no one has him in my league, I am trying to gauge if he's worth the stash...or if I should leave him out there.

I'll give it a shot...

MLB teams have a 40-man roster year-round to roster MLB players as well as protected MiLB players.

However, from Opening Day through August 31, MLB teams can only operate off a 25-man roster composed of the 25 guys they want to use from their 40-man roster. September 1 is the date that MLB teams can begin to carry more than 25 guys in the majors - provided the additional callups are on (or put on) the 40-man roster.

JDL is not currently on their 40-man roster because he doesn't need to be "protected" this season. If they want to see what he can do, they have to release someone off their 40-man roster to get him up for September. If they want to do it now, the Dodgers have to either release a player that is on both the 40-man AND 25-man roster, or release a guy off the 40-man roster AND move someone off the 25-man roster.

This information helps me understand the process better. I guess I am not able to determine if this means I should stash him or not. What do you guys think?

2 hours ago, Semitar said:

This information helps me understand the process better. I guess I am not able to determine if this means I should stash him or not. What do you guys think?

Based on the post there's no reason to keep him down after 9/1 when rosters expand

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Based on the post there's no reason to keep him down after 9/1 when rosters expand

Does Roberts really suck it up and recall him for the Bullpen or let him continue to start for OKC in the Playoffs? I'm thinking he's staying down. From what I've seen, Roberts has given ZERO indication that De Leon even simply could be called. Nothing.

Not to mention Anderson and McCarthy are nearing returns. I'd say there's about a 5% chance he's recalled.

Just now, blinkfan77 said:

Does Roberts really suck it up and recall him for the Bullpen or let him continue to start for OKC in the Playoffs? I'm thinking he's staying down. From what I've seen, Roberts has given ZERO indication that De Leon even simply could be called. Nothing.

Not to mention Anderson and McCarthy are nearing returns. I'd say there's about a 5% chance he's recalled.

I have nothing to gain by him being recalled really. It's already playoffs in the league I have him in and our season ends next week. His service time clock will count against me for a whole year if he plays 1 inning. So, at this point I rather have the year than best case scenario one start for my team.

Unfortunately for me, I still think we see him in the bigs this year 

45 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:

It's not Dave Roberts call on whether or not a player is recalled from the minor leagues.

Why are people always placing blame on Managers for anything and everything even if it is out of their scope.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

actually there is, he still won't be on the 40-man and the dodgers' 40-man situation will still be a jammed up mess. neither of those situations are changing on september 1st

all september 1st does is allow you to keep your entire 40-man roster on the big league bench. that's literally the only thing that changes

with kazmir, mccarthy, kershaw and anderson all nearing returns at the same time, plus the existing maeda / hill / urias / norris / stripling rotation, plus brock stewart having dominated the cubs in his last spot start, i really see no reason to expect to see de leon, certainly not in the rotation

especially if they don't need to protect him from the rule 5 this winter. not sure about that off the top of my head. but if they don't, then they stand to gain an extra roster spot for the entire winter just by not calling de leon up to make a couple of relief appearances in september when they have unlimited other guys available

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jb_power said:

It's not Dave Roberts call on whether or not a player is recalled from the minor leagues.

Why are people always placing blame on Managers for anything and everything even if it is out of their scope.

Chill out. I'm well aware what a manager and GM do. I would imagine Roberts does however have some say in a prospect joining his teams rotation though to some extent.  No need to lump me into "people always". Citing Roberts  was just a simplistic way of mentioning it on my part. Funny thing is, as I submitted that post I thought "someone's gonna point out that Roberts isn't the GM", and boom goes the dynamite. So, thanks for that at least.

Edited by blinkfan77

2 hours ago, wily mo said:

especially if they don't need to protect him from the rule 5 this winter. not sure about that off the top of my head. but if they don't, then they stand to gain an extra roster spot for the entire winter just by not calling de leon up to make a couple of relief appearances in september when they have unlimited other guys available

I read about this recently. They do need to protect him, I believe.

1 hour ago, blinkfan77 said:

I read about this recently. They do need to protect him, I believe.

ok. that would make it at least imaginable that he gets a callup, i'd say. but their 40-man is still in a state of permanent crisis

On 8/31/2016 at 6:57 PM, wily mo said:

ok. that would make it at least imaginable that he gets a callup, i'd say. but their 40-man is still in a state of permanent crisis

Yup, since he was a 20-year old 2013 draftee he would require protection at the conclusion of the season - hence it makes plenty of sense to add him now and give him a taste of the majors.

Sunday...the day we've all been waiting for.

• Like 1

i'm honestly surprised that they're doing it. but ok!

still seems unlikely that he takes regular turns down the stretch given that they've got the previously mentioned three or four DL guys on return trajectories, but i guess anything's possible if he's really good. but i'd think he has to be like ace-level good right away or else the vets will bump him

14 hours ago, wily mo said:

still seems unlikely that he takes regular turns down the stretch given that they've got the previously mentioned three or four DL guys on return trajectories, but i guess anything's possible if he's really good. but i'd think he has to be like ace-level good right away or else the vets will bump him

I mean Dodgers fans aren't that excited abut the returns of Anderson/Mccarthy, real chance de Leon could be better right away.

I haven't been this excited for a Prospect debut since Kris Bryant. It's been a loooooong year stashing him. Great situation to start lets hope he has instant success!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I mean Dodgers fans aren't that excited abut the returns of Anderson/Mccarthy, real chance de Leon could be better right away.

anderson nah, send him to investigate that deep space signal. good luck brett, we're all counting on you. don't tell him they already figured out it's just some reflected earth signal. but mccarthy and kazmir can both be pretty good when they're healthy, and then there's kershaw. then maeda's not going anywhere, hill's not going anywhere... they do want to get urias back out of the rotation, that works in deleon's favor. and he can beat out norris and stripling. 

so he just needs to be better than one of mccarthy / kazmir... that's more doable than i thought. those guys both have a lot of Veteran Presence though

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wily mo said:

anderson nah, send him to investigate that deep space signal. good luck brett, we're all counting on you. don't tell him they already figured out it's just some reflected earth signal. but mccarthy and kazmir can both be pretty good when they're healthy, and then there's kershaw. then maeda's not going anywhere, hill's not going anywhere... they do want to get urias back out of the rotation, that works in deleon's favor. and he can beat out norris and stripling. 

so he just needs to be better than one of mccarthy / kazmir... that's more doable than i thought. those guys both have a lot of Veteran Presence though

I think expecting both kazmir and McCarthy to be healthy and effective ROS is not expecting a likely scenario 

On 9/2/2016 at 6:01 PM, wily mo said:

If he has to be rule 5 protected. Its a pretty obvious move, someone was gonna have to get DFAs. Better do it now while most MLB teams rosters are tied up and claiming  a DFA player is tough decision.

Any way to change this thread title to TB? 

Anyways he's starting on the AAA DL due to a flexor issue. Sounds like its precautionary to give him some extra rest here in the early going. 

Finally pitched for Tampa Bay in his season debut at class A tonight. 3.1 innings, 5 hits, 2 earned runs and 7 strikeouts. At least he's finally healthy...hopefully he stays that way going forward.

Edited by cltubbs