Slatykamora

Jose De Leon - SP TB

Whats a realistic timeframe for him to STAY up in the bigs? Not cup of coffee.

Mid next season?he s a little bit older. Or as projected by most sides 2017.

At this point its looking 2016... He only pitched around 80 innings last year though.

Its hard to see the Dodgers giving him more than 120ish IP this year. Then build up to a 140-160 IP range for 2016. So that'll probably mean starting next year in the minors, or in the majors soon in 2016 then shut down early/or have starts skipped often..

Think may have passed Urias in terms of who gets a call first.

Urias is still the superior talent..but he is 4 years younger and the Dodgers are gonna treat him with kid gloves and take it slower with him. While Leon is almost 23 now.

Edited by Slatykamora

I think we might see him sometime in 2016 if Greinke opts out and leaves... Dude is insane this year.

I think we might see him sometime in 2016 if Greinke opts out and leaves... Dude is insane this year.

He was insane last year. This ascent has been amazing.

Whats a realistic timeframe for him to STAY up in the bigs? Not cup of coffee.

Mid next season?he s a little bit older. Or as projected by most sides 2017.

He's only 22 so he's not exactly old. I like that management has been somewhat conservative with his promotions, allowing him to go step by step. I thought he might get a chance in the rotation in August if someone gets hurt after all the big trades have gone down but I didn't realize he threw so few innings last year. 2016 would be my best guess for his permanent ascent to the rotation as long as he holds his own in AA this year.

Anyone else concerned that his fb is only 91-93mph? That's what I read and i'm worried hes an erasmo ramirez type

How is Erasmo any sort of comp? He never had anywhere close to a K rate as good as De Leon has been producing.

This isn't a Ben Lively situation where he's getting by on a lot of deception either - De Leon relies on a fastball with good movement and a quality change and slider. He may not crank it up in the high 90s or anything, but his fastball is still a quality pitch.

Still not on Yahoo's database fml

I don't know why people are always surprised by this - the kid just got promoted to AA and isn't even on the 40-man roster. Do you expect these sites to have every single minor leaguer in their database?

Anyone else concerned that his fb is only 91-93mph? That's what I read and i'm worried hes an erasmo ramirez type

He has deception and plus off speed pitches.

So, no.

Matt Foreman @HypeProspect 8h8 hours ago

#Dodgers RHP Jose De Leon 3 IP 7 H 6 R 3 BB 5 K. Not dominating AA like he dominated high-A, but please be patient.

Start from yesterday. Don't know about the 2nd part of the sentence though. His previous 3 AA starts:

5-22-15: 6 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 HR allowed, 2 BB, 8 K's

5-29-15: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 HR allowed, 2 BB, 11 K's (Against a Frisco squad that has Alfaro, Mazara, and N. Williams)

6-5-15: 7 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 HR allowed, 2 BB, 6 K's (Against the Frisco squad as well)

So prior to that bad start last night, he had a 3.15 ERA, 20 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 4 HR's allowed, 6 BB's, 25 K's in 3 GS in AA. That start last night jumped the ERA to 5.09.

While he isn't dominating AA like he was in the other levels, I'm not too sure many expected him to jump to AA and pitch to the tune of a 1.67 ERA, 13.86 K/9, and a 1.91 BB/9. And still, prior to the poor start last night, his first 3 AA starts were good.

• Like 1

Love the bounceback after his first rough performance of the year. Something tells me he'll be part of a package to get Cueto or Hamels.

• Like 1

Looks like he's getting a little bit of a workout at Tulsa. Will be nice to see what adjustments he makes, with three of his last four appearances so-so or worse. Still, very impressed how he manhandled Frisco a few weeks back. If nothing else, a little bit of a slowdown will make it more palatable to use him as a trade chip based on his upside.

Maybe package him with Bellinger for Hamels?

Urias is still the superior talent..but he is 4 years younger and the Dodgers are gonna treat him with kid gloves and take it slower with him. While Leon is almost 23 now.

I actually think the Dodgers will rush Urias a bit. I bet they call up Urias and De Leon, both, in 2016 - but Urias's age and physical maturity should have them eying a 2017 arrival instead.

I see De Leon getting a midseason callup next season and dazzling. He's physically matured and appears to have a good handle on AA hitters (minus his one bad outing at the AA level). He should end the season at AAA for a taste of hitters who have more patience and better pitch recognition.

It wouldn't surprise me to see De Leon end up becoming the better ace if the Dodgers don't handle Urias's development properly.

• Like 1

I like him a lot.

If he can get a better handle on his command, I think he could be the better pitcher long-term over Urias.

Got him as a throw in on a trade in my really deep dynasty league. Midseason call up next year? Agree that he could be as good as Urias.

Urias is far more refined and almost 3 years younger with a longer track record of success, better stuff and command.

Anyone can be better then anyone long term, but it's almost foolish to predict that

Urias is far more refined and almost 3 years younger with a longer track record of success, better stuff and command.

Anyone can be better then anyone long term, but it's almost foolish to predict that

All true.

Why are you part of this forum? My guess is that you're involved in fantasy sports and/or are an avid fan.

If you're a fantasy player, then you "predict" all the time, speculating which players will do better than others. Regardless of past performance, you're considering their future performance.

If you're just an avid fan and love to talk baseball (or any other sports for that matter), then don't you have discussion with people about the sport? And during those conversations, are you telling me that not one time do you "predict" what a team, player, or manager might do in an upcoming game, week, season, etc? Of course you do, we all do.

"Predicting" is a huge part of being a sports fan. Nobody goes to games because they only care about how their team played yesterday, they care about how they'll play today.

That said, I'm just a guy in a forum...not the lead scout for the Dodgers. If I was the Dodgers scouting director and made that statement, I could understand many people wondering why such a statement would be made. To be clear, I'm not a baseball scout...just a fan. BUT, in an earlier post I did actually post my reasons for why I COULD see De Leon with a brighter future than Urias, which doesn't make my "prediction" any more or less valid - it merely gives reason to my belief that De Leon COULD be better long-term.

Like you said, anything can happen long-term. What fun is sports if we can't speculate - sorry, "predict" - about the future?

• Like 1

Urias is the far superior real life prospect because

1.) He's at the same level, much younger and already more polished.

2.) He's a lefty

That isn't too debatable, IMO. However fantasy wise. Leon has a high ceiling with the K potential..so its not that far fetched.

I'm still calling that Leon is getting called before Urias despite Urias pitching better. They are being very careful with his innings because of his age and frame. While Leon is being let loose this year. The fact that Leon is pitching more innings per game despite worse results in AA than Urias should make that obvious..

Edited by Slatykamora

I don't think he will be up this year. I would be shocked. More likely that he's traded as part of a deal for Cueto or another ace. As a dodger fan obviously I'm not going to complain but I really like De Leon and hope we keep him.