Slatykamora

Jose De Leon - SP TB

In His last 3 starts he has given up 10 runs with 7-8 walks and 25 Ks. I was hoping for a cup of coffee this year, even as a reliever. I don't see it happening and I know it's not ideal for development but it's ideal for my fantasy team :)

Edited by Under500Forever

I don't see DeLeon coming up this year. He's giving up the long ball at Tulsa -- unexpectedly worse in that regard as opposed to playing at Rancho -- and the walks give me pause. I imagine he's going to make adjustments -- the strikeouts are still there -- but there's no doubt AA hitters are getting some serious contact when they force him to come at them with the fastball. I'm also a little leery about this whole "hide the ball" motion. Is that the real source of his effectiveness?

I'm starting to think there's a Mat Latos comp here. Lots of potential, similar repertoires. But not a slam-dunk.

Edited by tm30

I don't see DeLeon coming up this year. He's giving up the long ball at Tulsa -- unexpectedly worse in that regard as opposed to playing at Rancho -- and the walks give me pause. I imagine he's going to make adjustments -- the strikeouts are still there -- but there's no doubt AA hitters are getting some serious contact when they force him to come at them with the fastball. I'm also a little leery about this whole "hide the ball" motion. Is that the real source of his effectiveness?

I'm starting to think there's a Mat Latos comp here. Lots of potential, similar repertoires. But not a slam-dunk.

Nice comp, hopefully a tad higher on the k/9.

It does seem the minor bumps in the road since promotion will not allow a force up.

In His last 3 starts he has given up 10 runs with 7-8 walks and 25 Ks. I was hoping for a cup of coffee this year, even as a reliever. I don't see it happening and I know it's not ideal for development but it's ideal for my fantasy team :)

I hope they keep him there and make sure he takes the proper development path.

I wouldn't worry much about the runs (earned or unearned). He's still been mostly hard to hit, but the walks have killed him because he's walking guys right in front of the base hits. As he improves his command and control, the peripheral numbers will follow.

Who would you guys compare him to? And any chance he's up this year?

I actually see a little more Steve Matz comparison. Both guys are hard to hit...the damage inflicted on them is highly dependent on when/where they walk guys. And like Matz, eventually when De Leon gets the call I think he'll still rack up the Ks.

Latos and Matz are interesting comps. Do they throw the same pitches?

Regarding my comp to Matz...

Not exactly, but more similar than different. Obviously, what they're both known for is mid-90s heat. But they do both throw a really good changeup. After that, they both have so-so third pitches. I think De Leon's slider has improved this season...but still far from a plus pitch, while Matz throws a curve.

What is going on here?! Hasn't started since July 16th because he's been on the DL.. Not one peep of information available regarding an injury. I know a few guys within the Dodgers MiLB Org and neither one has heard anything. Does anyone else not find this odd? Are MiLB injuries usually so hush-hush?

NVM, just came across a blurb that he has a "sore" back.

Edited by JenksDodger

What is going on here?! Hasn't started since July 16th because he's been on the DL.. Not one peep of information available regarding an injury. I know a few guys within the Dodgers MiLB Org and neither one has heard anything. Does anyone else not find this odd? Are MiLB injuries usually so hush-hush?

NVM, just came across a blurb that he has a "sore" back.

For some reason they don't always disclose the details on MiLB injuries. Last year it took a few weeks for everyone to find out that Jesse Winker's injury was a strained wrist sustained in a car crash (or something like that).

• Like 1

3IP 3H 1ER 0BB 4K's

Opponents batting .197 off of him in AA... 81K's in 61IP..

JdL and Cotton are piggybacking starts so far to (most likely) limit their innings by design.

Sucks for opposing hitters; both are strikeout machines.

• Like 1

With the Dodgers recent signings of Kazmir and Maeda, im not expexting a call-up until late in the year for bullpen help now. Before the signings i thought there was an extremely good chance that De Leon would get the first shot at a starting rotation gig out of Cotton, and Urias.

The rotation looks like Kershaw, Kaz, Anderson, Maeda, Ryu.. With Ryu and Anderson having past injury troubles there could be a chance he gets up if one of them suffer a season ending injury.

With the recent signigs of Kaz and Maeda, what does that say about their confidence in their young guys (De Leon, Cotton and Urias)? Maybe they are thinking they are a year away and expect one of them to replace Anderson in '17.

Its very rare that an opening day starting 5 pitches the entire season. Also Kaz has the 1 year opt out. If he pitches well, he is for sure opting out..

• Like 2

darkhorse to steal the 5th spot from Bolsinger? Also looks like Kazmir is having velocity issues sitting at 86-89mph. Looks like sooner rather than later this season we'll get to see De Leon...Id suggest to buy your tickets for the ride now before you miss out

Ken Gurnick on Twitter:

Dave Roberts said Julio Urias and Zach Lee "in conversation" for 5th starter. Urias 1 IP., 3 ER. Lee 5 IP, 3 ER.