Slatykamora

Jose De Leon - SP TB

15 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

How do we feel about this guy in dynasty leagues right now? Is he someone people expect to be up in August and possible help with FBB playoffs? 

I could see that.  Somehow he seems to be rather overlooked from my perspective.  De Leon, IMO, seems to have a ton of upside pitching in the NL West for one of the best teams in baseball in a friendly home park.  His K-rate is spectacular, and he'll be just 24 in August.  The delays to start his season are partially due to bad luck with some injuries (shoulder soreness I think), but likely also at least partially the result of the Dodgers realizing he can help them down the stretch. 

De Leon threw 114 innings last year across two levels.  My guess is they wanted to get him up to 135ish this year, then 160 in 2017.  He's thrown just 18 so far, leaving him with ~120ish innings left this year, or 20ish starts at 6 IP per start.  Urias only threw 80 innings last year and is now sitting at 74 for 2016.  I can't imagine they'll let him go much past 100 given his age and upside... 120 at the most.  They were planning to send him back to the minors, but now with Kershaw's back, I'm not sure they'll be able to.  Point being, everything seems to point to De Leon being able to pitch the rest of the season without restrictions, and the opportunity is likely to be there in the Dodgers rotation unless they go make a few deals for some SP help.

• Like 3

Kershaw to the DL, might be out a while... Any chance of De Leon? Or is his pitch count way too low still and not stretched out enough?

De Leon last started on Sunday and threw 77 pitches.  Kershaw's now hit the DL and was set to start tomorrow.  It's now regular rest for De Leon, and he should be ready to throw 90-100 pitches.

Dodger's beat writer says they're actively looking outside the organization for arms right now, but De Leon may be their best bet as I believe he's already on the 40-man roster.

Just now, The Milkman said:

not a chance 

keep dreamin' boys

Care to explain why there's not a chance?  He's at AAA.  He's one of their best prospects.  His AAA start aligns with Kershaw's.  Even if he doesn't come up this time, he can't be too far off.  The Dodgers' rotation is falling apart and Urias is 6 innings short of matching his total from last year, meaning he's not pitching every 5th day the rest of the season...

Just now, JFS171 said:

Care to explain why there's not a chance?  He's at AAA.  He's one of their best prospects.  His AAA start aligns with Kershaw's.  Even if he doesn't come up this time, he can't be too far off.  The Dodgers' rotation is falling apart and Urias is 6 innings short of matching his total from last year, meaning he's not pitching every 5th day the rest of the season...

Ryu and McCarthy back "close to the ASB"

don't think they'd pull something that reactionary yet

Neither one of them are ready tomorrow when they need a guy to start... how is it reactionary to call up one of your best prospects for a spot start?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JFS171 said:

Neither one of them are ready tomorrow when they need a guy to start... how is it reactionary to call up one of your best prospects for a spot start?

no need to get hostile, it just seems like he isn't ready yet. love to be proven wrong

12 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

not a chance 

keep dreamin' boys

This post was rude and offered nothing.

5 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

no need to get hostile, it just seems like he isn't ready yet. love to be proven wrong

JFS was in no way hostile towards you. Not even a little.

I think it's a legitimate question to ask about De Leon. Ryu and Mccarthy are from sure things to make it back and/or be effective.  With the Dodgers tremendous amount of turnover at SP this year (somewhat by design), I think there's a pretty decent chance we see De Leon at some point this year. 

• Like 4

Just now, The Milkman said:

I guess this is due to the internet, but I'm not the least bit hostile?  Just asking the question...

Regardless, I can't see how De Leon doesn't make starts in the bigs in the second half barring LA acquiring several starting pitchers.  Looking through their rotation...

Kershaw - DL with lower back injury

Anderson - DL with back injury, theoretically back around ASB but isn't throwing yet to my knowledge

Alex Wood - DL -- hit the 60-Day DL at the end of May

Ryu - pitched at AAA, but has already had complications a few times returning from his shoulder injury

McCarthy - Getting closer - threw 5IP on Monday night - 74 pitches I think. 

Kazmir

Maeda

Urias - has maybe 5-7 starts left before he hits his innings limit (in all likelihood)

Brock Stewart - who even is this guy?  Gave up 5 Rs with a 2.00 WHIP in his first start

My point is there's going to be opportunity here in the near future.

• Like 6

They just traded for Bud Norris, so I don't know how that impacts De Leon's rotation spot towards the end of the year. Norris has been pitching well lately, but its Bud Norris... Norris is now listed as the probable starter for tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, klove42 said:

They just traded for Bud Norris, so I don't know how that impacts De Leon's rotation spot towards the end of the year. Norris has been pitching well lately, but its Bud Norris... Norris is now listed as the probable starter for tomorrow. 

His opportunity depends on several things, but I probably wouldn't bet on Norris, Ryu, and McCarthy all being able to hold down rotation spots. He could end up in Urias' spot once he hits innings, or could take Stewart's spot, or he may be odd man out waiting for an injury if the dodgers pull off Kershaw, Kazmir, McCarthy, Ryu, Norris down the stretch. 

Time me will tell. 

Urias sent down... but McCarthy is back and Ryu is starting Thursday. Will they be able to roll with Maeda/Kazmir/Norris/Ryu/McCarthy the rest of the season? My money is on no. 

Edited by The Milkman

1 hour ago, The Milkman said:

Urias sent down... but McCarthy is back and Ryu is starting Thursday. Will they be able to roll with Maeda/Kazmir/Norris/Ryu/McCarthy the rest of the season? My money is on no. 

I'll double down on no. I'm 95% sure he sees some MLB time - even if only a September callup. Realistically though, he's their best callup option to compete into October.

^^ Exactly -- I'll be floored if that group holds together the rest of the season.

7 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

^^ Exactly -- I'll be floored if that group holds together the rest of the month.

FYP

• Like 1

Dealing tonight (per usual).

5IP, 2H, 0BB, 0R, 8K

60 Pitches/ 45 strikes.

Need he say more?

1 hour ago, lavaman said:

Bring the kid up!!!

I hear you, but if that happens now , he'll sit in the bull pen as a long man. 

Give it time... I'm highly skeptical about Ryu.  Maybe Kershaw comes back, but I still don't buy this rotation in the long run.

On 7/8/2016 at 8:54 AM, JFS171 said:

Give it time... I'm highly skeptical about Ryu.  Maybe Kershaw comes back, but I still don't buy this rotation in the long run.

and Ryu to the DL with elbow tendinitis.. de Leon time?!

Edited by shaggingsince83
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2015 at 10:17 PM, cornerback said:

Whats a realistic timeframe for him to STAY up in the bigs? Not cup of coffee.

Mid next season?he s a little bit older. Or as projected by most sides 2017.

so frustrating