fletch44

Michael Kopech - P CHW

Seeing really positive reports from a bunch of places. He's got the pedigree, so why not. If he keeps this up he'll slide into at least the back end of a few top 100 lists next year

Josh Norris @jnorris427 25m25 minutes ago

Michael Kopech suspended 50 games for a stimulant. By my count, Greenville has exactly 50 games left.

Matt Eddy @MattEddyBA 54m54 minutes ago

#RedSox RHP Michael Kopech receives 50-game suspension after testing positive for Oxilofrine, a stimulant per the minor league drug program.

30 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Saw this already elsewhere, but looking at the last post before yours... almost exactly a year from a PED suspension he throws 105. Hmmm. 

Haha. I'd be more worried about a trip to Dr.James Andrews at this point. 

2 hours ago, BJays1993 said:

The next Daniel Bard?

He's suppose to be a starter but I guess a .2 inning start will give one pause, heh.

The Red Sox were actively trying to trade him this summer before the deadline in package deals.  He already has personality baggage that pretty much prevented that.  Unless he grows up and improves his game as well he will be just another has been before he was an every was.

I agree with Bossman. A guy throwing over 100 needs to be given a shot to be able to mature and learn how to pitch. I know there are concerns about the dude's makeup, but he's talented for sure.

1 minute ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I agree with Bossman. A guy throwing over 100 needs to be given a shot to be able to mature and learn how to pitch. I know there are concerns about the dude's makeup, but he's talented for sure.

Yes and so far his career minor league stats are:  135 IP, 93H, 3HR allowed, 172K, .198 Avg allowed, 2.60 ERA

I think he is learning how to pitch

and fast.

• Like 1

Part of the package that went for Sale, took a big jump in the top 100 rankinngs, going from barely cracking top 100 last year to top 20 in multiple publications this year.  Might have best fastball in the minors, clocked like 104-5 I have seen listed in places, generally sits in the upper 90's, which is ridiculous for a starter, K rate was really good in the 12 range but seems to have maybe some command issues as WHIP in the minors been 1.2+ 

So whats the deal with this guy?

* Potentially up in 2017 or maybe not until 18?  Probably depends in WS just let guys like him and Giolito take some lumps but learn in the bigs. 

* Obviously the fast ball is legit, but does he have 2 other league pitches that are major league caliber?

* Does he have command issues?  Are they improving thus far in the minors?  

High Risk/High reward situation with Kopech. He has a great fastball ,  I read his slider is good and his sinking changeup has shown flashes of being a plus pitch. He struggled with walks last year and he had some off the field issues. Towards the end of last year he limited his walks except for a 5 or 6 walk clunker at the end. He was great in the AFL pitching 22 innings and walking 8 batters (5 or 6 came in one start). He still has his control issues but seems to be harnessing it a bit. 

He has a lot of upside as a starter if he can limit the walks but if that doesn't work he could end up being a good closer. 

My 2 concerns with Kopech:

1. Is he a starter or reliever long term?

2. How high is the risky of TJ at some point in an age where so many flamethrowers end up having the surgery?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hollywood42 said:

My 2 concerns with Kopech:

1. Is he a starter or reliever long term?

2. How high is the risky of TJ at some point in an age where so many flamethrowers end up having the surgery?

This... I'm avoiding this guy for this very reason.. I'd honestly rather have someone like Mike Soroka or Luis Ortiz.. a guy that has a good fastball and above average secondaries opposed to a guy that's throwing 100+mph and throwing 110mph into a net.. I'm about done getting burned by flame throwing pitchers.. too much risk involved. 

Edited by JenksDodger

Agree 100% -- he's going to blow his arm out quickly.   No one should be throwing that hard unless your name is Aroldis Chapman and you've proven your durability.   Fine to have on your minor league roster as a lottery ticket, but I stay away from young "aces" for the most part.  

49 minutes ago, tm30 said:

Agree 100% -- he's going to blow his arm out quickly.   No one should be throwing that hard unless your name is Aroldis Chapman and you've proven your durability.   Fine to have on your minor league roster as a lottery ticket, but I stay away from young "aces" for the most part.  

This is where we've devolved to? You want to avoid young "aces" out of fear of injury. Personally, I'll take a shot on a guy with huge upside and potential. If they get hurt then so be it.

Granted, they do always seem to get injured, but it's quite possible that he's healthy and a stud...if he can lay off the PEDs and not punch any more teammates.

I think Kopech is an amazing talent.  I'm super high on the guy...he cracked my top 10 at #6. I guess he's #5 overall for me with the Reyes injury. I tend to go big or go home, but I absolutely love Kopech. He was really impressive in the AFL and has some of the best natural gas, with movement, that I've seen. 

If you want to draft a team full of JA Happ type arms then be my guest. That's the wrong way to go about it in my opinion.

I'm all in on Kopech!

• Like 2