fletch44

Michael Kopech - P CHW

19 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

" 10 feet over the catchers head" !?!!?!?!?!? Com'on man, figure it out.

“..walks dont look a great statline...but if I have zero or five, as long as they don’t score it doesn’t matter how they got on. Attacking the zone is key, but it’s also easier said than done. That’s what it come’s down to being successful.” - Kopech 6/25/18

His last start was fantastic

6ip 4h 1er 1bb 11k

70/96 were strikes

95-97 mph fast ball with top velocity at 99mph

3 qs in his last 4

a couple of more starts like this, maybe we see him up 

Edited by Steelers72
  • Like 1

https://prospectstorm.com/2018/07/16/the-road-to-dc-3rd-stop-michael-kopech-dominates/

“Overall, I like what I saw. I was expecting to see a pitcher that was erratic and I saw a pretty good arm. I don’t think Kopech is an ace though. The SL and CH got outs but most of his success was due to elevating the FB. He did not command the black of the plate but he did change eye level. I think Kopech is victim of the hype. Industry guys salivated over the FB and K rate and really put unfair expectations on him. Fans get their information from the industry and fan the flames. It is what it is. Kopech though has a chance to a back of the rotation guy that flashes brilliance but I think he ends up in the bullpen long-term.”

That’s not good.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gus Chiggins said:

https://prospectstorm.com/2018/07/16/the-road-to-dc-3rd-stop-michael-kopech-dominates/

“Overall, I like what I saw. I was expecting to see a pitcher that was erratic and I saw a pretty good arm. I don’t think Kopech is an ace though. The SL and CH got outs but most of his success was due to elevating the FB. He did not command the black of the plate but he did change eye level. I think Kopech is victim of the hype. Industry guys salivated over the FB and K rate and really put unfair expectations on him. Fans get their information from the industry and fan the flames. It is what it is. Kopech though has a chance to a back of the rotation guy that flashes brilliance but I think he ends up in the bullpen long-term.”

That’s not good.

Worst case though he could be an elite closer for a decade. Going to stay the course in dynasty...

• Like 1

20 Ks and 2 walks in his last two starts. His nosedive this year coincided with the death of a close family member. Everything he had done since being traded before that point screamed ace. It's easy to try and be the I-told-you-so-guy when a hyped prospect has a rough couple months, but I'm still taking Kopech over any pitching prospect not in the bigs already. Whitley's been hurt. Reyes too of course. Mize hasn't proven anything yet. Honeywell's hurt. Oh and Urias, too. Keller is older and hasn't done nearly as much in the minors as Kopech. Gore might be the only one in the conversation IMO. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sleepysock said:

20 Ks and 2 walks in his last two starts. His nosedive this year coincided with the death of a close family member. Everything he had done since being traded before that point screamed ace. It's easy to try and be the I-told-you-so-guy when a hyped prospect has a rough couple months, but I'm still taking Kopech over any pitching prospect not in the bigs already. Whitley's been hurt. Reyes too of course. Mize hasn't proven anything yet. Honeywell's hurt. Oh and Urias, too. Keller is older and hasn't done nearly as much in the minors as Kopech. Gore might be the only one in the conversation IMO. 

Keller is younger than Kopech...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChicagoBob88 said:

Keller is younger than Kopech...

Weird, I thought he was born in 95. Anyway they're within one month of each other in age and Keller still has few than 100 IP above A ball. If he finishes the year strong in AAA and get's that K-rate up a bit while Kopech scuffles, then maybe I move him ahead. 

9 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Weird, I thought he was born in 95. Anyway they're within one month of each other in age and Keller still has few than 100 IP above A ball. If he finishes the year strong in AAA and get's that K-rate up a bit while Kopech scuffles, then maybe I move him ahead. 

He has over 100 IP in AA, plus whatever he's had in AAA recently. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

He has over 100 IP in AA, plus whatever he's had in AAA recently. 

Alright ya got me, nullify my point completely. he's got 120ish IP in AA and one AAA start. Let's talk about that K-rate tho. Not great, Mitch!

Definitely great to see 4 straight starts with 2 BB's or less - hopefully it can finally be the right catalyst for a call up assuming service time considerations isn't at the heart of he and Eloy being kept down.

im not great with elig. rules - since they are out of contention whats the likely course...Sept call up when rosters expand then call up few weeks into 2019 for extra yr?  

4 hours ago, sleepysock said:

9 ks and 0 BBs last night. The command issues are ironed out, I'd say. 

I agree, he's been unbelievable since that three inning outing July 5th. Back on track is an understatement. Call up coming soon I imagine. (Hope*)

6 hours ago, sleepysock said:

9 ks and 0 BBs last night. The command issues are ironed out, I'd say. 

5 straight starts of 2 BB's or less is what I'm looking for , absolutely. His chances are much better now than they were a few weeks ago.

“...Similarly, Michael Kopech seems to have reached the point where the case for keeping him in the minors is not very easy to make.

"It's been an interesting season," Getz said. "It hasn't been completely smooth (for Kopech), but that's a good thing. He's in a good spot right now.

"He's commanding his fastball the best he has. He's differentiating his breaking pitches. He's getting more consistent with those. He's getting more confident with his changeup.

"Michael is a very confident player and we feel that he's going to be an impactful-type starter in the major leagues, and there's a chance that it happens fairly soon."

Fairly soon is a relative phrase that in baseball terms could mean 10 days from now or it could mean 10 days into the 2019 season, which is precisely what it should be for Jimenez and Kopech.

Sorry, White Sox fans, but GM Rick Hahn would not be properly looking out for you or the organization long term if he allowed for some short-term pleasure, promoting players that would give you something to enjoy in August and September of a season in which the Sox have no chance to compete.

Yes, it would be fun. And, yes, it would sell some tickets. But it would be wrong, and as steward of the franchise he must think beyond today.

To give away a year of team control would be irresponsible, just as it would have been for Theo Epstein, even though there was a pretty soft case for keeping Bryant at Iowa that first week of the season.

But Bryant arrived in the fourth year of a rebuild. This is only the second year for the Sox, and if the Sox are able to craft a roster with a chance to win the World Series every season by the fifth year -- as did the Cubs -- that would be 2021.

And by keeping Jimenez and Kopech down for the first week or two of 2019, the free-agent clock wouldn't start on them until 2020 and they are guaranteed to be here through at least 2025.

It may not feel like it right now, but it will feel a whole lot better if these guys become superstars and you have them for that seventh year.

Instead of only six.”

source:

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20180807/rozner-7-years-of-jimenez-kopech-is-more-than-6-for-the-white-sox

brozner@dailyherald.com

8/7/18

Edited by Steelers72

With Giolito continuing to implode (to the tune of 7er last night), it would be nice of the white Sox to swap him with Kopech in the minors...we’ll see

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steelers72 said:

With Giolito continuing to implode (to the tune of 7er last night), it would be nice of the white Sox to swap him with Kopech in the minors...we’ll see

Been scratching my head on this one for a couple of weeks now... Giolito's clock is already started tho and Kopech's is not... 

At this point into the rebuild do The White Sox want to not promote Kopech this year as AAA should get close to maxing him out plus he can play AFL.  Then keep him down for the first few weeks next season to prevent losing a year of arbitration.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:26 PM, tekashi26ix said:

Worst case though he could be an elite closer for a decade. Going to stay the course in dynasty...

That's not the worst case. There are a lot of worse outcomes than that.

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

That's not the worst case. There are a lot of worse outcomes than that.

Hopefully it won't even come to that if he keeps throwing like this:

Tonight's line - 7IP, 0 ER, 5 Hits, 0 BB, 9 K's

6 straight outstanding starts including 50 K's and 4 BB's over his last 38 innings pitched.

The only boxes he and Eloy aren't checking off right now are the service time boxes. They're both absolutely ready. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Steelers72 said:

7ip 5h 0er 0bb 9k on last night’s start. Really knocking on the door. 

Eloy also homered that same game

The White Sox have shut that door. Expect that door to stay shut until next season. They have no reason to call them up.

• Like 1