fletch44

Michael Kopech - P CHW

9 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

another great outing tonight; 6 IP, 9 K, 7 H, 1 ER

And perhaps most important of all - once again 0 BB's.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

What an absolute Stud 

Please don't jinx it....find the nearest piece of wood and knock on it. Now. 

Last month (7 starts): 44 IP, 9 ER, 39 H, 4 BBs, 65 Ks.

Absolute bonkers domination. He's back in my overall top 10 and the discussion between him and Whitley, Gore, McKay, Sixto, etc is kind of done. He's the clear #1 and should be an impact guy the moment he comes up. 

• Like 2

The complete reversal of control issues go a long way in projections IMO. Some pitchers never learn that type of control, but he went from one end of the spectrum to the other, with the flip of a switch. Whoever flipped that switch needs promoted.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Yanks#1 said:

The complete reversal of control issues go a long way in projections IMO. Some pitchers never learn that type of control, but he went from one end of the spectrum to the other, with the flip of a switch. Whoever flipped that switch needs promoted.

This tells me that he is able to correct issues, showing a real maturity as a pitcher. He has top of rotation starter upside written all over him. The only reason he isn't pitching in Chicago right now is simple: Service time. I think he's the best starting pitcher prospect in baseball now that his control issues have been resolved. 

• Like 1

Still holding in a redraft league.  Foolish or nah? 

I'm starting to believe he won't get the call in '18 because of service time. 

4 minutes ago, 80version said:

He also have already 126.1 IP logged in MilB this season so.... I have a feeling they going to cap his IP at a number close to his pitched totals already.... ( he did pitch 134IP total in 2017).

Edited by DJSatane

5 minutes ago, 80version said:

This is likely. Not a given, but the Sox have to balance:

-how valuable is getting him MLB time now?

The Sox are not going to compete next year so they probably know next year will be his "learning" year, no need to burn up a year on a meaningless stretch of games. if the Sox were expected to compete next year, you can bet your butt Kopech would be up now to get that all important experience. 

27 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

The Sox are not going to compete next year so they probably know next year will be his "learning" year, no need to burn up a year on a meaningless stretch of games. if the Sox were expected to compete next year, you can bet your butt Kopech would be up now to get that all important experience. 

I'm not directing this to you at all when I say this, but I hate this mindset in baseball. They are essentially wasting these prospects time (i.e Kopech, Eloy, Vlad Jr.) by not playing them, as they clearly are head and shoulders above their peers in the minors. Call your best players up and let them learn against the best. They might actually be really friggin' good and win you some games instead of trotting out mediocrity from free agency all season.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Last month (7 starts): 44 IP, 9 ER, 39 H, 4 BBs, 65 Ks.

Absolute bonkers domination. He's back in my overall top 10 and the discussion between him and Whitley, Gore, McKay, Sixto, etc is kind of done. He's the clear #1 and should be an impact guy the moment he comes up. 

I couldn't agree more. His stuff was already bonkers, his K/9 is godley (no not Zach) & it was just his control. So now that he's still K'ing everyone & suddenly walking no one (as shown by his last 3 starts of tallying at least 9+ K's & 0 BB in all 3) combined with the few starts before that still very Low BB #'s, he's unequivocally the best Pitching prospect in baseball.

I like Luzardo a lot & Whitley is still great too but Kopech os ready for the show RIGHT NOW! In fact probably a start or two ago he was ready. Going from 4-5 BBs a game to 0 shows insane ability to correct things & adjust, kid's a future Ace. As someone stated earlier, whoever "corrected" his control issues deserves an enormous raise!

5 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

They are essentially wasting these prospects time (i.e Kopech, Eloy, Vlad Jr.) by not playing them, as they clearly are head and shoulders above their peers in the minors. Call your best players up and let them learn against the best. They might actually be really friggin' good and win you some games instead of trotting out mediocrity from free agency all season.

If it weren't for the service time issue I'm certain all three players would be up right now.

6 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

I'm not directing this to you at all when I say this, but I hate this mindset in baseball. They are essentially wasting these prospects time (i.e Kopech, Eloy, Vlad Jr.) by not playing them, as they clearly are head and shoulders above their peers in the minors. Call your best players up and let them learn against the best. They might actually be really friggin' good and win you some games instead of trotting out mediocrity from free agency all season.

(Agree completely)

Another thing to keep in mind is, teams do this to save money six years from now. As if they know what's going to happen next season, let alone six years from now. Sure, you could get hit with that extra third year of arbitration - but that would only really make a dent if the guy happens to turn out to be as good as you're hoping (in which case, boo hoo, poor owners). Meanwhile, you're retarding his professional development and gambling against any possible acceleration of whatever plan you ostensibly have in place. In other words, he might not be ready if or when you need him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

I agree the system shouldn't be set up the way it is, as it effectively penalizes teams who don't play these service time games. It sucks. But within this setup, it's just smart business for Chicago to keep him down until next year. 

18 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

They might be able to compete next year, with additions of Kopech, Eloy and a healthy Rodon all year, why not, there is always a team that comes from nowhere like the A's did this year, if Moncada can get better, who knows

38 minutes ago, Steelers72 said:

Kopech called up for his Tuesday start!

Two start week? Thought Rodon was slated for Tuesday. Not complaining; I have both haha

guess he’s replacing covey?

pitching prospects are so hit or miss

On one of my dynasty teams I'm just getting Julio Urias back from a lengthy absence and now Kopech is basically replacing Urias in that "injured for a long time" role

On 9/7/2018 at 10:11 PM, Cdub2k said:

pitching prospects are so hit or miss

On one of my dynasty teams I'm just getting Julio Urias back from a lengthy absence and now Kopech is basically replacing Urias in that "injured for a long time" role

Imagine having Reyes, Urias, and Kopech...