fletch44

Michael Kopech - P CHW

Michael Kopech came in in the 5th today and just straight dominated. It was a thing of beauty. It looked like he got all 5 on 4 seamers somewhere between 97-99 mph (that's not a fact, that is what my amateur scout friends radar showed he said).

I haven't caught any of Kopech appearances this spring until today because his games didnt happen to be on MLB tv that day but I areally hope Kopech is taking advantage of throwing his slider and changeup while hes in camp pitching to major leaguers. His slider is already a plus offering but he still doesn't command it well at times.

But it's Kopechs changeup that he needs to keep improving. When he does throw a changeup, it always stays low and sinks. I think he still has too much velocity on it for it to have an impact. If he can throw his changeup somewhere between 84-86mph, a good 10mph difference then his fastball, that will propel Kopech into an a frontline starter. That's assuming he's able to consistently command all 3 pitches. But I just don't see any reason to not believe that Kopech will solve his control problems. He's already come such a long way from where he was when he was drafted.

I just get worried because I see an athletic pitcher like Tyler Glasnow who just seems to not be able to overcome his control problems. Then again the same was said about Aaron Sanchez but all he needed was time and repetition to solve his problems. Either way, Kopechs last 2 appearances were shear dominance over his competition. I'm super excited on this kid...

1 hour ago, amcsoldier said:

First start of 2017: 4.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 10 K

10 out of 13 outs by K? Whoa.

I was just coming here to post about his AA debut today. He struck out the side in the 2nd , 3rd and 4th inning. He did give up a homerun and an RBI double but otherwise he pitched very well. 

Edited by Under500Forever

On 4/9/2017 at 7:22 PM, Wild Thing said:

If he pitches really well when is the earliest he could be called up?

I don't think we will see him until mid/late 2018

Here's a quick update on Kopech

his last start was 4-14-17 and he did ok except for the walks 

Michael Kopech: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 5 BB, 5 K

I don't believe the White Sox are all that conservative with their prospects. They drafted Rodon in June 2014 and he was pitching in the bigs by week 3 or 4 of 2015. Granted, he had college experience. Still, thats's a fast track. I could see Kopech up for some relief action in September (assuming success at AA).

Nice start yesterday but he did walk 4 batters

Michael Kopech, rhp, White Sox. Kopech got his first win in the White Sox organization, pitching six scoreless innings, giving up just one hit and striking out eight in Double-A Birmingham’s 3-2 win over Jacksonville (Marlins). Kopech relied more on his sinker, but reportedly touched 102 mph on the stadium radar gun. In 18 innings, Kopech has struck out 28 and allowed just nine hits but walked 14

7 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Nice start yesterday but he did walk 4 batters

Michael Kopech, rhp, White Sox. Kopech got his first win in the White Sox organization, pitching six scoreless innings, giving up just one hit and striking out eight in Double-A Birmingham’s 3-2 win over Jacksonville (Marlins). Kopech relied more on his sinker, but reportedly touched 102 mph on the stadium radar gun. In 18 innings, Kopech has struck out 28 and allowed just nine hits but walked 14

I get a Glasnow 2.0 in the making type feeling.  Elite stuff, awful control, high k's, way too many walks.  Maybe throw 96-97 and try throwing with more control, rather than throwing 102 just to throw 102.  I still have high hopes for him, but his control is very concerning.

Edited by deuce4off

On 4/17/2017 at 10:33 PM, amcsoldier said:

I don't believe the White Sox are all that conservative with their prospects. They drafted Rodon in June 2014 and he was pitching in the bigs by week 3 or 4 of 2015. Granted, he had college experience. Still, thats's a fast track. I could see Kopech up for some relief action in September (assuming success at AA).

There's really no need to start his clock this year.  The Sox also probably won't be playing for anything in September, so there really isn't any reason to bring him up in September.  Finally, they are going to try to keep his innings down.  They aren't going to rush him while in rebuild mode.

12 hours ago, deuce4off said:

I get a Glasnow 2.0 in the making type feeling.  Elite stuff, awful control, high k's, way too many walks.  Maybe throw 96-97 and try throwing with more control, rather than throwing 102 just to throw 102.  I still have high hopes for him, but his control is very concerning.

Unfortunately , I agree with you. Kopech (and Glasnow) have a ton of upside but if they can't harness their control in a bit then chances are they won't hit their ceilings as major league starters. If Kopech doesn't pan out as a starter I could see him being a closer down the road but again, he can't walk 2 batters in the 9th inning. He seems to be more concerned about throwing 110 MPH but that shouldn't be a priority. If you can throw 105 mph then great but if you can't control it then what's the point. I own kopech and I'm very high on him but you hit the nail on the head. his control is concerning and he should focus on trying to control his pitches even if he has to tone it down a bit. 

12 hours ago, deuce4off said:

There's really no need to start his clock this year.  The Sox also probably won't be playing for anything in September, so there really isn't any reason to bring him up in September.  Finally, they are going to try to keep his innings down.  They aren't going to rush him while in rebuild mode.

Even if he does well this year I don't see the Sox bringing him up until  mid/late 2018

Good start on Thursday May 4th

6 innings , 4 hits , 3 runs , 2 walks and 8K's

2017 line so far:

24 innings, 13 hits , 8 earned runs, 16 walks , 

36 K's , 3.00 ERA, 1.208 WHIP and 2 homeruns allowed. 

He is having a good season aside from the walks. Giving up more walks than hits over 5 starts is a negative but everything else looks great. 13.5 K/9 but also 6.0 BB/9. If he can get those walks under control he could be a major stud muffin 

Edited by Under500Forever

Line tonight: 6 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 6 K.

4 walks over last 12 IP...   ehhhhh? Progress!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, amcsoldier said:

We'll take it! I'm following Kopech closely because he is a bit of a wildcard for dynasty owners. If he harnesses his control he could end up being a SP but if he doesn't he could end up a closer. 

11 hours ago, amcsoldier said:

If you told me I could get Kopech with a guaranteed 2 walks per outing - no more, no less - I would take that all day everyday and enjoy owning a top 15 big league arm.

• Like 1

During His last start (may 14th) he took a no hitter into the 6th inning but things got a little out of control from there. At the end of 5 innings he had 8 K's , 0 hits, 2 walks  

Final line:

5.1 innings, 3 hits, 3 runs , 3 walks and 9 K's 

Michael Kopech was completely overwhelming in the early part of his Sunday start, as he often is when he’s at the height of his powers against Double-A competition.

He took a no-hitter into the sixth inning with eight strikeouts, but ran out of steam all at once in that inning. A Ryan Walker solo shot greeted him promptly, and after striking out Nick Gordon, a walk and back-to-back ground ball singles ended his day. He ended the day with just three hits against him, but also three earned runs and three walks. His ERA is at 3.06 for the year.

18 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

During His last start (may 14th) he took a no hitter into the 6th inning but things got a little out of control from there. At the end of 5 innings he had 8 K's , 0 hits, 2 walks  

Final line:

5.1 innings, 3 hits, 3 runs , 3 walks and 9 K's 

Michael Kopech was completely overwhelming in the early part of his Sunday start, as he often is when he’s at the height of his powers against Double-A competition.

He took a no-hitter into the sixth inning with eight strikeouts, but ran out of steam all at once in that inning. A Ryan Walker solo shot greeted him promptly, and after striking out Nick Gordon, a walk and back-to-back ground ball singles ended his day. He ended the day with just three hits against him, but also three earned runs and three walks. His ERA is at 3.06 for the year.

nsr.gif

• Like 2

Line last night: 7 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 2 BB, 8 K

Worth noting that both walks and the run occurred in the first third of the first inning. He's capable of settling down.

Baby steps!

• Like 1

He walked 4 today but aside from that he had a nice game. 

White Sox prospect Michael Kopech struck out 10 over 5 2/3 innings in his start with Double-A Birmingham on Wednesday.

Kopech scattered four hits, walked four and allowed just one run in the outing. In his nine previous starts this season, the 21-year-old right-hander had been working to a 3.04 ERA, 1.09 WHIP and 65/27 K/BB ratio across 47 1/3 innings. MLB.com ranked him as the No. 17 prospect in baseball prior to the start of the 2017 campaign.

Can we get the thread name changed to CWS?  Thanks mods.

• Like 2

From Rotoworld's own Chris Crawford, in today's Top 10 Prospects:

I wanted to wait until Kopech reached Triple-A to make the top 10. I can’t wait any longer. Simply put, Kopech has shown the best stuff of any minor-league pitcher in baseball, and you can see from the ERA and strikeout totals that he’s getting the job done. The command still leaves a lot to be desired, but his stuff is so good that it really may not matter. Kopech could be a top of the rotation arm, and he should get a chance to show you why at the highest level this summer.

Dominant start.  8 IP, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 K's.  

• Like 4

I really like this kid's stuff.  His high walk rate concerns me a little, but there's no questioning his stuff.  If he can get his command nailed down he'll be a #1 or #2 starter and if he doesn't I could see him ending up being an elite closer option a-la Chapman.  I don't really think you can go wrong with this kid either way.