fletch44

Michael Kopech - P CHW

36 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Does anyone know how hard he is throwing?

From what I have seen, he consistently throws more so now between 97-100mph in an effort to maintain control better and last longer into games, but this kid is known to really dial it up all the way to 105mph and a couple of reports had him reach 107mph, but I am having trouble believing that is possible.  This kid is a freak of nature and is built like a brick s@$%house.  He is only getting better and better and his stuff is just hard to hone in on.  I can't wait for him to get the call.

3 hours ago, panthers528 said:

From what I have seen, he consistently throws more so now between 97-100mph in an effort to maintain control better and last longer into games, but this kid is known to really dial it up all the way to 105mph and a couple of reports had him reach 107mph, but I am having trouble believing that is possible.  This kid is a freak of nature and is built like a brick s@$%house.  He is only getting better and better and his stuff is just hard to hone in on.  I can't wait for him to get the call.

I was asking mostly what his current MPH was during the 0 BB performance. Was wondering if he was dipping lower to maintain control or if he was still in the higher range. 

Thanks for the info. Does anyone think he'll get the call soon? September? 2018?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Great start so far!

5 innings , 2 hits , 1 run, 2 walks , 9 Ks

Really seems like he has had alot more control lately. Great to see!

AWESOME start tonight!

final line:

6 innings , 2 hits , 1 run , 2  walks and 12 Ks 

107 pitches. 

2 good starts in a row with only  2 walks and 20 Ks

• Like 1

Michael Kopech went to the Futures Game and came back a changed pitcher.

The top White Sox pitching prospect capped a run of strong July outings with a career-high 12 strikeouts while allowing one run on two hits over six innings as the Double-A Birmingham Barons beat the Chattanooga Lookouts, 3-1, on Wednesday.

"There were some mechanical adjustments that needed to be made around the All-Star Break," Kopech said after his third straight win. "Coming off the All-Star Break with the Futures Game behind me and a couple other good outings, I feel like I'm in as good a place as I can be right now. I feel like I'm able to repeat a lot better, and I'm just comfortable taking the mound no matter who I'm facing."

"I kind of had gotten away from my direction to the plate," he said of his All-Star Break adjustments. "I started to spin off away toward first base when I threw my pitches, and it led to a lot more walks than I wanted this year. But right now, I feel like I'm commanding my fastball as good as ever because I'm able to keep my direction to the plate and through the zone. That's something that I was doing really well in the Fall League last year, and I kind of got away from it this year."

From June 6 to July 4, Kopech went 0-4 with a 7.46 ERA in six starts, allowing 21 earned runs on 27 hits in 25 1/3 innings. He walked 22 to water down 26 strikeouts over that span. Since his return from the Futures Game, where his fastball touched 101 mph during a perfect third inning in the United States' win, the righty has gone 3-0 with a 0.90 ERA in three outings. He's given up two runs on 10 hits in 20 innings, striking out 25 while walking four in that time. Kopech has gone at least six innings in all three and delivered eight scoreless frames with eight whiffs and no walks on July 20.

"(Birmingham's pitching coach) Jose Bautista gave me a few pointers after one of my rough outings, and it clicked with me again," he said. "I just feel like I'm able to repeat it a lot better now than I did the first half of the year."

full article :

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/michael-kopech-fans-career-high-12-for-birmingham-barons/c-244732406/t-185364810

• Like 1

Kid is special no question about it. Easy, easy 100 mph. Potentially two other + pitchers. Maybe 90-95% of Syndergaard but potentially with fewer injury concerns (due to the easy action). Still a pitcher, so still not out of the timeframe when you're prone to see them break, but he's definitely getting better.

Sort of surprised he's not at Charlotte yet. My guess is that Lopez getting promoted soon could also trigger the Kopech appointment. My guess is that if he stays healthy, we're probably talking middle of next year for a call-up.

Saw both Chris Crawford and Keith Law calling him the #1 pitching prospect in baseball on Twitter last night. In the absence of a clear standout, it very well could be him - at least on upside. When it comes to prospect arms, I'm slowly becoming a TINSTAAPP disciple, so if it's all a fools errand than why not shoot the moon? I'm all in on Kopech!

Edited by amcsoldier

On 7/27/2017 at 0:12 PM, amcsoldier said:

Saw both Chris Crawford and Keith Law calling him the #1 pitching prospect in baseball on Twitter last night. In the absence of a clear standout, it very well could be him - at least on upside. When it comes to prospect arms, I'm slowly becoming a TINSTAAPP disciple, so if it's all a fools errand than why not shoot the moon? I'm all in on Kopech!

K Law is more into being a food critic now, and IMO has been off his game for a while. Kopech *may* have the most upside, but that doesn't make him the best prospect..

• Like 1

Another solid start last night...

7 IP, 5 hits , 2 runs, 0 walks, 8 Ks

since the all star break he has

27 IP, 15 hits , 4 ER , 4 walks , 33 Ks

its a very small sample but this is the Michael Kopech that has tremendous upside in a starting rotation. 

• Like 3

Tonight:

7 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 K

Post-ASB:

34 IP, 18 H, 3 ER, 5 BB, 44 K

That K:BB ratio...

VGNX2.gif

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone think he will be called up anytime soon???

White Sox are very conservative so likely not.  He's my most intriguing prospect.  That arm is a f***** rocket launcher.  You don't see many arm talents like this come around too often.  If he can keep harnessing this command you may be looking at the best pitching prospect in baseball.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone think he will be called up anytime soon???

No chance he's up this year.

Another dominant start last night - 7 IP, 0 runs, 3 hits, 2 walks, 10 Ks. This guy is a beast.

Edited by bradwatson

On 8/9/2017 at 11:13 PM, rrrich46 said:

Is he a midseason callup in 2018? Or can he win a spot out of the gate??

They aren't going to rush any of their prospects.  He will get plenty of starts in AAA before getting the call.  

Edited by deuce4off

The transformation in control is exceptional. Should go into 2018 battling Honeywell at the top of the pitching prospect lists. To me, he's the top fantasy pitching prospect.

2 hours ago, oswald737 said:

The transformation in control is exceptional. Should go into 2018 battling Honeywell at the top of the pitching prospect lists. To me, he's the top fantasy pitching prospect.

Dont forget about Alex Reyes. I agree though. Kopech is the man.

On 8/18/2017 at 2:52 PM, amcsoldier said:

Off to AAA...

How long does the AAA season last? Do we have an idea of how many starts he will get there before the season is done?

3 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

How long does the AAA season last? Do we have an idea of how many starts he will get there before the season is done?

Two, maybe three more starts. Fine by me. Keep the mileage low. He'll enter 2018 lists as one of the top two prospect arms in baseball.

• Like 2