fletch44

Michael Kopech - P CHW

19 minutes ago, amcsoldier said:

Two, maybe three more starts. Fine by me. Keep the mileage low. He'll enter 2018 lists as one of the top two prospect arms in baseball.

The other top 2 arm being who, Reyes?

15 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

The other top 2 arm being who, Reyes?

If I were to venture a guess for 2018, the tiers would be Kopech and Walker Buehler, step, Reyes (only because it'll be his first full year removed from TJ), step, Honeywell, Keller, McKenzie, Allard, then a very crowded fourth tier.

I think the argument will be "Kopech needed to show he can harness his howtizer, and starting post-ASB, he did just that."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, amcsoldier said:

If I were to venture a guess for 2018, the tiers would be Kopech and Walker Buehler, step, Reyes (only because it'll be his first full year removed from TJ), step, Honeywell, Keller, McKenzie, Allard, then a very crowded fourth tier.

I think the argument will be "Kopech needed to show he can harness his howtizer, and starting post-ASB, he did just that."

I'm all in on both Kopech and Buehler, 2018 looks very promising for them both..

Yet another quality outing last night with 0 walks. He looks like he's close to being ready for the show. Can't wait to see him in 2018.

Edited by bradwatson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

Yet another quality outing last night with 0 walks. He looks like he's close to being ready for the show. Can't wait to see him in 2018.

He's ready. The Sox aren't though. LOL

Looked absolutely filthy today.

2.1IP 1R 0ER 1BB 3K

9/11 first pitch strikes. 16 of 21 pitches for strikes. And 9 swinging strikes in 21 pitches.

I wonder how long they'll be able to hold this kid down.

5 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Looked absolutely filthy today.

2.1IP 1R 0ER 1BB 3K

9/11 first pitch strikes. 16 of 21 pitches for strikes. And 9 swinging strikes in 21 pitches.

I wonder how long they'll be able to hold this kid down.

Hard to say. Pitchers are generally handled a little differently than position players as it relates to Super-Two, but given how they handled Moncada... I think that drafting with the expectation that we see him before June is probably a mistake.

Rick Hahn said he won't start the season with the big club he has very little AAA time.

Is the ETA still after June? Seems like there were mixed results in ST. How many starts do you think the CWS will want to see from him in AAA?

If he's destroying AAA he'll probably be up sometime in the Summer (June-July?). They really have no reason to rush him.  

First start of 2018

4 IP / 2 H / O R / 2 BB / 8K / 77 pitches.

Watching on gamecast, which could have been totally inaccurate, he did stay right around the plate all night.

• Like 2

Surprised to see no mention of this fantrax blurb:

More from
Phil Rogers of MLB.com reports that White Sox top pitching prospect Michael Kopech could be called up for a spot start. The White Sox have Thursday off and Friday's scheduled starter James Shields has appeared in relief Wednesday for the White Sox. It would be a bit of a surprise to see Kopech promoted at this point, but if he does get the call, he is worth adding in all formats.

The ChiSox have a cumulative ERA of 6.28 amidst their current starting rotation.  Fulmer and Gonzalez, specifically, have been absolutely atrocious.  Hopefully we won't have to wait till June to see Kopech on the  "Southside".  

6 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

Haven't found any thing about a call up.

Looking at his Twitter feed it appears it's merely conjecture/hoping on his part. I guess it's possible, but not looking likely. I was somewhat fooled (maybe wishing myself) when fantrax cited someone from mlb.com. False alarm, good drill guys. 

What kind of line could we expect if he comes up in June? Is 10+ wins out of the question for a rook playing for this team as they stand right now?

2 minutes ago, A Real PW said:

What kind of line could we expect if he comes up in June? Is 10+ wins out of the question for a rook playing for this team as they stand right now?

Yes, that would be an unlikely scenario for sure.

3 minutes ago, A Real PW said:

You add him for the Ks and ERA not the wins

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

You add him for the Ks and ERA not the wins

That makes more sense. I have trouble believing in sustainable ERA on a rookie, been burned a lot there. Thanks.

He’s a special talent, a true specimen of the highest order, but yes occasionally his control will lapse and he’ll get lit up

1BB

Digging that ratio

Kopech (0-1) allowed three runs on six hits and one walk while striking out a season-high 10 for Triple-A Charlotte on Friday.

Kopech made his third start of the season and upped his pitch count to 95 (59 for strikes). He was unable to pitch himself out of trouble and hurt by a hit batsman, a stolen base, a balk and a wild pitch. The right-hander has a 2.40 ERA with five walks and 21 strikeouts over 15 innings. That 3.0 BB/9 walk rate his particularly encouraging, a sign that his wavering command is improving

• Like 2

Another really bad start by Giolito tonight. I wonder how long they wait until Kopech gets a shot.

37 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Another really bad start by Giolito tonight. I wonder how long they wait until Kopech gets a shot.

Id love to see him get a shot, but I can't imagine he's up before super two. They're obviously not going anywhere this season, why [potentially] waste the long money..