avswsop91

Shohei Ohtani - Angels

Jim Allen ‏@JballAllen 15h15 hours ago

Source: #sluggingAce Shohei Otani might be interested in moving to #mlb IF teams see him as BOTH pitcher and batter.

Sounds like he's coming to the NL

I would say the opposite. If he were in the AL he could pitch every 5th day and DH the rest of the time.

Good point if he's really sticking to his guns that may be the case but I could also see a manager convince him to hit 8th as some managers have been experimenting and be a sort of clean up hitter whenever the 2nd half of the order gets a rally going. Or even get a rally started from that position and then the top of the order comes up

If he comes over to pitch and hit, how will that work for fantasy purposes? Two seperate Otani's? lol

• Like 1

Source: #sluggingAce Shohei Otani might be interested in moving to #mlb IF teams see him as BOTH pitcher and batter.

Is he really that good a hitter?

Yes, almost as good as his arm. Kid is legit.

Wow. I've watched enough video of him as a pitcher to be 100% sold. Didn't know he was a stud at the plate too.

Is he really that good a hitter?

Yes, almost as good as his arm. Kid is legit.

Wow. I've watched enough video of him as a pitcher to be 100% sold. Didn't know he was a stud at the plate too.

He could literally break fantasy baseball. Unanimous #1 pick if he could put up a line like this:

90 runs 20 homers 80 rbi 10 sb .295ba

18 wins 200ks 295era 1.08 whip

Have any of you actually seen his hitting lines?

He's not hitting over here. His stats look good in a small sample this year but he hit .202 last year. Maybe if he's projectable? Who knows. I doubt it.

• Like 1

Have any of you actually seen his hitting lines?

He's not hitting over here. His stats look good in a small sample this year but he hit .202 last year. Maybe if he's projectable? Who knows. I doubt it.

He will likely drop it once he realizes that teams won't risk him but he can resolve to make a difference in the lineup every 4 or 5 days and even bat 7th or 8th.

For those asking if he's legit with the bat, he's third in NPB with 7HRs and sporting a .322/.388/.729 line.

• Like 1

If his stuff is THAT good no chance any team gives him more than an occasional pinch hit appearance. Maybe it makes him more appealing to an NL team.

For those asking if he's legit with the bat, he's third in NPB with 7HRs and sporting a .322/.388/.729 line.

Wow. He's like the real life Japanese Natural.

Wow. He's like the real life Japanese Natural.

Everything I've heard is he's a good mix of Pedro Martinez/ randy Johnson/ mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa.

• Like 2

So how would software handle this guy? Is he drafted twice? Just once, but you have to decide which side of the ball you play him on, nightly? Gets it all as one player, and dominates?

Currently I don't know of any site that gives you batter stats from a pitcher, or pitching stats on the rare occasion that a hitter, pitches.

When was the last time baseball had an ironman? So many questions

I don't believe any team in the majors would risk a huge investment on him to pitch while subjecting him to the rigors of everyday play. I could even see AL teams balking at having him DH due to the heightened risk of injury on the base paths, but that's probably the very best situation he could hope for.

• Like 2

I could maybe see him being used as a bench OF when he's not pitching - pinch hit sometimes, start a couple in the OF. Not everyday though. Has to prepare to pitch

NL teams can also say you can hit when we are the home team and days when you're not pitching and they are the away team to an AL team he could DH.

I've read his reports and I don't see anyway he doesn't become anything but a pitcher.

Considering the posting fee plus the contract this guy's going to demand, there's no chance in hell an MLB team lets him hit daily. If anything, I'd say he ends up in the NL so he can at least bat when he pitches.

It would be a great weapon for an NL coach to be able to use him as a pinch hitter -- essentially extends the bench by a player, instead of only seeing a SP hit on his off days in those 18-inning marathon games where there's literally no one left (and he's probably hitting against a position player pitching). That is a situation I could see... sort of a beefed up Mike Hampton, if you will.

I mean, a guy like Bumgarner is a pretty good hitter and could probably hold his own if given everyday ABs, but he's not paid to hit. He's paid to keep other guys from hitting. Otani will be the same.

U guys remember the movie The Scout? Brendan Frazier plays this kid who hits home runs off Bret Sabrehagen and strikes out Mattingly in his exhibition in front of all the teams. The premise is he would get twice as much since he could hit and Pitch like an all star. This sounds like the same deal except in real life no pitcher could start and hit everyday. A reliever might though. In fact a DH reliever would be a way cool idea. So many ways that would play out. DH then pitch an inning then go back to DH. sounds illegal sadly. Fantasy would never let a team get a pitchers hitting stats. Ankiel comes to mind as a failed pitcher who reinvented himself as a hitter.

hijacking here, but for dynasty leagues, Shintaro Fujinami is nearly as good of a stash. He said on a Japanese talk show that he plans on playing in the MLB.

hijacking here, but for dynasty leagues, Shintaro Fujinami is nearly as good of a stash. He said on a Japanese talk show that he plans on playing in the MLB.

Happy to sit on both and hope for the best

• Like 1

Happy to sit on both and hope for the best

That's exactly what I'm doing. We have a separate 15 man MiLB list we manage on a communal excel sheet.

The opportunity cost is there, but I think of it as analogous to owning a super stud in Rookie or A ball (with less risk). It's possible that both Fujinami and Otani end up better pitchers than Lucas Giolito. The market isn't valuing them like a Giolito right now, but the hype will get meteoric as they get closer to the MLB.

Both of them are being compared to Yu Darvish.

• Like 1

great read

http://2080baseball.com/2016/05/shohei-otani-and-the-cultural-depth-of-amateur-baseball-in-japan/

Dave Defreitas scouted for the Cleveland Indians a few years ago, was stationed overseas in Japan. Has good knowledge and ties. Seems to think Otani could be here by 2018.

• Like 1

So how would software handle this guy? Is he drafted twice? Just once, but you have to decide which side of the ball you play him on, nightly? Gets it all as one player, and dominates?

Currently I don't know of any site that gives you batter stats from a pitcher, or pitching stats on the rare occasion that a hitter, pitches.

When was the last time baseball had an ironman? So many questions

babe ruth, probably. Lots of players have made the switch from pitcher to hitter like Brandon Belt