avswsop91

Shohei Ohtani - Angels

Color me crazy but I could see the Cubs not signing Jake Arrieta to a long-term deal and going all in on this guy this offseason.  His profile is that of a true/elite Ace (top 5-7 starter in baseball) with a very good bat.

What does everyone think his ADP in redrafts will be?

he was on the 60 minutes cbs news magazine show tonight, now everyone knows he is the next Babe Ruth!

1 hour ago, larfboy said:

so what's all this i hear that he may not end up coming next year...

so uh, where exactly are you hearing this?

2 hours ago, larfboy said:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/why-this-week-made-it-less-likely-shohei-otani-will-come-to-mlb-this-offseason/

sounds like he has a lot to lose if he comes early which may discourage him from coming. 

Otani doesn't seem to be motivated by the money based on interviews asking him about coming over so that's just something to consider in the get him over here right now crowd. But the article states everything well that its unlikely.

So... nothing has changed on the Otani front. It's been clear since the NPB posting limit was implemented that Otani will be losing a lot of money by coming over next year. Quotes from his manager and Otani himself hint that he may say "screw it" and come over anyway. I'm guessing we won't have any serious news until after the season.

I don't care what he says.  He is not coming over next season.

Nobody forgoes ~$200M which is the estimate what it will cost him if he comes over next season and not 2019.

NOBODY.

8 hours ago, B&F said:

I don't care what he says.  He is not coming over next season.

Nobody forgoes ~$200M which is the estimate what it will cost him if he comes over next season and not 2019.

NOBODY.

How would he be giving up $200M?  Why can't he sign a 1 year deal for the $5M limit and then sign the $200M extension in 2019?  

I didn't read the article and know nothing about this player. Wouldn't he make more money the longer he is in MLB? I understand penalties for leaving, but could the penalties real end up costing him in the long run? Thanks for discussing I just wanted to make a comment on the situation overall rather than looking at it by one season. Maybe staying one more year to avoid "-200M" is the right move.

1 hour ago, tommyGunZ said:

How would he be giving up $200M?  Why can't he sign a 1 year deal for the $5M limit and then sign the $200M extension in 2019?  

If he came over this off season and signs he is then like any other player.  Under team control and not eligible for free agency after year 5.

http://riveraveblues.com/2017/02/the-2017-18-international-free-agent-class-and-the-shohei-otani-question-150047/

it's almost like major league baseball wants to deter talent form joining the league.

• Like 1

Last I heard MLB was pushing some rule that would result in Otani not being able to come over this year. I'll have to look back and try and find the specifics.

Found it:

MLB is trying to scrap the posting system, probably so they can try to criminally underpay Japanese kids straight out of HS. A lack of a posting system this offseason would stop Otani from coming over this year

: Article
0 x
Edited by Tryptamine
  • Like 1

Yeah Texas,  Seattle and the Yankees are the teams with 2-4 million left to spend for this IFA period...but if the guy is willing to give up over 100 million dollars, I doubt a measly 3 million stops him from signing where he wants.

someone please make sure i'm understanding this correctly. when we say he's giving up hundreds of millions of dollars, that's in japan, correct? by staying in japan he could sign a big contract for the next couple of years, but instead it appears he's going to take a few million (or whatever) to sign with a U.S. team.

7 hours ago, Dugout Legend said:

Shouldn't there be an Otani thread in MLB outlook section instead of here in MILB. He won't see any action in MILB.

No, he isn't on any active 25 man MLB team roster, nor has he even signed with an MLB team yet. Until both things happen he remains an international prospect and this is the most appropriate forum to discuss him in.

I've had him in a keeper league for three years now. Finally my patience is paying off. Hoping my Nationals are in play in reality, however some teams have already exhausted their international pool money (which I'm assuming my Nationals are one of those teams). Either way, #ShoheiTheMoney 

22 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Does he get listed as a pitcher or hitter in leagues next year?

No one knows; however, my guess would be that if he is indeed allowed to play other positions regularly then sites would most likely have him available to draft twice, once as a pitcher, once as a hitter.

This is going to be such an interesting ride.

Where will he go if money isn't a factor? What is he looking for in a team? Will he aim for a short term contract so he can get paid soon after? Will there be behind the scenes promises given his contract limitations? Will his new team let him pitch and hit regularly, and if so how will they handle "rest" between starts? In fantasy how will they label him? How do you even begin to go about ranking a guy like him on draft lists?

No one can answer any of these yet but man am I excited to find out. Definitely beats the last off-season of Tebow-watch.