NYR Fan 116894

Brendan Rodgers - SS COL

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_28333457/brendan-rodgers-signs-colorado-rockies-meets-troy-tulowitzki

Brendan Rodgers — the 18-year-old phenom shortstop the Rockies signed to a $5.5 million bonus Wednesday, according to MLB.com — wants to be in the big-leagues by the age of 21.

That would put him in a purple uniform in 2017.

Troy Tulowitzki's contract goes through 2020.

"It depends on how I play," Rodgers said. "You never know what can happen."

Rodgers met with Tulowitzki, the Rockies' veteran shortstop, in the team's video room Wednesday. Tulowitzki, who debuted for the Rockies as a 21-year-old just one year after he was drafted, told the teenager he still remembers the day he signed with the Rockies, in 2005.

But Rodgers wants to fast-track his path. He signed for about $700,000 less than the slotted value of the No. 3 pick, based on past picks in the same range, according to an MLB.com report.

He'll report to the rookie-league Grand Junction Rockies on Thursday in Idaho. Then he'll ride the team bus back to Colorado, work out with the team for three days and play as a pro for the first time next week.

Rodgers, who scouts as a power-hitting shortstop with a power arm from the middle of the infield, last hit in a game April 20 — in the final game of his high school season.

I just love this kid in Colorado. Sign me up for Rodgers at Coors everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Rodgers' upside at Coors is simply enormous.

Future 25 HR power IMO and could play up at Coors. He'd be my #1 overall selection in a dynasty rookie draft (discounting international guys) ahead of Swanson.

Matt Meyer @jmattmeyer 15m15 minutes ago

Brendan Rodgers up to bat with Piron on first. Leadoff walk for GJ.

Matt Meyer @jmattmeyer 11m11 minutes ago

Brendan Rodgers, the Rockies' top pick, dinks a bloop single into right field during his first career AB. Defensive swing on 0-2 count.

Matt Meyer @jmattmeyer 10m10 minutes ago

Rodgers goes first-to-third on beautiful hit-and-run from Sam Hilliard. Piron scores. GJ down 5-1 in the first.

Matt Meyer @jmattmeyer 8m8 minutes ago

Ryan Stephens beats out potential double play, allowing Rodgers to score. Grand Junction trails Orem 5-2 in the first.

Who knows. It will be years before that's an issue for the Rockies. Maybe position switch. 2b?

what happens to Trevor Story with Rodgers tearing it up?

I mean, Rodgers is probably 3 years away from the MLB. Problems like this usually work themselves out, so organizations don't worry a ton about things like this. They drafted Rodgers because they viewed him as the best player available. They didn't go in thinking Story is going to be a bust or that they'll deal him and draft Rodgers because then they'd need a SS for the future.

So to answer your question, nothing really happens to Story. Story should and will reach the majors before Rodgers does, and by the time Rodgers is up, we could be talking 2-3 years down the road. A lot can happen in that time, so we'll just have to wait and see.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_28333457/brendan-rodgers-signs-colorado-rockies-meets-troy-tulowitzki

Brendan Rodgers — the 18-year-old phenom shortstop the Rockies signed to a $5.5 million bonus Wednesday, according to MLB.com — wants to be in the big-leagues by the age of 21.

That would put him in a purple uniform in 2017.

Troy Tulowitzki's contract goes through 2020.

"It depends on how I play," Rodgers said. "You never know what can happen."

Rodgers met with Tulowitzki, the Rockies' veteran shortstop, in the team's video room Wednesday. Tulowitzki, who debuted for the Rockies as a 21-year-old just one year after he was drafted, told the teenager he still remembers the day he signed with the Rockies, in 2005.

But Rodgers wants to fast-track his path. He signed for about $700,000 less than the slotted value of the No. 3 pick, based on past picks in the same range, according to an MLB.com report.

He'll report to the rookie-league Grand Junction Rockies on Thursday in Idaho. Then he'll ride the team bus back to Colorado, work out with the team for three days and play as a pro for the first time next week.

Rodgers, who scouts as a power-hitting shortstop with a power arm from the middle of the infield, last hit in a game April 20 — in the final game of his high school season.

I just love this kid in Colorado. Sign me up for Rodgers at Coors everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Rodgers' upside at Coors is simply enormous.

Future 25 HR power IMO and could play up at Coors. He'd be my #1 overall selection in a dynasty rookie draft (discounting international guys) ahead of Swanson.

Which international guy are you taking over him? Just Moncada?

What MLB comp are we looking at for Rodgers? Is he a perennial 20/20 guy or are we looking at more power?

i know this is a bit premature, but when do we expect him to be up? mid to late 2017 at the earliest?

i know this is a bit premature, but when do we expect him to be up? mid to late 2017 at the earliest?

typo, meant 2018**

This is interesting: http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1459995255

DF (Wilmington, NC): BA has Dansby Swanson 17 and Brendan Rodgers 40 on your top 100. I believe you consider Swanson the Braves' SS of the future over Albies, so is the difference between Swanson/Rodgers that of a higher floor for Swanson, higher confidence that he'll remain at SS, or do you not even consider Rodgers' ceiling higher?

Matt Eddy: We received poor reports about Brendan Rodgers' work ethic at Rookie-level Grand Junction, which is reflected in his lower-than-expected ranking in the Top 100. We hope we are proven wrong and too reactionary. Please note that two of our staff top 50s in the Prospect Handbook ranked Rodgers ahead of Swanson, so it's by no means a unanimous position. I tend to hew close to our pre-draft rankings until it becomes obvious that a player is better or worse than expected. We haven't reached that point with 2015 draftees.
  • Like 1

This is interesting: http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1459995255

DF (Wilmington, NC): BA has Dansby Swanson 17 and Brendan Rodgers 40 on your top 100. I believe you consider Swanson the Braves' SS of the future over Albies, so is the difference between Swanson/Rodgers that of a higher floor for Swanson, higher confidence that he'll remain at SS, or do you not even consider Rodgers' ceiling higher?

Matt Eddy: We received poor reports about Brendan Rodgers' work ethic at Rookie-level Grand Junction, which is reflected in his lower-than-expected ranking in the Top 100. We hope we are proven wrong and too reactionary. Please note that two of our staff top 50s in the Prospect Handbook ranked Rodgers ahead of Swanson, so it's by no means a unanimous position. I tend to hew close to our pre-draft rankings until it becomes obvious that a player is better or worse than expected. We haven't reached that point with 2015 draftees.

Certainly not the best thing I've read all day as a new owner.

Kids got some easy power and bat speed. Hell, play Story at 2nd in 2 years (if he's still good. Spoiler alert: probably not).

Wanted to give him some love, not that he needs it. But 3/4 tonight with 3 doubles.

He's killing A ball right now triple slashing .364/.440/.636

Hit his 6th HR tonight. Move em up.

This kid is a banger. Between him and Story the Rocks appear to be set at short for years to come. He's ready for a promotion.

Give him a few more weeks in Low-A, then move him up. The kid is ready to be challenged.