NYR Fan 116894

Kevin Maitan - SS LAA

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2016/05/12/klawchat-51216/

Josh: Do any of the international signings have a chance to be within the top 100 after signing in July?

Klaw: Unlikely. Maitan, maybe, but scouts Ive talked to whove seen him say hes the best prospect in VZ/DR this year but dont speak of him the way they spoke of Sano in his signing year.

I think it's pretty rare to put any of these signings into the top-100 right away, but once the get into rookie ball or on an official short season circuit, that's when you often see them jump up.

The part about that quote by Law that's interesting is the second part where Maitan isn't being spoken about in the same sense that Sano was by scouts. No way he'd make a top 100 list so soon, but the second part is the interesting thing IMO.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2016/05/12/klawchat-51216/

Josh: Do any of the international signings have a chance to be within the top 100 after signing in July?

Klaw: Unlikely. Maitan, maybe, but scouts Ive talked to whove seen him say hes the best prospect in VZ/DR this year but dont speak of him the way they spoke of Sano in his signing year.

I think it's pretty rare to put any of these signings into the top-100 right away, but once the get into rookie ball or on an official short season circuit, that's when you often see them jump up.

The part about that quote by Law that's interesting is the second part where Maitan isn't being spoken about in the same sense that Sano was by scouts. No way he'd make a top 100 list so soon, but the second part is the interesting thing IMO.

Interesting, sure... the hype's been there with Maitan though, and while it may have cooled some now, part of that may be a product of the handshake deal that's been done for over a year with Atlanta. If he's locked into another team, why pump him up?

I'm not saying that's the case -- the hype on these kids is a little ridiculous until we actually see them play -- but it's a plausible explanation for scouts cooling on him, IMO. Either way - he'll either be good or he won't, and we won't know that until he gets in a system and starts playing regularly. Even still, if he starts in one of the Dominican leagues at 16 or 17, that's a path with regular progression that puts him in the bigs by 20 or 21 (assuming the talent hype is legit). That's a rare, rare beast.

• Like 1

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-5-20-16/

Dave: Lots of hype around Kevin Maitan. Is he a potential superstar or is the hype a bit too much? How does Maitan at 16 and Sano at 16 compare in your opinion?

Eric A Longenhagen: Bocaton > Maitan. Part of why Maitan was on the radar so early is because of how seen he matured, physically. But he’ll probably still be atop my J2 board.

The worst kept secret in baseball

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that the Braves have reached an agreement with top international prospect Kevin Maitan.

The deal is for a reported $4.25 million. 16-year-old Venezuelan shortstop is widely regarded as the top talent in this year's crop of international free agents. A switch-hitter, Maitan is believed to be the best prospect to come out of Venezuela since Miguel Cabrera. He's a pure hitter that's expected to hit for average and power, and a skilled defender with a strong arm that could remain at shortstop.
Related: Braves

Source: MLB.com
Jul 2 - 9:12 AM

I don't get how a guy who has 3 rotoworld pages on him when he's 16 can signs for just 4.25 million. Seems like a steal and ridiculously worth the risk. 

Yeah, I'm still surprised he wasn't closer to 7M range I believe Sano was

i believe the braves have to pay 100% penalty on that...so it's really $8.5 mil....but yea still worth the risk

Edited by crotchcrickets

Braves went nuts this period as was long rumored. The new CBA this offseason likely includes some form of international draft, which means this was the last chance to get elite prospects for cash. 

Glad Maitan is on board. Hope he lives up to the hype...

Any thoughts where he's fit into a top 100 list? Anybody believe h has the upside of Miggy or is that a reach? 

Hes not a top 100 prospect yet. Not even close at this point. 16 and without a professional AB... long ways away.

He may have the upside of Miggy on physical comps alone,  but that's essentially asking if he has the upside of the best hitter in the last decade or so. It's possible,  but it's extremely unlikely.

Lots of brake pumping needed. 

• Like 1

Agreed - can't place a prospect in the top 100 based on hype alone, there needs to be quantifiable data based on performance at either the minor league or elite college/H.S. programs. If Maitan hits the ground running and performs at a level akin to Bryce Harper at his age or something it won't take him too long to start rocketing up the list, but you can't place him there to start off with.

On 7/3/2016 at 1:32 PM, treat88 said:

Hes not a top 100 prospect yet. Not even close at this point. 16 and without a professional AB... long ways away.

He may have the upside of Miggy on physical comps alone,  but that's essentially asking if he has the upside of the best hitter in the last decade or so. It's possible,  but it's extremely unlikely.

Lots of brake pumping needed. 

looks like he's already a t100 prospect in BA's eyes.

As far as July 2 signees, Braves shortstop Kevin Maitan has a very solid case to be the first July 2 signee to jump right into the Top 100 since Miguel Sano ranked No. 94. I’d expect to see Maitan slot in the 90s as well. Maitan won’t play his first pro game until 2017, but the scouting reports out of Venezuela make him out to be one of the most polished international amateur hitters in years.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/ask-ba-draftees-crack-top-100/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/kevin-maitan-venezuelas-next-great-prospect/#qU0HXGLKLF2Fm24x.97

FWIW, I think t100 is perfectly reasonable.

I'm looking at the back end of BA's midseason t100, and I don't see any names I'd prefer to Maitan in my dynasty league. Naylor, Kaprielian, Calhoun, Polanco, Kilome... Not even as I keep going up the list.

In a dynasty, honestly, that isn't even close to Maitan's value.

I know there's a difference between real life and fantasy for these lists, but Maitan is supposed to have pretty good defense too, including a 70+ arm. It's perfectly rational to have him start at the back of the t100 and work his way up, IMO.

Maitan's market value is tough to pin down, but I wouldn't trade him for the majority of BA's t100. If it breaks right, he's destined for Moncada+ type of hype, I think, and selling now would be premature.

(yes I know he's 16, years away, and yet to get professional at bats)

I guess it's important to determine what kind of top 100 we are talking.

I am down with BA's take if it's a purely fantasy based list.  The upside is definitely worth the stash over guys who are more likely to become everyday regulars but lack superstar potential.

Obviously, I'm not a pro scout and haven't seen the kid play, but in a real life format to put him amongst the top 100 prospects at this point seems wildly optimistic.  Certainty and proximity carry far more value in the bigs than fantasy leagues.  Not only has he not had an AB, we don't even know what position he ends up playing.  It's just way too much projection for me to agree with BA's take yet.  I am far more in agreement with Keith Law on this one:

Mike: Would Kevin Maitan crack your top 100? If not, has any 16 year old cracked it?
Klaw: No, and none since Sano. Only three ever did and Sano is the only one to turn into anything.

All that said, I will happily and quickly admit I am just being pessimistic if he shows up against professional competition.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2016 at 6:42 PM, osb_tensor said:

i'm sure most that read this forum and/or topic have noticed, but maitan isn't only listed in fantasy top 100 lists, he's listed at #94 on mlb.com (http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=prospects). with an ETA of 2021 lol

I think he probably should be higher too. Has a better chance of being an all star than plenty of the guys ranked in the top 50 imo.

• Like 1

Who else is looking forward to seeing where this phenom lands on upcoming prospect rankings?

He's in the 40's on MLB.com's, haven't seen many others yet but that is pretty special for a 16 yr old. He will almost undoubtedly be taken #1 in fantasy prospect drafts all over the land this offseason and rightly so, no one else in the draft class has remotely the upside of mighty Maitan.

The Braves made a great signing with this kid, for the cost the reward could be enormous.

18 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Who else is looking forward to seeing where this phenom lands on upcoming prospect rankings?

He's in the 40's on MLB.com's, haven't seen many others yet but that is pretty special for a 16 yr old. He will almost undoubtedly be taken #1 in fantasy prospect drafts all over the land this offseason and rightly so, no one else in the draft class has remotely the upside of mighty Maitan.

The Braves made a great signing with this kid, for the cost the reward could be enormous.

You think he'll be taken over the likes of Senzel, Lewis, Groome? Or are you referring to a draft that doesn't include those guys? If that's the case, may I ask who exactly is in this draft?

22 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

You think he'll be taken over the likes of Senzel, Lewis, Groome? Or are you referring to a draft that doesn't include those guys? If that's the case, may I ask who exactly is in this draft?

Personally, I don't think a high-floor, mid-ceiling guy like Senzel should go ahead of Maitan in fantasy drafts for teams that need to rebuild. But winning teams, if drafting high enough, would probably feel safer picking Senzel - but not me, I'd take the highest-ceiling guy (without any known character concerns) and potentially flip him, if need be, to a team that does value the higher ceiling for guys that are more developed and closer to making an impact.

Lewis and Groome, on the other hand, are certainly up there and the more likely option to draft before Maitan since we still have less data, in comparison, about Maitan.

Edited by txrngr34

2 minutes ago, txrngr34 said:

Personally, I don't think a high-floor, mid-ceiling guy like Senzel should go ahead of Maitan in fantasy drafts for teams that need to rebuild. But winning teams, if drafting high enough, would probably feel safer picking Senzel - but not me, I'd take the highest-ceiling guy (without any known character concerns) and potentially flip him, if need be, to a team that does value the higher ceiling for guys that are more developed and closer to making an impact.

Lewis and Groome, on the other hand, are certainly up there and the more likely option to draft before Maitan since we still have less data, in comparison, about Maitan.

I think you're seriously underestimating Senzel's upside. He could be a 20-20 third baseman with a great average.

The only reason to say Maitan has more upside is because we know so little about him

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

I think you're seriously underestimating Senzel's upside. He could be a 20-20 third baseman with a great average.

The only reason to say Maitan has more upside is because we know so little about him

I agree, I'm not sure why people aren't more excited about Nick Senzel. This kid is special. As much as I like Kyle Lewis and Nolan Jones, Senzel is hands down the best hitter from this year's draft. Well definitely college wise. I'm probably a little higher on H.S. Alex Kirillof overall but Nick Senzel is the man. 

I'm very high on Kevin Maitan. Hes oozing with potential. But I'm gonna have to see him play with my own eyes. At the moment, Vlad Guerrero Jr. is a safer bet to me because Ive seen what he can do at such a young age. Anyways, deff can't wait to see Maitan in the RK league this year. 

22 hours ago, txrngr34 said:

What exactly makes you believe Maitan has a higher ceiling? What makes you believe Senzel is a "mid-ceiling" guy?

• Like 1

I cashed in on early hype and sold for Lance Lynn in a dynasty league.

Entirely possible that 6 months from now I'll look like a fool because Maitan hype starts going supernova. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2016 at 5:32 AM, mysonx3 said:

Yes I do, and I know that's the way it will go in my keeper league prospect draft this offseason as my buddy told me who he's taking. I don't think it's a great draft crop this year, and Maitan has by far the most raw power imo and potential to hit for average.

44 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Yes I do, and I know that's the way it will go in my keeper league prospect draft this offseason as my buddy told me who he's taking. I don't think it's a great draft crop this year, and Maitan has by far the most raw power imo and potential to hit for average.

Yeah.. People in dynasty/keeper are mostly nuts anyways. You wanna forgore guys with legit ceilings who will be in the majors in a year to 2 (Collins, Senzul) for a guy at best case 5 Years out.  Be my guest.

• Like 1