NYR Fan 116894

Kevin Maitan - SS LAA

Worth noting the Braves have a history of being aggressive with promotions.  Acuna didn't play in the DSL at all came straight state side to the GCL and spent time in the Appy his 1st season. Albies was a fast mover too.  Maitan might get up to double-A as early as 2019.  Assuming he performs of course. 

On 12/13/2016 at 0:42 AM, fawkes_mulder said:

I cashed in on early hype and sold for Lance Lynn in a dynasty league.

Entirely possible that 6 months from now I'll look like a fool because Maitan hype starts going supernova. 

Yeah but even if he's as good as they say he is he is still a very long ways away from the majors.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Yeah but even if he's as good as they say he is he is still a very long ways away from the majors.

Oh absolutely. That's why I did the trade. I'm trying to defend my 2016 championship with another one in 2017.

I think Maitan is the hardest guy in the minors to rank. Reports on his ability are all over the place and he's super young.

The unknowns just make him really hard to compare to other minor leaguers. I think he's very intriguing and some reports have me really excited to see how he transitions into American baseball.

On 12/13/2016 at 0:43 PM, Slatykamora said:

Yeah.. People in dynasty/keeper are mostly nuts anyways. You wanna forgore guys with legit ceilings who will be in the majors in a year to 2 (Collins, Senzul) for a guy at best case 5 Years out.  Be my guest.

No in keepers leagues like mine you are looking for upside, as solidly average players don't provide much future value in these and can be drafted cheaply. You are always aiming for the moon, which is why mighty upside like Maitan goes first.

9 hours ago, swfcdan said:

No in keepers leagues like mine you are looking for upside, as solidly average players don't provide much future value in these and can be drafted cheaply. You are always aiming for the moon, which is why mighty upside like Maitan goes first.

I would think using a keeper slot. The more years w/o production, the more opportunity cost. So I'm going to still dis-agree with that. Either you are under-estimating Collins, Nicks upside or overselling Matain's realistic upside..

Edited by Slatykamora

12 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

I would think using a keeper slot. The more years w/o production, the more opportunity cost. So I'm going to still dis-agree with that. Either you are under-estimating Collins, Nicks upside or overselling Matain's realistic upside..

I'm assuming he's referring to a keeper league with an additional farm system

• Like 1

On 12/12/2016 at 8:59 PM, jspeco9 said:

What exactly makes you believe Maitan has a higher ceiling? What makes you believe Senzel is a "mid-ceiling" guy?

I'm no scout. I'm just another forum guy expressing his opinion to gauge others' views on certain topics.

I'm simply going off what little we have in the way of articles and scouting reports. Maitan's said to be very advanced for his age already with 60-grade raw power as a then 15-year-old. The fact that most scouts/writers think he's the best J2 prospect in 7 years also says a lot.

Everything I've read and seen of Senzel says he's more likely to be a 15/15 guy in the majors - which certainly isn't bad but doesn't quite scream 1st overall pick in a dynasty draft. Most reports have him as a high-floor, mid-ceiling guy - a high probability to be a good MLB contributor. And while he's flashing 20-homer power in a league where he's the league-average age, he's an advanced college bat in a league full of raw talent. I'd like to see how he does at AA before saying he'll be an all-star kind of talent.

But hey, at least we have a pro sample size of Senzel's to work with - yes. He is the safer bet which I mentioned already. I know for every Dustin Ackley there are HS and J2 guys that fail too - but none of them (other than Miguel Sano) carried the scouts' praises like Maitan.

If I have a dynasty team that isn't competing for a title now but could be in a year or two - I can see taking Senzel. But I wouldn't take Senzel over Maitan when I'm already winning and have young talent that should allow me to keep winning for the foreseeable future. I feel it's a better gamble for me to go with a rare talent than a solid one - in large part because it'll be 4-5 years before he makes an impact but when he does it's a potentially huge impact. It's a classic high-reward/high-risk pick - except I've read enough to feel Maitan is high-reward/mid-risk.

I don't think that's how everyone should draft, though (disclaimer, in case it wasn't clear in my first post).

• Like 1

I apologize if this has already been said, but where does this kid rank up against Moncada? Moncada got what, 8x the amount of money? Is Maitan not even comparable to Moncada? Again I'm sorry if its already been said I looked through the whole thing but I probably missed something.

We've all got high hopes for the kid.  But I have to admit I'm very close to going the fawkes route and cashing in on him now just to secure the next few years.  I doubt he "busts" but if he puts up pedestrian numbers (which he is two years younger than the guys he'll be playing against) his value could dip quite a bit.

Edited by FouLLine

the balance, the frame, the approach. 

it's easy to see why scouts are drooling.

in a deep dynasty with special slots, I'd be all over this dude. 

In a more traditional keeper with slots, it's too early.

the Miggy/Chipper Jones comparisons are warranted. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1

Just nabbed this kid in my main dynasty league. So hyped to watch him grow and see exactly what we have here 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 9:16 AM, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Just nabbed this kid in my main dynasty league. So hyped to watch him grow and see exactly what we have here 

Being so young and a switch hitter don't expect him to set rookie ball on fire.  But if he does watch out!  Pretty sure he's advanced enough to where he'll be stateside and not in The DSL where the competition is much lower than the states.

I boarded the hype train as well, picking him ahead of Gleyber and Moniak in my farm draft. I boarded the Urias hype train before it started (I had him on my farm when he was 16) and that worked out well. Obviously we need to see some game time, but scouts have been hyping him as an advanced approach, plus power, plus hit, and passable speed. The Braves usually do pretty well with hitting prospects, so it'll be interesting to see how he fares this year.

Excited, yes...till the realization sets in that it'll be 3-4 years.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, truballa227 said:

Does anyone know when his milb season will start? Dying to see this kid out there.

Assuming he's playing SS ball, I think the start date is June 19th off the top of my head. Also depends what team they put him on.. but most likely late June!

5 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

Assuming he's playing SS ball, I think the start date is June 19th off the top of my head. Also depends what team they put him on.. but most likely late June!

He's currently in extended spring training but he'll start in rookie ball once the season kicks up in June.  SS or shortseason is low A if Maitan is good enough to compete in low A at 17 he needs to be the #1 prospect already.  Which he can't be cause I give those honors to Vlad Guerrero Jr !!

21 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

He's currently in extended spring training but he'll start in rookie ball once the season kicks up in June.  SS or shortseason is low A if Maitan is good enough to compete in low A at 17 he needs to be the #1 prospect already.  Which he can't be cause I give those honors to Vlad Guerrero Jr !!

Short-season ball can be anything from ROK-DSL to Short season A ball.. that's why I said "It depends what team they put him on". 

Edited by JenksDodger

5 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

Short-season ball can be anything from ROK-DSL to Short season A ball.. that's why I said "It depends what team they put him on". 

Yes technically rookie ball is also a shorter season as well.  But generally when people refer to short season ball they are talking about low A The NY Penn or Northwest League.  Notice even on milb.com they don't put short season next to any level of rookie ball just low A.

Either way I think Maitan if he's as good as they say should be better than DSL ball (lowest level of rookie ball).  Probably debuts in the GCL depending on where he's at in the next few months.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 6:00 AM, txrngr34 said:

Everything I've read and seen of Senzel says he's more likely to be a 15/15 guy in the majors -

Zack Cozart is a 15+ homer guy at GAB... I'd grade Senzel as having substantially more pop. I'd guess his prime will be more around 22-25 homers, with nice counting stats, solid (but not outstanding) peripherals, and a plentiful helping of steals. I see a lot of star potential with him. Not a 1st round pick (in fantasy redrafts) level talent, but a "prime Adam Jones" kind of value, perhaps better. Maybe a hybrid of Jones and A.J. Pollock?? 

As for Maitan, I understand the Chipper/Miggy comps... but man, that's a ton of pressure to put on the guy. If he becomes the new Harold Baines that will be a great success in my book. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

17 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

This guy going to be playing anytime soon?

Yeah very soon ... Draft is June 12th rookie ball will start a few weeks later.

The Dominican Summer League just started and I haven't heard word of him going there.  He's actually already stateside in extended spring training.

I want to say (it's been awhile since I've looked into this so I may be off a bit)

Pioneer League:  Starts June 19th

Appalachian League:  Starts June 22nd

Arizona League:  Starts June 24th 

Gulf Coast League:  Starts June 26th

With how young Maitan is I doubt The Braves start him in The Appalachian League... So I'd imagine he would see his first rookie ball action in The GCL.  

• Like 2

Was kind of expecting an update on where he will be playing by now.... Anyone hear anything on this?