kidtwentytwo

Amir Garrett - SP CIN

This guy is kinda a stud. Huge strides with his command this year. Low mileage on the arm. Former basketball player and a great athlete. Striking guys out, limiting walks, I like this guy a lot.

Reds are loaded with young talent but I think he will prevail as a mainstay in the rotation as soon as next year. Maybe he gets a shot this year too.

Another great outing last night for Garrett..

6.2IP, 4H, 1ER, 2BB, 7K

For the season:

3-3, 1.4ERA, 54.1IP, .205 average against, 1.07WHIP..

I wouldn't be surprised to see a promotion to Louisville soon.. He's been one of the best pitchers in all of minor leagues over the last season and a half.

• Like 1

Struggled with control a bit tonight..

6IP, 2H, 3ER, 4BB, 7K

Season ERA 1.79 and 61K in 60IP

• Like 1

I really like Garrett and I hope he gets a shot this year but I don't think he will. i think they would call up Stephenson or Reed before him. Looks like he could be a high end #3/#2 starter if it all comes together. I read he may have some "wobbly" ratios but he could strikeout 200 batters per season. I like him more then Reed at this point.

I agree, I just don't think there will be room for Garrett this season. Not only is Stephenson and Reed ahead of him, but they also have a boatload of arms on the DL that should be activated at some point this season (hopefully)...ie Iglesias, Bailey, DeSclafani, Moscot, Lorenzen (may go to the pen) and even though the Reds are rebuilding and downright painful at times to watch, I just don't think there is a spot for him this season in Cincy...

Good start last night..

I think he's making a case to be a top 40 prospect next year, given he doesn't lose his prospect eligibility.

6IP, 3H, 0ER, 2BB, 6SO

1.63ERA, and a 1.04WHIP... Hitters are hitting .191 against him..

May be time for AAA

I think the only thing keeping him at AA right now is the rotation at AAA is likely full. Once Stephenson and/or Reed get called up, he should make the trip to AAA.

On 6/7/2016 at 7:39 AM, JenksDodger said:

Good start last night.. 

I think he's making a case to be a top 40 prospect next year, given he doesn't lose his prospect eligibility. 

6IP, 3H, 0ER, 2BB, 6SO 

1.63ERA, and a 1.04WHIP... Hitters are hitting .191 against him..

May be time for AAA

Maybe age keeps him back, but I'm thinking top 25 if he continues to be this dominant.....

natural athlete, former bball player at St. John's, limited miles on his arm, getting better every year, already a t75 prospect and improving.

lot to like here. Cincy is stacked with arms but I think Garrett will force the issue sooner or later.

5IP, 3H, 1ER, 1BB, 3K didn't start the game because Rasiel Iglasies threw 2IP on a rehab assignment but another solid outing.. 

Another solid outing yesterday - 5 2/3 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 8 K

I'm guessing he gets to AAA after his league's all-star break then gets a cup of coffee in September. 

Edited by overkill94

His upside might be just as high or even higher than Cody Reed's. Reds have so many pitching prospects, it is nuts.

Sucks for Iglesias owners though, who would have thought he'd head to the pen?

I think the chances of Garrett getting called up are getting better as the season progresses. it's definitely not a lock but he is pitching well and if he can keep it up at AAA then I think the Reds will give him a shot , even if it's in September.  There are other arms ahead of him but I think he will get there.  A month ago I thought no way would he be up but now I think he Has a 30%-35% chance. 

a snippet of an article I read: 

The fact that the Super Two deadline has passed and the Reds are in a rebuilding year, expect the club to continue to call up their top prospects to develop at the big-league level. Robert Stephenson, Jesse Winker and Amir Garrett are names to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

Garrett will make his AAA debut tonight. This season he has a career best walk rate so he's been making great progress since he gave up basketball.  I also read that he is on the Reds 40 man roster. 

Not the best start but he was awesome through 5 innings. 

Here te is a blurb from the baseball America daily prospect report email:

Amir Garrett, lhp, Reds. The big lefthander had a line similar to Glasnow. He was near-unhittable in his Triple-A debut for Louisville, but walked six, including three in a row in the sixth inning as he tired. He was charged with four runs, but that was after pitching one-hit ball through five innings. Garrett has premium stuff, but like Glasnow, his long levers can cause his command to waver.

Edited by Under500Forever
  • Like 1

Cincinnati's No. 4 prospect scattered four hits and a pair of walks over seven scoreless innings Monday as Triple-A Louisville fell to Buffalo, 3-1, at Louisville Slugger Field. He struck out five

MLB.com's No. 61 overall prospect said he felt a lot better coming into Monday's game.

"My mechanics were way better," Garrett said. "My first game I pitched last week, I was very amped up and I was all over the place. I was able to fix my mechanics and go back to what I usually do. I was able to mix my pitches really well today -- fastball, changeup, slider, sinker. It was one of those days where everything was working."

• Like 1

Am I missing something?  Looks like Henry Owens long lost brother.  Just based on surface stats.  Minor leaguers who have horrible command are not usually instant contributors to us in fantasy.

34 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Am I missing something?  Looks like Henry Owens long lost brother.  Just based on surface stats.  Minor leaguers who have horrible command are not usually instant contributors to us in fantasy.

Yeah I would saying you are sure are missing something then. Amir has been more dominate this year across every counting stat. His walks to punch outs last season were 55:133. While it isn't kershaw like, I wouldnt put it the same as Owens current 49:64. 

Edited by exzacly909

8 minutes ago, exzacly909 said:

Yeah I would saying you are sure are missing something then. Amir has been more dominate this year across every counting stat. His walks to punch outs last season were 55:133. While it isn't kershaw like, I wouldnt put it the same as Owens current 49:64. 

Minor league BB rates are damn near identical.  Reading Garrett's scouting report looks like that big frame leads to inconsistencies in repeating his delivery which likely causes bouts of wildness.  Probably pretty similar with what we have seen from Adam Conley this year.  Looks like some nice potential here with Garrett but I would be surprised if he was a fantasy factor right away.  Looks like a guy who's going to be racking up big pitch counts early in games at the start of his career. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Minor league BB rates are damn near identical.  Reading Garrett's scouting report looks like that big frame leads to inconsistencies in repeating his delivery which likely causes bouts of wildness.  Probably pretty similar with what we have seen from Adam Conley this year.  Looks like some nice potential here with Garrett but I would be surprised if he was a fantasy factor right away.  Looks like a guy who's going to be racking up big pitch counts early in games at the start of his career. 

I love Garrett long-term, but agree with Cmilne here, that he won't be an instant fantasy contributor.. I think it will take him a year or two to really get going in the show due to control concerns.. but he definitely has the ceiling of a #2 starter.. 

1 hour ago, JenksDodger said:

I love Garrett long-term, but agree with Cmilne here, that he won't be an instant fantasy contributor.. I think it will take him a year or two to really get going in the show due to control concerns.. but he definitely has the ceiling of a #2 starter.. 

That's fair. I don't view it that way myself. Amir comes from a unique path with his basketball career and I know as all young pitchers is refining command. Yes I get that he is taller, lanky and lefty. Overall, I just don't see the comparison skill set & ceiling wise.

I don't claim to be a baseball scout by any stretch of the imagination, but I have watched a ton of both Owens and Amir and to me what Amir has evolved into this last season and half projects much greater than Owens. The overall stuff between the two isn't even close to me from the eye ball test. At his best he has looked very David price light 

• Like 1