tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

Just own up to your bad take, dude. Happens to the best of us.

btw before we discuss the possibility of Reed coming up maybe we should take a gander at the Astros 2012 offensive statistics while we're at it. Could be salient in determining whether or not it's worth calling him up, imo

I didnt have a bad take. Grow up.

200w.gif

• Like 6

IMO Correa is irrelevant as going into last year he the highest level he played was A+, he started the season making his debut in AA.

Meanwhile, AJ Reed has 53 AA games under his belt from last year, and started this season by making his debut in AAA.

Reed is also 3 years older than Correa was last year (23 v 20) and played college ball.

The one thing in common that I see is the Astros philosophy. We saw it with Springer to an extreme. They are dug into Super 2 unless someone with power in that front office bucks the trend, which is unlikely.

I think everyone agrees that competitively, he should be up now, however, realistically the Astros front office is likely dug into their philosophy to hold him down until Super 2.

• Like 1

Evan Gattis sent to minors to work on playing catcher. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Evan Gattis sent to minors to work on playing catcher. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Astros are trying to get Tucker AB's?

I own Reed and just not getting my hopes up. There are a few possibilities and making room for Reed could be one of them.....I just doubt it at this time.

Edited by scoh123

I realize the Astros are playing poorly, and understand the excitement that dynasty owners have for getting Reed up to the majors, but the guy is still struggling in AAA. If he can't figure out AAA pitching right now, he's not going to have success in the big leagues either. I like Reed, but there's no reason for the Astros to rush him when he's not ready for it, and so far he's showing that he isn't quite yet.

I realize the Astros are playing poorly, and understand the excitement that dynasty owners have for getting Reed up to the majors, but the guy is still struggling in AAA. If he can't figure out AAA pitching right now, he's not going to have success in the big leagues either. I like Reed, but there's no reason for the Astros to rush him when he's not ready for it, and so far he's showing that he isn't quite yet.

You're making your decision on the the false assumption that he is struggling in AAA.

His BB% and K% are right at career norms. His ISO is sitting at a solid .267. The only thing down is his batting average which is fueled by a career low BABIP. Literally the only thing going wrong is bad luck on balls in play and that doesn't warrant "struggling" talk.

"If he can't figure out AAA pitchhing right now"...........? It's almost like you don't there there are numbers out there that where we can check his walk rate and strikeout rate.

• Like 2

I sincerely doubt that Reed is getting anything to hit right now. And I'm equally sure he's pressing a bit. But I haven't watched his games.

Putting Gattis in as catcher means they want more offensive options. Gattis is not a defensive catcher, and that's the spot where you want a safe glove and arm if you're worried about defense. That being the case, it makes sense that they're clearing up the DH/1B spot for someone to come up, not to give their catcher a break.

It could very well be Singleton, from a financial standpoint. I'm sure Singleton was given things to work on when he was sent down. They need pitching - a trade makes sense, Maybe they feel the need to showcase Singleton for a while? I hope not.

Did it say how long he'll be working on it?

He'll be called up around the time Correa was called up. Why would they rush him when they didn't Correa? I think they are gunning for the playoffs this year still but dem nerds love to optimize their projected output.

Around June 10th.

Yeah sir, I have to agree with Absknicks. You have absolutely no idea what the hell your talking about.

Sorry....just saying

Thanks for just saying, rather than really saying.

The super two cut-off for Reed is around June 10th. Correa was brought up around June 10th. I know your fantasy team desires generally takes precedence over real baseball moves, but I'm just going off the information in front of me. Those two pieces of information are hardly nothing.

I drafted Reed in the off chance he was given the job out of ST and in case there is an early call-up. None of the baseball savants here are likely to ask, but if you want Reed, you better have him on your team now. The big sites are going to start touting him to pick him up. Razzball just had him in their buy column saying "he'll be over 50% by June".

I think you should stick to calling yourself an idiot rather than making absolute comments (see post history).

• Like 1

This article speculates the corresponding move is activating Sipp from paternity leave and Gattis down not much longer than the 10 days required.

http://m.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-option-Evan-Gattis-to-Corpus-Christi-to-7418213.php

Seems nothing imminent for Reed.

The guy is top 10 in Pacific Coast League in homers, RBI and walks. That said, I'm sure he would tell you there's some things he needs to figure out to get better, as would any hitter, but let's not act like he's overwhelmed by AAA pitching either.

Point was it's absolutely comical to suggest that because their offensive numbers are identical to last year that it wouldn't be worth upgrading their lineup in 2016.

"Hey we've got this kid who mashes at AAA... but turns out our OPS+ is actually right in line with 2015 so why bother?"

Seriously? That's one of the craziest takes I've seen on here.

But he isn't mashing at AAA. LOL

10 days to 2 weeks, if all goes to plan. I doubt this affects Reed all that much. Plan is to use Gattis as a backup C or as a 50/50 split, at best.

Reed will be up after super 2, as most have suggested. As long as his hitting progresses. It only makes too much sense at this point

Point was it's absolutely comical to suggest that because their offensive numbers are identical to last year that it wouldn't be worth upgrading their lineup in 2016.

"Hey we've got this kid who mashes at AAA... but turns out our OPS+ is actually right in line with 2015 so why bother?"

Aside from Batting Average, he is. His low BA is fueled by a career low BABIP. He's closer to "mashing" than he is to "struggling".

• Like 1

Aside from Batting Average, he is. His low BA is fueled by a career low BABIP. He's closer to "mashing" than he is to "struggling".

I never said he was struggling. He isn't mashing either. K's are pretty bad too, along with BA. He is doing well. No need to rush up. He is a super 2 call up, at the earliest.

He is in the PCL, none of his stats really stand out. .339/.480/.819. not great for PCL. 16 walks in 26 games is really top 10? Seems really odd. Saying his stats are "top 10" doesn't really scream a call up to me. He seems to need a little more seasoning.

BABIP is one of the most meaningless stats. To me it means he isn't hitting the ball hard enough

Edited by rperricone

BABIP is one of the most meaningless stats. To me it means he isn't hitting the ball hard enough

Have you watched the games?

I'm talking in general. BABIP is meaningless. Case by case it could mean something. In general, it's meaningless.

so tomorrow he hits 4 balls all for singles. Does that mean he was lucky? Dumb, meaningless stat. I pay zero attention, and I do quite well, thank you. Unless your league counts BABIP?

WAR is most meaningless, for fantasy. BABIP might be second

Edited by rperricone

I'm talking in general. BABIP is meaningless. Case by case it could mean something. In general, it's meaningless.

so tomorrow he hits 4 balls all for singles. Does that mean he was lucky? Dumb, meaningless stat. I pay zero attention, and I do quite well, thank you. Unless your league counts BABIP?

WAR is most meaningless, for fantasy. BABIP might be second

I misread some posts above but I'm just gonna leave this here anyway. I don't think you said he struggled as much as I initially thought you had. I will say, he coudl be unlucky.

BABIP is less meaningless to me than someone who claims he's not hitting the ball hard despite never watching him play. I mean I dont' mean to call you out but you made a direct claim about how he was playing (lack of hard hit) with LITERALLY nothing to support this position. Not an eye test. Not an AB you saw. Not a statistical overlay that you saw. If you had seen the games I'd buy in to what you're saying.

The fact of the matter is that BABIP is meaningful in certain scenarios. Most of the times people over rate high and low BABIP, but there are FACTUALLY outliers. I'm not saying Reed is one, but you can't say that his YTD performance ISN"T one. Danny Santana didn't have a .400 BABIP in 2014 because he became a hard hitter. He just got lucky. There are a certain number of cases like that each way. If you're not watching the games, you can't tell me you think he's chopping it out as opposed to lining it hard at people all the time. It's too small of a sample to where his BABIP could, not is, could be an anomaly.

The problem with BABIP is it's the culmination of results not skills. These results could be the result of skill, they could be luck. If you're not watching the game, dont' tell me you know which it is, because I sure as hell don't.

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

in a 12 team mixed, would you consider Reed a must-add at this point? Seems like the power should translate immediately to the pros.

Here a wild A.J. Reed can be seen in its natural habitat, launching a 96mph Matt Harvey fastball ≈ 410 feet.

I never said he was struggling. He isn't mashing either. K's are pretty bad too, along with BA. He is doing well. No need to rush up. He is a super 2 call up, at the earliest.

He is in the PCL, none of his stats really stand out. .339/.480/.819. not great for PCL. 16 walks in 26 games is really top 10? Seems really odd. Saying his stats are "top 10" doesn't really scream a call up to me. He seems to need a little more seasoning.

He's got 17 walks in 26 games and yes that's top 10 and no that's not odd.

I guess I agree that I wouldn't call what he's doing mashing. But it's doing pretty darn good. He's clearly producing as a power hitter should. His pace would put him over 30 homers and 100 RBI in a full season. You need him to be on a 50 homers pace to deserve a call-up?

I also can see how the extra seasoning could do him some good.

But he might produce better surrounded my big league hitters instead of being the most feared guy in the lineup.

Edited by ryno1980
  • Like 2

0 for 5 today

in 33 may plate appearances reed is now hitting .133 with one home run and three walks, one of which was intentional

whatever else it may or may not mean, it's pretty undeniable that he is not currently hot in any way

AAA is an entire level of the minor leagues that he has never played at before. it is possible that it could take him more than three weeks of games to master it

Yeah, I cut bait in a redraft due to the recent slump. Looks like mid-June at best now.

0 for 5 today

in 33 may plate appearances reed is now hitting .133 with one home run and three walks, one of which was intentional

whatever else it may or may not mean, it's pretty undeniable that he is not currently hot in any way

AAA is an entire level of the minor leagues that he has never played at before. it is possible that it could take him more than three weeks of games to master it

27 games in three weeks?