Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pierce34

Robert Covington 2015-2016 Season Outlook

You guys think he can maintain his 27-28 mins from last year? Has looked good in preseason. But what's all this talk about him having a lesser role? Jerami Grant pushing him for mins, he won't see time at the 4 no more because of Noel's lineup switch at pf etc... I really like his 3ptm and stls, but is his role solidified this year for at least 27 mins?

14 points, 3 threes, 5 rebounds and 1 steal in 9 minutes

covington can pull these numbers on any given night but disapears in some so risk/reward with him I had him last season and was happy with his production

Who else was in the lineup?

Who else was in the lineup?

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400830054

Grant/Okafor

Canaan/Sampson

It seems he finished cold though. He did finish with 5 steals in 22 min.

Edit: lmfao. wow, i thought the game was done. 4th Q left still. :D:lol:

I guarantee this guy is going to be a top-40 guy.

Look at Ariza's numbers. Look at Convington's numbers.

Nearly identical, except with Covington you're probably going to key a few more 3's and steals.

Nearly identical, except with Covington you're probably going to key a few more 3's and steals.

I'm keeping him along with J-Teague and Gorgui, can't wait.

Should be one of the best sleepers this season, but disagree about the steals. Ariza will get more. And he has Lawson and harden as guards, better looks for treys compared to Canaan and Stauskas/Thompson

I'm keeping him along with J-Teague and Gorgui, can't wait.

Should be one of the best sleepers this season, but disagree about the steals. Ariza will get more. And he has Lawson and harden as guards, better looks for treys compared to Canaan and Stauskas/Thompson

I think in competitive leagues he won't go pass 7th round, but could be wrong. The guy is pretty good just a bit inconsistent

This dude went for $22 in my auction yesterday. Good thing I got Ariza for $21 before hand. However I was looking to get both and flopped. I thought he FG% could possible go up but it seems to be trending the same this preseason.

Basically Ariza at a discount except Brett Brown will find a way to screw this guy over. Pathetic.

So if Ariza is a top 40-50 guy, is it too soon to draft Lord Covington same round if you miss out on the former? (Rd 4 seems a bit early to me..) Or where would you draft Cov?

So if Ariza is a top 40-50 guy, is it too soon to draft Lord Covington same round if you miss out on the former? (Rd 4 seems a bit early to me..) Or where would you draft Cov?

Covington was D-league to start last season, and the year before that he only played 7 games. Ariza's had 1.5+ steals for several years now and when he had John Wall, his FG spiked, and I'm betting that it will again with Ty. Plus Covington's role isn't 100% clear imo.. Yes the Sixers need outside shooting but you never know about Brown's rotations or decisions

I actually have both on my first team I drafted this year, Ariza at #48 (4th round) and Covington at a whopping #104 (8th round) which I think is an absolute steal, 14-team 9-cat H2H. Between the two of them my FG is in jeopardy but I can't complain at the price I paid for either

I wouldn't draft Ariza nor Covington in the 4th round. Ariza might be top 40-50 but that doesn't make him a top 40-50 value. In the top 5 rounds you should still try to acquire big men, point guards, or elite SG/SF that can get assists. 3&D role players like Ariza, although elite, are quite replaceable in later rounds and FA.

I wouldn't draft Ariza nor Covington in the 4th round. Ariza might be top 40-50 but that doesn't make him a top 40-50 value. In the top 5 rounds you should still try to acquire big men, point guards, or elite SG/SF that can get assists. 3&D role players like Ariza, although elite, are quite replaceable in later rounds and FA.

I don't understand how top 50 isn't top 50 value. Aren't they the same idea?

And I tend to disagree. You just said elite players can be replaced in later rounds and FA. That doesn't really make sense to me. Where can you find a player nearing 2 steals and 2 threes after the 5th round, let alone on the wire, besides Covington?

Yes you should be able to find 3/D role players in the late-mid rounds, but players that have similar stats tend to be in the same bubble when it comes to drafts.

guy is going to have a great year...really wanted him in my draft, but I didn't get him

Someone dropped him in my 10 team 8 cat league and I snatched him up quick. I owned him last year, if you need 3's and steals he'll provide plenty.

Someone dropped him in my 10 team 8 cat league and I snatched him up quick. I owned him last year, if you need 3's and steals he'll provide plenty.

That is an embarrassing league.

This guy has potential to be a top 3 asset in threes and steals.

And I tend to disagree. You just said elite players can be replaced in later rounds and FA. That doesn't really make sense to me. Where can you find a player nearing 2 steals and 2 threes after the 5th round, let alone on the wire, besides Covington?

Yes you should be able to find 3/D role players in the late-mid rounds, but players that have similar stats tend to be in the same bubble when it comes to drafts.

The idea of top 50 performance doesn't equate top 50 value is that value is consisted of not just performance, but also relatively scarcity. Think of fantasy football: the #20 QB will have more fantasy points than the #1 RB but you won't draft the #20 QB over the #1 RB. This is the reason why PGs and big men that can block are ranked higher - assists and blocks are hardest to come by.

Let's just say that you take Ariza in the 5th round, which a lot of people are doing since his ADP on Yahoo is 47.5, you are then passing up on PGs like Teague, Dragic, and Monta Ellis. When you get to round 8 or 9, if you want to pick up a PG the best available options are guys like Jarrett Jack and Tony Parker. However, if you went with a PG in that 5th round, your 3&D role player options are plentiful: Eric Gordon, JR Smith, Wilson Chandler. Even in the 10-12th rounds you can find guys like Otto Porter, Ben McLemore, Jeff Green.

The idea of top 50 performance doesn't equate top 50 value is that value is consisted of not just performance, but also relatively scarcity. Think of fantasy football: the #20 QB will have more fantasy points than the #1 RB but you won't draft the #20 QB over the #1 RB. This is the reason why PGs and big men that can block are ranked higher - assists and blocks are hardest to come by.

Let's just say that you take Ariza in the 5th round, which a lot of people are doing since his ADP on Yahoo is 47.5, you are then passing up on PGs like Teague, Dragic, and Monta Ellis. When you get to round 8 or 9, if you want to pick up a PG the best available options are guys like Jarrett Jack and Tony Parker. However, if you went with a PG in that 5th round, your 3&D role player options are plentiful: Eric Gordon, JR Smith, Wilson Chandler. Even in the 10-12th rounds you can find guys like Otto Porter, Ben McLemore, Jeff Green.

It's true the drop off in SFs is less than that of valuable PGs. I guess it really depends on how you want to build your team.

I haven't really been in mocks this season, but I always saw Teague going in the 3rd round. My last draft, looking back on it, I could have had both teague and Ariza, but opted for dipo then later Ariza, and punted assists.

I'm also confident that Ariza will be a great bet to be a 3/STL "anchor" (for lack of better words), obviously outside top 25

What if you got like a Westbrook or Lillard in the first round and PG of Dipo in the second? Then you would punt FG%\TO and Ariza would definitely be worth the 4th/5th round pick

Covington has to be the go-to shooter. stauskas is unproven at this point albeit having the potential. noel is not a natural scorer. okafor has presence down low but he needs someone to kick out when he gets double teamed.

Does Philly have a new HC? I know last season Covington was jerked around with his PT.

Trying to rank Covington vs Beal vs E.Gordon

Nope Coach Brown still

Does he slot the 2 in ESPN fantasy? Still unsure if they've updated the player positions...

Yep. PF/SF.