Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dazed

Draft Strategy for 8 Team Leagues? | 100% WHIR

So, I know 8 team leagues arent very popular, but for those who do play in them, can you give any advice in how to draft in them? Since its a shallow league, I would think starters are more valuable to draft early than depth. In an earlier post, people suggested taking Gronk with my first round pick, since he is far and away the best player at his position. I just dont know if I can bring myself to draft Gronk so early.

I really considered going with Gronk in the first, and Rodgers in the 2nd, to immediately have two best players at their positions. That would make for possibly a L. Miller or F. Gore, and J. Stewart or L. Murray as my backfield, and A. Green, Cobb or Jeffery, and J. Matthews or B. Cooks as my receivers.

That doesnt sound too bad, but my wrs and rbs would be considerably weaker than all of the other teams.

Can you guys please give me some tips on drafting in smaller leagues? Is focusing on starters over depth more important?

Thanks! And as usual, 100% WHIR

Don't go in with the mindset of getting this guy or that guy. I'm a big BPA guy. In an 8 team league, you need to get a guy that is the best at his position though. So make sure you get Brown, Gronk, or Rodgers in the first. If one of those is still there in the second, I'd take them too. If there is a run on a position, let everyone else scramble for it, go opposite. Depending on the experience of your league, the younger guys could very easily just draft what's being drafted in front of them thinking they need to get this position in round 4 or that position in round 7. The best drafts I've had are where I don't think and just draft the top for the first 5-7 rounds. But if Rodgers is still there in the second, definitely take him. Doing so could easily set off a run at QBs and by the time you get your third pick, there is still value on the board. 8 team draft is a mind game. Get people to scramble and you will do great. Most drafts have a comment board. If there is a run starting on RBs, just say, "I hope there are good RBs by my pick." It will help you get a better WR with your next pick since people will reach. With 8 teams, most lineups will look good. The problem is try to get your good to be great.

I dont disagree with your first 2 picks (Gronk and Rodgers) because you (arguably I guess) are locking up the best players at those 2 positions. Since it's only 8 teams drafting you have a much higher chance of getting some better players at RB & WR later on. After Gronk and Rodgers I'd probably go RB since it seems there's a scarcity of decent guys to choose from. I'm sure with only 8 teams you'd be able to get somewhere near your choice of guys you were considering anyway. Good luck.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=527698

Thanks guys, Bump! I could use as much advice as possible.