Rotoworld.com Forums

2016 Offseason Closers Thread

Impeccable

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warning: errors below for sure. I'm just trying to set up a base here since just reading a list of names is a little disorganized. Could be wrong on some and don't know about others or contract situations but maybe use this as a launch pad? My guesses only going into the off season.

AL East

Toronto - Roberto Osuna (no need to change a guy who has stepped up like Osuna)

New York - Andrew Miller again with Bellances backing

Baltimore - Zach Britton, he's had two great years so far

Boston - Koji is under contract for one last year

Tampa Bay - ??? (ideas? does Boxberger remain in place?)

AL Central

Kansas City - Wade Davis, they can fill in behind him in the off season but can't get a better closer in the market then him.

Cleveland - Cody Allen. After a shakey start to the season he got it together.

Chicago - David Robertson

Minnesota - Glen Perkins their beloved vet to start the season but given his health issues may not make it all the way through. (Jepsen in the wings?)

Detriot - hahahahahahahahahahahaha ... who knows. Maybe they will re-sign Soria. They certainly could do far worse ... and have. (Anyone think Bruce Rondon is remotely allowed any redemption next season cause I don't).

AL West

Texas - Shawn Tollenson - just like Osuna he has become a savior to his team and no need to look elsewhere

Los Angeles Angels - Houston Street unless his contract says otherwise, one of those I don't know the contract on

Houston - Luke Gregerson now, don't know about his contract or anything for next year??

Seattle - Tom Wilhelmsen going into the off season, no idea who next season???

Oakland - ????? Sean Doolittle comeback maybe ????

NL East

New York - Familia one of the best surprises of 2015 and was just as important as any of their more famous young stud starters to this season.

Washington - You paid for Paps, you are stuck with him and his screwy contract. (Storen departs to regain his dignity elsewhere maybe?).

Philadelphia - Ken Giles has waited a long time for the gig, not giving it up.

Miami - Ramos again I assume, another guy I don't know his contract.

Atlanta - Vizcaino showed he can do it the few times Atlanta lead this season and if Grilli only had a contract for 2015 I don't see anyone challenging him for the role. He, like say Osuna, is part of the new wave of "youngster" closers.

NL Central

St Louis - Trevor Rosenthal likes his throne just fine.

Pittsburgh - Mark Melancon has a throne too (why couldn't he pitch like that when he was in Bosotn).

Chicago - Hector Rondon shows he deserves one to if Joe Maddon doesn't get too cute again.

Cincinnati - Okay was this Chapman's last year under contract or does he have another? (Again with the contracts already). Chapman closes somewhere for sure but if Cincy decides to go all in to re-build mode do they move him for young players? If so is Hoover next up?

Milwaukee - K-Rod's contract? Is he a free agent or what? If so who takes over.

NL West

Los Angeles - Kenley Jansen again, why not

San Francisco - Castilla started out strong, faded badly mid-season then sprinted nicely to the end. Which is to say that SF's once vaunted bullpen is showing it's age. Does Castilla at least start the season? Will they try and re-load in the off season?

San Diego - Craig Kimbrell unless they decide to dump his contract for yet another re-build.

Arizona - Brad Ziegler has done okay but again what about his contract? What about Daniel Hudson?

Colorado - Can John Axford actually end up the closer again? No one remotely thought he'd end up taking over this year. Cats have less lives. But if he is finally out who is in??????

I agree with GretzGretzky that Soria may well find a closer gig or at least a nice, fat contract to sit around somewhere on a top contender team as the closer-in-waiting. Is Chapman leaving in Cincy? If so he would be the biggest name in transit. Drew Storen could have a gig despite his meltdown after his undeserved demotion. Of course breaking your thumb slamming your hand on your own locker wasn't too wise of him I grant. Will K-Rod, Axford and Grilli even still stick around in baseball?

Then the whole issue of possible new closers. This was just about the old ones and I'll leave possible newly 2016 minted closers for other posts.

I wonder if Colome gets the closer gig in TB next year. Or do they try him in the rotation again?

Same with Trevor May in Minnesota. There was some talk he could be the closer of the future, but he also made some fine starts this year.

Carson Smith will likely get another shot at it in Seattle next season.

I'm curious to see what will happen to the closers who didn't start the season as closers but ended up doing a really nice job. Guys like Osuna, Tolleson, Ziegler, Wilhelmsen/Smith, Vizcaino.

When I look at the D'Backs, they could put Ziegler back in his old role but there's a huge risk giving his job to an unproven guy. Managers tend to stick to what is working for them and Ziegler has worked for them (28-for-30). I also wouldn't count out that the D'Backs are still going to try and trade for a closer. They were one of the teams that were most interested in Chapman.

I don't see any reason for Toronto, Texas and Atlanta to change closers. Seattle is going to be interesting. Do they view Smith as their future closer or not? He got some chances this season already and did pretty good.

I keep reading that this was going to be Casilla's last season as the closer in San Fran but he keeps getting the job done. They do have a good young guy in Strickland.

Tampa, Detroit and Oakland are question marks to me. I assume Detroit will just sign someone? Maybe Oakland will sign a veteran reliever and make him the closer? They've done it before. And who knows what Colorado will do. I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with The Ax Man.

I'm curious to see what will happen to the closers who didn't start the season as closers but ended up doing a really nice job. Guys like Osuna, Tolleson, Ziegler, Wilhelmsen/Smith, Vizcaino.

When I look at the D'Backs, they could put Ziegler back in his old role but there's a huge risk giving his job to an unproven guy. Managers tend to stick to what is working for them and Ziegler has worked for them (28-for-30). I also wouldn't count out that the D'Backs are still going to try and trade for a closer. They were one of the teams that were most interested in Chapman.

I don't see any reason for Toronto, Texas and Atlanta to change closers. Seattle is going to be interesting. Do they view Smith as their future closer or not? He got some chances this season already and did pretty good.

I keep reading that this was going to be Casilla's last season as the closer in San Fran but he keeps getting the job done. They do have a good young guy in Strickland.

Tampa, Detroit and Oakland are question marks to me. I assume Detroit will just sign someone? Maybe Oakland will sign a veteran reliever and make him the closer? They've done it before. And who knows what Colorado will do. I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with The Ax Man.

Random thoughts echoing much of what you said above -

Det - i see then them resigning Soria. Or trading for someone.

Ari - wouldn't be surprised if they traded for Chapman. Also wouldn't be surprised if they signed someone or traded for someone (Storen?)

Oakland - that's doolittle as long as he's healthy.

Seattle - I'm expecting a new manager so who knows. Probably an open comp between smith and the bartender

Atl - I'm picking up shae simmons in a deep league just in case

Sd - I'm picking up maurer in case they trade Kimbrel. Benoit is a free agent also

Mil - picking up jeffress in case the new gm moves krod

TB - that's mcgee if healthy or box in my mind

SF - rostering strickland

Col - probably will be Axe's job to lose. I won't be drafting him anyway

• 4 weeks later...

Detroit's window is closing as its core ages. They were so far out of contention this season that a rebuild is probably more in order, but given V-Mart, Miggy, and Verlander's ages, and their owner's, it's very possible they end up splurging on a closer.

Contract info on a few options noted above:

• K-Rod is signed thru 2016 with a 2017 $6M option / $4M buyout.
  • Street is signed thru 2017 with a 2018 $10M option / $1M buyout.
  • Gregerson is signed thru 2017.
  • Storen is arb eligible against his $5.7M base last season. Shame on the Nats if the Paps pickup was in part to blunt Storen's arb salary.
  • Axford is arb eligible against a $2.6M base.
  • Chapman is arb eligible against a $8.05M base.
  • Clippard is a FA, as is Soria.

Warning: errors below for sure. I'm just trying to set up a base here since just reading a list of names is a little disorganized. Could be wrong on some and don't know about others or contract situations but maybe use this as a launch pad? My guesses only going into the off season.

AL East

Toronto - Roberto Osuna (no need to change a guy who has stepped up like Osuna)

New York - Andrew Miller again with Bellances backing

Baltimore - Zach Britton, he's had two great years so far

Boston - Koji is under contract for one last year

Tampa Bay - ??? (ideas? does Boxberger remain in place?)

AL Central

Kansas City - Wade Davis, they can fill in behind him in the off season but can't get a better closer in the market then him.

Cleveland - Cody Allen. After a shakey start to the season he got it together.

Chicago - David Robertson

Minnesota - Glen Perkins their beloved vet to start the season but given his health issues may not make it all the way through. (Jepsen in the wings?)

Detriot - hahahahahahahahahahahaha ... who knows. Maybe they will re-sign Soria. They certainly could do far worse ... and have. (Anyone think Bruce Rondon is remotely allowed any redemption next season cause I don't).

AL West

Texas - Shawn Tollenson - just like Osuna he has become a savior to his team and no need to look elsewhere

Los Angeles Angels - Houston Street unless his contract says otherwise, one of those I don't know the contract on

Houston - Luke Gregerson now, don't know about his contract or anything for next year??

Seattle - Tom Wilhelmsen going into the off season, no idea who next season???

Oakland - ????? Sean Doolittle comeback maybe ????

NL East

New York - Familia one of the best surprises of 2015 and was just as important as any of their more famous young stud starters to this season.

Washington - You paid for Paps, you are stuck with him and his screwy contract. (Storen departs to regain his dignity elsewhere maybe?).

Philadelphia - Ken Giles has waited a long time for the gig, not giving it up.

Miami - Ramos again I assume, another guy I don't know his contract.

Atlanta - Vizcaino showed he can do it the few times Atlanta lead this season and if Grilli only had a contract for 2015 I don't see anyone challenging him for the role. He, like say Osuna, is part of the new wave of "youngster" closers.

NL Central

St Louis - Trevor Rosenthal likes his throne just fine.

Pittsburgh - Mark Melancon has a throne too (why couldn't he pitch like that when he was in Bosotn).

Chicago - Hector Rondon shows he deserves one to if Joe Maddon doesn't get too cute again.

Cincinnati - Okay was this Chapman's last year under contract or does he have another? (Again with the contracts already). Chapman closes somewhere for sure but if Cincy decides to go all in to re-build mode do they move him for young players? If so is Hoover next up?

Milwaukee - K-Rod's contract? Is he a free agent or what? If so who takes over.

NL West

Los Angeles - Kenley Jansen again, why not

San Francisco - Castilla started out strong, faded badly mid-season then sprinted nicely to the end. Which is to say that SF's once vaunted bullpen is showing it's age. Does Castilla at least start the season? Will they try and re-load in the off season?

San Diego - Craig Kimbrell unless they decide to dump his contract for yet another re-build.

Arizona - Brad Ziegler has done okay but again what about his contract? What about Daniel Hudson?

Colorado - Can John Axford actually end up the closer again? No one remotely thought he'd end up taking over this year. Cats have less lives. But if he is finally out who is in??????

I agree with GretzGretzky that Soria may well find a closer gig or at least a nice, fat contract to sit around somewhere on a top contender team as the closer-in-waiting. Is Chapman leaving in Cincy? If so he would be the biggest name in transit. Drew Storen could have a gig despite his meltdown after his undeserved demotion. Of course breaking your thumb slamming your hand on your own locker wasn't too wise of him I grant. Will K-Rod, Axford and Grilli even still stick around in baseball?

Then the whole issue of possible new closers. This was just about the old ones and I'll leave possible newly 2016 minted closers for other posts.

The Padres, I am hoping the Pads let the rebuild from last winter try and take hold, but who knows a lot of that was based upon the premise that Cashner and Kennedy were frontline type starters, they are not, IK is a free agent, so who knows how much they will have to invest in staff although they have some young recovering injury options to fill the backside of the staff.

Giants are interesting, but I think it will be Casilla, there was an innings or appearances trigger to his contract, he didnt get there until the very last weekend of the year, if they didnt want him to get it, they could have easily hot pitched him as much. There was talk though at the trade deadline about a closer, local radio heads were pushing for Chapman, but Casilla was solid after that, so my guess it will be Casilla, their $$ will go to frontline starter to pair with Bum and a Left-field bat, wouldnt be shocked if they make a run at Upton.

I wonder if Colome gets the closer gig in TB next year. Or do they try him in the rotation again?

Same with Trevor May in Minnesota. There was some talk he could be the closer of the future, but he also made some fine starts this year.

Carson Smith will likely get another shot at it in Seattle next season.

May is behind both Glen Perkins and Kevin Jepsen for the closer role in MN. Perk will definitely get the job to start the year, barring anything injuries, but Jepsen would take over for him if he struggles. I think May will remain in the bullpen/setup role. Our rotation is a bit crowded. He might get another chance at a few spot starts, but he really thrived in the bullpen last year, so I think that's where he'll be

When, or if, will Adam "Ottomatic" Ottavino be back in Colorado? He was pitching great in the closer's role before his TJ surgery. He'd definitely be worth a buck if you can stash him until the next year if he doesn't come back at all this year.

When, or if, will Adam "Ottomatic" Ottavino be back in Colorado? He was pitching great in the closer's role before his TJ surgery. He'd definitely be worth a buck if you can stash him until the next year if he doesn't come back at all this year.

He had TJS mid May, so July at the earliest if not at all. Love Ottoavino but wouldn't count on anything from him in 2016.

Does Jenrry Mejia get the closer job back for the Mets in 2016? With Famila having three blown saves (out of three chances) do the Mets go back to Mejia? Small sample size but Famila wasn't the first choice going into the 2015 season.

The last blown save was hardly his fault and he pitched great in the 10th. He's easily their best guy.

Does Jenrry Mejia get the closer job back for the Mets in 2016? With Famila having three blown saves (out of three chances) do the Mets go back to Mejia? Small sample size but Famila wasn't the first choice going into the 2015 season.

No way no how. Familia was one of the best closers in MLB this past season. 43 Saves. 86K's in 78 innings. ERA of 1.85. WHIP of 1.00. Damn consistent from start to finish. And at a young age he may end up as one of the great closers in the game by the time his career is over. What's not to love with this guy moving forward. His stats were awesome. And will be awesome in the future.

Mejia got himself suspended for banned substances a second time in a row cause he is a clown and a loser. I'm sure the Mets would love to kick him to the curb sooner than later. Guy's a bad joke.

Guess I look at things differently. I saw a manger who had lost faith in his closer in the World Series. You don't leave your post TJ pitcher in on an elimination game (who had complained about not wanting to pitch extra innings). The closer who had already blown two save chances in the previous games. And who wasn't your first or even second choice to be closing games to start the season.

Thought Yost summed up why Cueto was left in the game. We had a big lead. If the game had been closer there was no way Cueto came out to pitch if the games was 2-0 or 3-1. One manager had confidence and the other didn't.

And yes players getting banned for a part or even a whole season never comes back and plays for that team again.

Archived