Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_Commish

Move Gallo for a PG? Punt FT%/PTS team.

I was hoping to wait until The Rooster was cooking a bit more before I started shopping him, but I'm likely dropping to 0-2 this week thanks to games played and some epic shooting slumps. I knew I'd need to make a move for another PG eventually, but I'm getting anxious. Need to add more triples, assists, and steals to this punt FT%/PTS squad before the hole gets deeper.

The PG-heavy squad in our league has:

Wall, Lowry, IT2, Holiday, and Irving waiting on the IR.

Might toss out Gallo/Gortat for Lowry+1? In a month that might look like an overpay, but I got Gortat in the 10th. I don't think either guy's playing quite well enough to find a useful 1-for-1.

So .. not a bad idea, or total panic trade of a couple slow starters? You tell me.

im a little scared for another pg because of the TO. You need to focus more on threes + steals rather than assist i think. Let go of both Towns, m. leonard, and gallo. keep gortat, he's a good fit. If you can get gallo + kat for lowry, that would be a steal! I wouldnt mind gallo + gortat too. You should be aiming for tyoung, dragic, carrolle, korver, jrsmith, jeff teague. those are top priorities. maybe there are others i cant think of right now.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=562186

Here's what I would do personally.

I would look to sell high/trade Drummond and NOT punt ft%. Because besides Drummond your other guys are all great ft% shooters (except maybe t-jones/gobert but they won't kill you). Gortat and Towns are great ft% bigs and your guards/wings are also great ft% shooters. Try to get one of the elite pgs (Wall, Westbrook, Lillard) by trading Drummond + 1. If not, a Drummond for Bledsoe/Oladipo/Lowry swap would be good too. Then you don't have to punt points either.

If you still want to do the punt route and strengthen your 3s, assists, steals, then I would look to swap Gallo for Lowry, Teague, Dragic in that order. I don't think you can get Lowry or Teague but might as well try.

Oh man, hitting me right in the soul with those trade KAT/Drummond trade suggestions. But that's why I come here, for the objective view.

It's early and CP3 isn't rolling yet, but so far I'm actually worse off in assists than three/steals. Deron/Collison are fine 3rd and 4th dudes and Batum is a good supplement, but I need a true second-tier PG, which is why I'm debating on a overpay with my glut of big men. Lowry is definitely a worry with the excessive TO, though, yes. Of the PGs you mentioned, Dragic might be the only gettable one right now for a reasonable price. Teague was overdrafted at 20, otherwise Gortat or Gallo for Teague would be ideal. Just not going to happen right now, especially with Gortat's slow start. Maybe in a couple weeks?

Selling high on Drummond is intriguing, though I'd estimate that'd drop me down to like mid-table in boards (10-team league) even with Gobert to anchor, and not do too much for my points unless it was for a Westbrook. Suppose I'd be turning a streaming spot into a big man to supplement, though (actually just picked up Bjelica before the 5-game week; hoping the breakout is imminent).

Only other thoughts, because the owners are a bit panicky with slow starts:

Something ambitious like Drummond/Gallo/Gortat for Davis/Teague (just to start the bidding), or

Gortat or Gallo for Danny Green

If you're sticking with punting ft%, why not try to get Deandre? You could try a KAT for Deandre trade. Deandre Jordan is really, really good in a punt ft% build.

Drummond/Gallo/Gortat won't be enough to get you Davis/Teague, although you could try. Honestly if you can even do Drummond/Gallo for Davis straight up that would be a HUGE win for you. Then you don't have to punt ft% and you wouldn't lose out on that many boards.

In a punt ft%/points team, it might make sense to trade for Danny Green. However, I think Gallo and Gortat are more valuable. I understand the value of Danny Green but I still think Gortat/Gallo will finish higher.

DeAndre's probably a non-starter unfortunately, owner's also on a punt and still has him at a crazy value: 7th rounder next year with a two-round kicker each subsequent year. Otherwise KAT+1 for DJ would be just lovely.

Might float a Drummond-based two for one out for Davis just as a feeler, but either one is certainly overly ambitious. At least until Gallo is banging on all cylinders. Just want to see where a guy's head is at.

Appreciate all the thoughts, I could shoot the breeze on this stuff all day.

Why not go a diffferent route and dump assists all together? You only really have CP who is a legit PG right now. If you manage to trade CP for some high scoring Guard with 3s and steals, and also possibly trade Drummond for some good roster value, you can dump assists, but gain Pts and fts.

Punting assists was my alternate draft strategy if I ended with Boogie, actually. Thought about moving CP3 already, but the triple-punt was a bridge too far .. hadn't occurred to me to just do a giant pivot and also move Drummond. Good point.

If I'm looking at 0-3 after next week, it's going to get some serious consideration. That's the "extreme measures" point.

For the record, I did not anticipate the insane PG valuation in my draft; the plan was never "Deron will be my second PG, and I should be all good in assists," ha.

CP3 for Butler and Drummond for Klay would be a great pivot, but again the keeper situation probably kills it; Jimmy's a 7th rounder next season. Tough to get mad though, I'm in year two of Kawhi keeper goodness, and will have him below market value for at least two more. Great suggestions, though, something to use as a template. Maybe CP3 for Paul George, and Drumms for a Klay-level shooter?

This is fantastic stuff guys. I loved my draft, so I hadn't gone this far with thinking out strategy shifts; important now since the slow FG% start is looking to cost me early.

A lot of managers tend to overvalue PGs on draft day. I faced that myself in all of my drafts this year, and just didn't draft any expensive PGs. I'm totally comfortable building punt assists teams. I just drafted secondary PGs that give you 3s, steals and I'm ok.

I think you got the idea right though, players like George and Klay can make you very competitive.