Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirty Little Birdie

2016 Top Impact Prospects

Are there any guys that you might take later in the draft and stash until they get the call? Snell, Berrios, Giolito, Glasnow are a few pitchers to keep in mind. Any others?

In re-draft leagues definitely Berrios, Glasnow and Snell.. The Nats may keep Giolito in the minors all year since their rotation is going to be pretty solid with Scherzer, Stras, Gio, Ross and Roark.. The only way I could see him jumping into the rotation this year is if there is an injury later in the season.

Guys that I could see making a debut and having a fantasy impact in '16.

Mike Clevinger, SP - CLE (deep leagues)

Michael Fulmer, SP - DET

Orlando Arcia, SS - MIL

Trevor Story, SS - COL

Nomar Mazara, OF - TEX

AJ Reed, 1B - HOU

Nick Williams, OF - PHI (probably later in '16)

Other prospects that debuted late in '15 who could have a fantasy impact:

Trae Turner, SS - WAS

Max Kepler, OF - MIN

Personally I hope to stash glasnow and Reed if they're available late. But always a crapshoot and I tend to go overboard on prospecting

Anyone targeting Yoan Moncada?

I don't see him up anytime soon but he's a pretty unique case. If I hear any rumblings he's maybe/possibly/could be making the jump I'll go all in in my keeper league. Redraft I'd probably hold off until more is known.

Pretty good lists so far. Here's my rough list (will need some editing/reviewing). Might add/subtract some guys depending on further offseason research:

Hitters:

-Nomar Mazara (finished year at AAA, but played just 20 games there. Very polished though. Might be my personal favorite prospect in the minors, although Robles and Espinoza are up there :))

-Aaron Judge (played 61 games at AAA, although batted just .224 there)

-Trea Turner (probably will start the 2016 season at the MLB level)

-Orlando Arcia (played all of 2015 at AA, not sure if the Brewers move Segura in the winter or not)

-Brett Phillips (played 54 games at AA in 2015 with both Astros and Brewers organizations)

-Josh Bell (finished at AAA in 2015)

-Bradley Zimmer (finished at AA, although only batted .219 there. Potentially later season call up, but may be pushing it. Depends on how his season goes IMO)

-Tim Anderson (played all of 2015 at AA)

-Jesse Winker (stayed in AA for all of 2015)

-Brandon Nimmo (finished at AAA for 2015, played 32 games there)

-AJ Reed (played 53 games to finish 2015 at AA)

-Lewis Brinson (finished at AAA as he played 8 games there)

Turner is probably the closest among hitters. I feel confident in saying Mazara, Judge, and Bell should debut at some point in 2016 barring an injury. Feeling 75% confident that Arcia and Winker (Reed too, might put him in the Judge and Mazara tier) will make it up at some point. Interested to see how Brinson and Anderson are handled. Both are high upside guys that are still raw (Brinson probably a bit further along and has higher fantasy upside), however, Brinson should start the year at AAA and wouldn't surprise me if Anderson did as well. Not super confident in Phillips and Zimmer to make it in 2016, but I think there's a possibility.

Pitchers:

-Jose Berrios

-Michael Fulmer

-Blake Snell

-Tyler Glasnow

-Jameson Taillon possibly?

-Michael Feliz (pitched well at AA last year and debuted in 2015 in the MLB, but pitched very sparingly there)

-Mark Appel

-Jake Thompson

-Jeff Hoffman (Another year removed from TJS, COL could take the reigns off. Downside is of course, if he makes it to the MLB, which is no lock since he only pitched 36 IP at AA, he'd be pitching at Coors)

-Robert Stephenson

Guys like Berrios, Snell, Fulmer, and Stephenson are probably closest among pitchers. Throw in Appel into that as well. Thinking Glasnow is a June call up. I think Tailon pitched some in extended spring training, but then had hernia surgery, which ended his season. Pitched at AAA in 2013. Might throw in Urias to this list as well (later in 2016 would be my best guess for him). Regarding Giolito, this is from a McDaniel chat from the end of July:

Comment From David
Now that Giolito is at AA, how quickly will he move? Is ASB next year a reasonable ETA for his big league debut?

Kiley McDaniel: Nats told me last offseason that once a guy is at AA, he could be called up at any time and the reigns are off. That’s a decent guess.

Anyone targeting Yoan Moncada?

I don't see him up anytime soon but he's a pretty unique case. If I hear any rumblings he's maybe/possibly/could be making the jump I'll go all in in my keeper league. Redraft I'd probably hold off until more is known.

Agreed with Baur. I don't think we'll see him until 2017, but he is a very talented kid and although he struggled early on in 2015, that was his first year of pro baseball in a while and his first year of living in an entirely new country. Definitely a transition. Finished strong in 2015. He's the type of talent who could get real hot and just force his way, although I still don't see it happening until 2017. September of 2016 is probably really pushing it, so I'm thinking 2017 is the most realistic ETA for Moncada. Still needs to make up for lost playing time.

AJ Reed should break camp but will probably be held til Super-2 if they can't lock him in beforehand - and they should. He will be a first rounder eventually. If he hit 30 HR in his rookie year I would not be surprised.

Houston is too ******** good at the prospect game. Even the guys that get traded away look like fantastic ball players.

Think JP Crawford makes it up this year? Great talent and seems to have proved himself, but might be held back since Phillies won't be competing this year?

Think JP Crawford makes it up this year? Great talent and seems to have proved himself, but might be held back since Phillies won't be competing this year?

Probably not, he's still really young as he will turn 21 in January.. I don't see the Phillies calling him up and starting his arb. clock because he still needs some time in the minors. He struggled a bit in AA hitting the ball but showed an outstanding plate approach.. I think he's a 2017 call up and IMO he's a better "real life" value than fantasy anyways. I think Turner, Arcia and Story will provide more value during the 2016 season.

These are some names I like that don't get the hype the Snells, Glasnows, and Berrios's get:

Jesse Winker (OF - Cin)

Nick Williams (OF - Phi)

Carl Edwards Jr (P - Cubs)

Alan Hanson (MI - Pit) - Jumps way up the list if they deal Walker.

Kyle Zimmer (P - KC) - Assuming he can stay healthy for a season

Sean Manaea - (SP - Oak)

Max Kepler (OF - Min)

Think Max Kepler comes up in 2016? I know he had a cup of coffee with the Twins in September.

And thanks for this thread. Nice to have all the "almost theres" listed under one heading.

I'd have to think that with Grienke leaving LA, that Urias will get a shot at the rotation by mid-season.

It's certainly possible, do you think he will get the call over De Leon or Jharel Cotton? This is going to be one of the more interesting situations to follow this season.

I'd have to think that with Grienke leaving LA, that Urias will get a shot at the rotation by mid-season.

It's certainly possible, do you think he will get the call over De Leon or Jharel Cotton? This is going to be one of the more interesting situations to follow this season.

Both could be Reds by the end of the week.

Both could be Reds by the end of the week.

I think a deal including Grant Holmes and/or Jharel Cotton would most likely get it done. Not sure they'd trade De Leon unless it was for a big time SP or bat.

I would keep an eye on Alex Reyes and see how the Cards deal with his suspension. Like it has been pointed out the loophole for the suspension would be to put him on the major league roster. Maybe test him out in the spring, and work him out of the bullpen like the whitesox did with Chris Sale for a year or two.

His control is still very shaky. I think a September call up is possible but it seems more likely he'll be up in 2017. 36 Double A innings isn't very much.

Draft season is upon us so giving this thread a bump.

Was wondering who is on everyone's list for SS callups? Finally ridding myself of Tulo after half a decade so i need to fill that void.

Who do ya'll think the best options will be, as far as major league SS that will most likely break camp, or in the least get the call at some point this year?

Right now, i think im going to be targeting Tre Turner.

What's everyone's thoughts on Swanson?

I think Trevor Story has a shot with the Rockies. Havn't heard anything new on the Jose Reyes domestic abuse issue but there's a good chance he'll get a suspension of unknown length.

Story had a good year in 2015 as he played 1/2 season @ AA and then @ AAA. Combined for 20 HRs and 22 SBs although that came with a 24.5% K rate.

Turner- He's pretty much a shoe-in for the starting SS position in Washington..

Story- Reyes' domestic abuse trial starts on opening day, so I would imagine Story will get the first shot.. Even when and if Reyes, comes back, I could see Story still getting solid playing time as he is versatile enough to play 2B,SS and 3B.

Orlando Arcia MIL - May start in the minors, but I think they'll move Segura over to 2nd and have Arcia at SS not too long after the season opens.

Tim Anderson CWS- Tyler Saladino is their starting SS right now if that tells you anything.