Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirty Little Birdie

2016 Top Impact Prospects

Turner- He's pretty much a shoe-in for the starting SS position in Washington..

Story- Reyes' domestic abuse trial starts on opening day, so I would imagine Story will get the first shot.. Even when and if Reyes, comes back, I could see Story still getting solid playing time as he is versatile enough to play 2B,SS and 3B.

Orlando Arcia MIL - May start in the minors, but I think they'll move Segura over to 2nd and have Arcia at SS not too long after the season opens.

Tim Anderson CWS- Tyler Saladino is their starting SS right now if that tells you anything.

Unfortunately Turner is no longer that shoo-in to start out of ST. The dumb Nats went out and signed Stephen Drew in the off season. With Neil Walker at 2B now that leaves Drew and Danny Espinosa both at SS. If they intended to have Trea start they wouldn't have signed Drew since they already had Espinosa as the vet back-up is my thought. I agree Trea should be at SS but the Nats seem to do stupid things each year and in 2016 they are off to a fast start. Hopefully he will be up sometime this season though.

Alen Hansen mentioned above is a 2B so if you mean a SS period and not a middle infielder be aware of that. Real good 2B pick though. Maybe the post just got caught up in the middle of the SS replies.

Dansby Swanson doesn't fit the profile of this thread as a 2016 impact player. His ETA is sometime into 2017 from what I've read.

One SS not mentioned so far here is JP Crawford. He should be up sometime in 2016 for the Phils and is a top ranked prospect. Given the Phillies are in rebuild mode he could be up as soon as the club locks in that extra year of control.

Crawford is definitely a 2016 guy and his ranking even for fantasy ball keeps rising. One fantasy-skewed site listed him second to Corey Seager (who is still a "prospect" by some definitions of the word) and ahead of Brendan Rodgers and all the other SS mentioned here in the last half dozen replies.

Example: One site lists Crawford's ceiling (and that's different than instant reality of course) as 20 HR / 10-15 SB and .300 avg. But by comparison the ceiling estimated for Dansby Swanson on that site was 10 HR / 25 SB / .280 avg. So Crawford isn't chopped liver.

By the way Brendan Rogers may be the best of the lot ultimately but his ETA is usually listed as late 2018 or 2019 so he is moot for this thread.

good to know about Rodgers even if his ETA isnt til '18 at the earliest.

and it figures that the one youre high on the most (Crawford) is already taken in my league haha.

thanks for the insight though.

Turner- He's pretty much a shoe-in for the starting SS position in Washington..

Story- Reyes' domestic abuse trial starts on opening day, so I would imagine Story will get the first shot.. Even when and if Reyes, comes back, I could see Story still getting solid playing time as he is versatile enough to play 2B,SS and 3B.

Orlando Arcia MIL - May start in the minors, but I think they'll move Segura over to 2nd and have Arcia at SS not too long after the season opens.

Tim Anderson CWS- Tyler Saladino is their starting SS right now if that tells you anything.

Unfortunately Turner is no longer that shoo-in to start out of ST. The dumb Nats went out and signed Stephen Drew in the off season. With Neil Walker at 2B now that leaves Drew and Danny Espinosa both at SS. If they intended to have Trea start they wouldn't have signed Drew since they already had Espinosa as the vet back-up is my thought. I agree Trea should be at SS but the Nats seem to do stupid things each year and in 2016 they are off to a fast start. Hopefully he will be up sometime this season though.

Alen Hansen mentioned above is a 2B so if you mean a SS period and not a middle infielder be aware of that. Real good 2B pick though. Maybe the post just got caught up in the middle of the SS replies.

Dansby Swanson doesn't fit the profile of this thread as a 2016 impact player. His ETA is sometime into 2017 from what I've read.

One SS not mentioned so far here is JP Crawford. He should be up sometime in 2016 for the Phils and is a top ranked prospect. Given the Phillies are in rebuild mode he could be up as soon as the club locks in that extra year of control.

Crawford is definitely a 2016 guy and his ranking even for fantasy ball keeps rising. One fantasy-skewed site listed him second to Corey Seager (who is still a "prospect" by some definitions of the word) and ahead of Brendan Rodgers and all the other SS mentioned here in the last half dozen replies.

Example: One site lists Crawford's ceiling (and that's different than instant reality of course) as 20 HR / 10-15 SB and .300 avg. But by comparison the ceiling estimated for Dansby Swanson on that site was 10 HR / 25 SB / .280 avg. So Crawford isn't chopped liver.

By the way Brendan Rogers may be the best of the lot ultimately but his ETA is usually listed as late 2018 or 2019 so he is moot for this thread.

Completely forgot they signed Daniel Murphy and Stephen Drew and you are right that Espniosa will probably be playing SS for them this season. Good call on that..

My opinion on JP Crawford is the Phillies will keep him back for most of the year (if not all of it).. He just turned 21 years old and with the Phillies no where in contention it wouldn't make sense to start his clock. I'd rather see him work on his game in AAA opposed to bringing him up to early.. I'd much rather keep a prospect in the minors a little too long than to bring them up too early.. Crawford is ready on the defensive side of the ball, but his bat could still use work.

I think the major successes of prospects in 2015 may make teams quick on the trigger and bring guys up early before they are ready only to be sent back down to AAA. The Twins are a good example with Buxton last year.. With that said, 2015 was an anomaly with a number of star prospects coming into the game at once.

good to know about Rodgers even if his ETA isnt til '18 at the earliest.

and it figures that the one youre high on the most (Crawford) is already taken in my league haha.

thanks for the insight though.

Well if you could keep two of them Trevor Story would handcuff nicely in a dynasty with Brendan Rogers since they are both Rockies.

CoorsFieldRox, everything I've read is for Crawford coming up in 2016. They could be wrong but most of these so-called experts feel he is ready now and the Phils will have him up after they get one more year of control unless he suddenly is struggling.

Now I can see your pov but hard to go through the whole season with total crap in Phily cause the natives are really restless and throwing in a star prospect or two helps in the PR dept as well. Both with Crawford and Nick Williams. Seems the front office has to prove they aren't Amaro 2.0 sooner than later. East Coast baseball is a blood sport after all.

On an accountant's books it makes perfect sense to hold back Crawford and Williams. But I think there is more at play here.

Assuming re-draft.

Depending on when you draft and how his ST goes, I'd keep an eye on Tyler White manning 1B for the Astros.

He doesn't have the pedigree of most of the guys already mentioned but has not struggled to handle the pitching at any level thus far - and he played the 2nd half of 2015 at AAA with ease.

His defense is below average but assuming he hits moderately close to his minor league performance, he'll be the best option they've had there in a while.

I don't think they'll rush AJ Reed. Singleton looks like a quad-A player. Maybe Valbuena sees time at 1B. A lot of possibilities for the Astros at 1B.

Assuming re-draft.

Depending on when you draft and how his ST goes, I'd keep an eye on Tyler White manning 1B for the Astros.

He doesn't have the pedigree of most of the guys already mentioned but has not struggled to handle the pitching at any level thus far - and he played the 2nd half of 2015 at AAA with ease.

His defense is below average but assuming he hits moderately close to his minor league performance, he'll be the best option they've had there in a while.

I don't think they'll rush AJ Reed. Singleton looks like a quad-A player. Maybe Valbuena sees time at 1B. A lot of possibilities for the Astros at 1B.

I would expect AJ Reed up as soon as the club locks in another year of control. Or not up only if Singleton suddenly finds his mojo. Where did White come into the mix?

White's definitely more of a dark horse.

I think he's best equipped to help them now. Singleton has had stints the last couple years and still looks lost against MLB pitching. As you mentioned, Reed likely wouldn't be up til the super-2 passes. If White tears up ST and does well as the regular 1B, it could keep Reed down longer - no real harm in giving Reed a full season at AAA.

Keep an eye on White means exactly that - he could surprise many. Not that he's more talented than an AJ Reed.

I wouldn't write Singleton off just yet. It is way too early to call him a quad A player. In 2014 at the age of 22 he received regular playing time. He definitely struggled but still managed to club 13 bombs and continued to draw a lot of walks in 361 at bats. Last year his playing time was limited to 47 at bats and never really got a chance. He still drew 10 walks in 58 plate appearances. He had minor league options and Carter did not. Carter is gone and with a decent spring Singleton will have his opportunity. Everyone assumes that Reed will push Singleton out, but with power and patience, and a little bit of major league experience, Singleton may be ready to break out.

Tyler White is one year older than Singleton and has 259 plate appearances in AAA, Singleton has 981 plate appearances in AAA.

Tyler White is a new and shiny toy as he is just getting recognition, and Singleton, who is one year younger is called a Quad A. I call him a post hype sleeper. Singleton's AAA line for 2015 was .254/.359/.505, which isn't quite chopped liver, particularly when you consider his rhythm was interrupted by promotions where he received little playing time.

To know what minor leaguers might impact in 2016 you kind of have to know the ETA of arrival to the majors first and foremost. When I was looking around I noticed an old site upgraded their team depth roster pages that always had ETA of some of their minors to include both major and minor league velocity. innings, power ratings etc all on a handy page.

Also estamates where each minor league player's should start league level wise going into 2016. And even features "Fun With Flags" with each player having the flag of his native country next to him too.

Off season transactions etc also listed. This team page is so handy.

Having both the major league roster for a team on the same page as the minor league one is so handy to see who may be roster blocked and by whom etc. Handy page to bookmark from my pov.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc_week/

Maybe this isn't all 2016 stuff but some important info on the page is.

But wouldn't hurt to look past 2016 too. I counted the prospects listed on one page for a single team nd there were 76 of them. I'm in nerd heaven right now.

Sorry one more thing I forgot which is important for this 2016 thread. Their ETA projections are not always just 2016 or 2017 or whatever. They try to narrow it down if they can.

Example under Yankees they list:

Aaron Judge - late 2016

Gary Sanchez - mid 2016

They are guesses of course but all ETA are just that. I just like that they are trying to give you an idea when during the season you might see the guy up. I haven't found that on other sites.

Rotoworld has ETAs in their guide

Yeah almost every guide does. Just not early, mid and late stages of the year categories. That's what I wanted to get some guidance on from people who know more about ETAs than me (aka everyone) and that's why I posted that link above is all.

Did anyone else notice the trend from last season where players were often getting called up a year or so before their listed "ETA"? Could just be a sample of players that I noticed that is not representative of the whole, but it seemed to me like teams were pushing their talent to the bigs earlier than they had been in previous seasons.

Could also be just the factor of last year's rookies being so advanced. Perhaps, even if this was a trend in 2015, that it's just a one year blip.

Did anyone else notice the trend from last season where players were often getting called up a year or so before their listed "ETA"? Could just be a sample of players that I noticed that is not representative of the whole, but it seemed to me like teams were pushing their talent to the bigs earlier than they had been in previous seasons.

Could also be just the factor of last year's rookies being so advanced. Perhaps, even if this was a trend in 2015, that it's just a one year blip.

This trend was true in 2014 as well. I think I'm throwing ETA and just using my own judgement guys hit AA.

This trend was true in 2014 as well. I think I'm throwing ETA and just using my own judgement guys hit AA.

This is probably grossly oversimplifying things, but I feel like the Astros and Cubs becoming contenders caused a big influx of talent into the bigs. I don't see any team with that same glut of minor league talent this year, but depending on how the year plays out I could see the Pirates, Red Sox, or Dodgers maybe pushing a few people's schedule. Who knows though.

^ I don't think the Red Sox will push anyone up this season. Christian Vazquez should be up but he already played basically a full season in the majors before his injury. Henry Owens might be up it one of teh starting rotation falters or gets injured but he spent a lot of last year in the majors. They went out and got Chris Young as the stop gap fourth outfielder because Andrew Beintedni shouldn't be up until sometime next year at the earliest. They could bring up some journeyman of course but no really big names this year. Because the other big names like Moncada, Devers, Espinoza etc are a couple of years or more away.

The Red Sox have brought a pitcher for a spot start but don't usually bring up a fielder to sit the bench. Unless they move Rameriz or Sandavol I . That ain't going to happen. They have position players covered. i hope Moncada stays down until the start of the 2018 season.

I think you'll see Owens & Johnson this year. The rest of the Red Sox are just so far away.

This is probably grossly oversimplifying things, but I feel like the Astros and Cubs becoming contenders caused a big influx of talent into the bigs. I don't see any team with that same glut of minor league talent this year, but depending on how the year plays out I could see the Pirates, Red Sox, or Dodgers maybe pushing a few people's schedule. Who knows though.

Conforto was not on radars last year.

Odor jumped quickly.

Mookie Betts shot right through.

Correa last year played only 50 some odd games above A.

Wasn't Devon Travis straight out of AA out of no where?

Nevermind Soler and Schwarber too.

Conforto was not on radars last year.

Odor jumped quickly.

Mookie Betts shot right through.

Correa last year played only 50 some odd games above A.

Wasn't Devon Travis straight out of AA out of no where?

Nevermind Soler and Schwarber too.

This! Conforto and Schwarber were both in the bigs a year and a half after they were drafted out of college. Benintendi could very well do the same. Each organization is going to handle their prospects differently and it seems the new "trend" is promote now ask questions later. The Dodgers may very well be in position to bring up a couple of their young guns for a playoff push (De Leon, Martes, Cotton).

What about the Rangers? Gallo, Brinson, Mazara. I know that's pressure on Hamilton and Choo, especially with their contracts, but they are very intriguing to me. Are they all close? Or is there a lot of development needed that I am missing?

What about the Rangers? Gallo, Brinson, Mazara. I know that's pressure on Hamilton and Choo, especially with their contracts, but they are very intriguing to me. Are they all close? Or is there a lot of development needed that I am missing?

Hamilton's contract isn't going to slow any TEX prospect down as LAA is paying like 90% of it.

They'll most likely need injury..... or have historic numbers in the minors. Gallo still needs a lot of ABs at AAA.

Mazara is projected to be up this year sometime. Maybe by all star break even. Depends on how inept how early Hamilton is. Or him getting injured or falling back in to his addiction problems though we all hope that doesn't happen.

Brinson's ETA is usually listed as next season. Maybe a taste with a September call-up this season if Rangers contend and they want bench depth.

Gallo has been up. Question with him is if he goes down to start 2016. I never had any real interest in him so haven't clue there.