Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kethnaab

Ever done a 2-QB league?

So I decided to go for a 2-QB league, one where you start 2x QBs every week. Any tips on drafting strategy? Obviously you need to pick your QBs first, but passing up a stud like AD or SJax or LT or whatever is going to be tough if my option is picking up Philip Rivers since I need a 2nd QB

Do you spend your first 2 picks on QBs? QB is typically the highest scoring position, on average in non-PPR.

No clue how to proceed with the draft strategy. I sure as heck can't think of 10 solid starting QBs I'd want to rely on, let alone 20.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe you want to grab your two quarterbacks in the first five rounds or so, hopefully that would land you a combo like Brees and Cutler, and then (hopefully) you'd be all set to start filling out the rest of your lineup. Running backs are still very important, especially with so many RBBC situations shaping up around the league. The elite producers are still worth an arm and a leg in that type of league, if you ask me.

just because you use 2 Qb's doesnt mean you want to overdraft them. there are only a few worthy of going in the first round. select them judiciously.

So I decided to go for a 2-QB league, one where you start 2x QBs every week. Any tips on drafting strategy? Obviously you need to pick your QBs first, but passing up a stud like AD or SJax or LT or whatever is going to be tough if my option is picking up Philip Rivers since I need a 2nd QB

Do you spend your first 2 picks on QBs? QB is typically the highest scoring position, on average in non-PPR.

No clue how to proceed with the draft strategy. I sure as heck can't think of 10 solid starting QBs I'd want to rely on, let alone 20.

How many teams? 10 is the perfect size for double QB leagues, 8 or fewer defeats the point and 12 ruins everything during the bye weeks.

As long as the scoring is standard, don't draft any differently than you would otherwise...just be willing to reach a bit (but not THAT much) for QBs in the middle rounds. Absolutely make sure that they have different byes. That's the most important thing. I dunno if you can determine which teams don't have byes with eachother, but otherwise the draft is really playing roulette until the schedule comes out. And here are a few tips, from a guy who did his 2 QB league in 2006:

1) Try to get the safest QBs around. Try and avoid a guy who has an obvious heir-apparent who would take over if they struggle. Delhomme would fall into this category, as would McNabb, Trent Edwards/JP Losman and Garcia. The same goes for any QB over 30 if their team drafts a QB in the first two rounds and their name isn't Tom or Peyton.

2) Avoid QB controversies. Pennington/Clemens, Losman/Edwards, Leinart/Warner and so on.

3) Avoid the chronically injured. Prepping in the draft doesn't help when Jon Kitna goes down with a concussion.

Pretty much to break it down, the best QBs in that sort of system would be (in no particular order):

Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, David Garrard, Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Phil Rivers, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Matt Hasselbeck.

I left out Derek Andersen just because of the whole Brady Quinn deal..but he really should be on there. Obviously, unless you spend three of your first six picks on QBs, you're not getting three of these guys.

Past these guys, the safest bets would, probably, be guys like Schaub, McNabb and Kitna. They all have injury worries, but it's unlikely for any of them to lose their starting spot. Past them, though, it's a crap shoot.

It really is kinda a crappy year for dual QB leagues, just because of the controversies in New York, Miami, Buffalo, Baltimore, Kansas City, Oakland, Washington, Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco and Arizona...but hey...what're ya gonna do?

Last year I was in a 2QB League with 8 Teams overall, it was a sweet league and my biggest mistake was thinking my RB and WR core could carry the weight as I switched QBs all season...

My only suggestion is that you take a QB in the first two rounds if they're names are (In this Order): Peyton, Brady, Romo, Roethlisberger, Brees, McNabb(If he gets a stud WR this offseason)

After that Id say go with any other top notch QB between round 2-5....

My draft this year will consist of a strategy like the one above...

RB - QB - RB - WR - WR - QB <--- Sounds like a good plan to me the two WR slots can be switched with the QB if other owners are going QB crazy early on.

You're right to be concerned, QBs replace RBs as the premium position, because there is a set amount of QBs that touch the ball each week, (no QBBC), and some of them are just god awful and you wouldn't want to play anyways. I would say a QB in the first 2 rounds is a must, and yea, you'll wanna draft your second by the 5th round, maybe even in the 4th. One solid contributer is very important, because if they both have an off week the same week, you pretty much don't stand a chance. Also, this is advice coming from someone who played a 10 team, 2 QB league, so I know how thin QBs can get once people grab their starters, and then they all want backups. What you should do predraft is list out all of the quarterbacks in a rank you have, and then their point totals in your scoring system. Then using that, determine what 2 you would be happy with. If you don't mind pairing Cutler and Leinart, than maybe you don't spend one of your first two. But if you want one of those guys paired with Romo/Palmer/Brees, its likely you'll have to go early. Watch other people's drafting, there might be a QB rush.

Pretty much...you should treat QBs in dual-QB leagues the same way you treat closers in fantasy baseball. It pushes all their value up, but once again, you don't necessarily have to scramble early to get them.

In 2006, I drafted Jake Plummer, Mark Brunell and Phil Rivers as my three QBs, which seemed like a good crew at the time. Obviously, it didn't pan out as such, with Cutler pushing out Plummer and Campbell bumping off Brunell (alliteration ftw). In retrospect, it wasn't a good idea, because of how both teams had used a first round pick in the last two years on a QB...and the way things played out, I ended up riding on the Damon Huard train for a bit, then dropped him when Trent was supposed to come back (he didn't). From there, I ended up having to grab Pennington off waivers, and Harrington as soon as he was declared starter.

As Sanfran said, you need to pay close attention. You're probably going to want to get backup QBs FIRST, rather than deepening your RB or WR corps.

To stress how crazy it was, the only starting QB by season's end who wasn't on somebody's lineup was Aaron Brooks.

it's a 10-team league, 1:20 yards, 4:TD for QBs, standard non-PPR for everyone else

I'm thoroughly intrigued at the possibilities here, because it is something completely different than I've ever done, and you really can't prepare for it other than simply knowing who is good and having your list of sleepers.

I definitely plan on drafting a QB in the first round, unless I pick 10th and can end up nabbing a pair of uberstuds like SJax and AD or something ridiculous.

I did a 2 QB league last year w/ 10 teams. Every starting QB (and some backups) was rostered throughout the season. You need to draft a stud QB early and try to draft a couple sleepers in the middle/late rounds. I would say bump QB draft values up a round. maybe draft RB-QB-RB.

Obviously you need to pick your QBs first, but passing up a stud like AD or SJax or LT or whatever is going to be tough if my option is picking up Philip Rivers since I need a 2nd QB

LOL are you serious? Just because you have 2 QBs in no way means you should be picking one before those RBs. At the most, it bumps each QB up a few spots....not Phillip Rivers to the beginning of the 1st round B)

I definitely plan on drafting a QB in the first round, unless I pick 10th and can end up nabbing a pair of uberstuds like SJax and AD or something ridiculous.

Not going to happen. SJax and AD will still go in the top 5 if the drafters in your league have a clue what they're doing.

Yeah, seriously, don't draft a QB in the first round unless you're one of those silly bastards who goes for Peyton/will go for Tom.

If you're in the first 8 picks, you should definitely wait. A better draft strategy would be to potentially grab the second tier starting QBs (Palmer, Romo, Brees), and hold out for a fourth tier guy, then back up with somebody else.

I consistently wait for QBs in fantasy drafts. The earliest I've ever taken a QB was this year with Jon Kitna and it was in the sixth round. Even in 2x QB leagues, I'd still wait for tier 3 guys like Derek Andersen, Marc Bulger, Ben Roethlisberger (would he be tier 3 or 2?) and McNabb to take a guy. I'd just be willing to get a competent #2 right afterwards like David Garrard, Phil Rivers or Eli Manning. Like I said, you should approach QBs in 2 QB leagues like you do if you're pro-closers in fantasy baseball. You're gonna want to get a good guy to anchor your crew, but that doesn't mean you need to grab Jonathon Papelbon in round 3 (or, in football, Tony Romo in round 2).

Not going to happen. SJax and AD will still go in the top 5 if the drafters in your league have a clue what they're doing.

Brady I believe is a lock for a top 5 pick, possibly as high as third. Does a 2 league team put Peyton in the 4th or 5th spot?

After limiting my leagues down to one (I don't like keeping track of multiple rosters.. start rooting for one against the other etc) i went with our 12 team two-qb league. I love it. Some might recoil in horror at the thought of drafting tarvaris jackson, but the fact is, shouldn't a starting qb have more value than a guy like jerious norwood, who seriously had like 5 valuable PLAYS (not games) all year?

And I was one of those silly guys who took Brady in the first round.. and it helped take me to a 12-1 record and the finals (only be up-ended by several down perfomances in week 16). TOne reason folks load up on RBs before qbs, is the thought that you only need qb, and the top 12 are similar in value most years (with a couple standouts like brady 07 that are tough to predict).

BUT-- when you play 2, they are on par with RBs.. and if you are in a 12 team league, it does wreak havoc on bye weeks because there aren't enough starters to go around... but it does mean every starting QB (and the top 2 or 3 backups) get rostered.. I mean, Kurt Warner, Brady Quinn, and Brian Griese were drafted last year... but you don't have to.. some guys choose to line up the bye weeks of their two starting QBs and just punt that week.

Anyways, for drafting, I think the rule is to get one WR, 2 RB and 2 QB in your first five rounds. How you do it depends on the value of the guys where you pick. If you are picking third, DO NOT take a QB.. you can always nab a Romo at the end of round 2 (where he went in 07) but if you are picking late first.. the qb crop should be pretty thin by late third.. so you probably want your QB1 late first/early second.

2 QB Leagues are life

2 QBs and 2 RBs

I'll add my 2 cents. Last season I played in two 2QB starter leagues for the first time. The points were a little different (6 point passing TDs), so the position was at a premium. I ended up taking Brady in round 2 and Romo in the 4th and Campbell in the 16th in one league. In my other league I got Big Ben in the 2nd, Bulger in the 5th and Cutler in the 12th.

So, based on my experience I would not grab a QB in the first round (especially not with passing TDs worth 4 points), I would grab one in the 2nd round and your other starter in round 5 or 6. You can always pick up a third QB after you have built your RB and WR depth.

My main live draft league is a 10-team, 2-QB league. We go with the 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DT starting lineup and draft 20 rounds. In the first 5 rounds there's usually an average of about 13 QBs taken, so at least 3 teams drafted both starters by the 5th round.

Last season Peyton went 3rd, Carson went 7th, Brady went 13th, Bulger went 19th, Kitna went 20th (??), Brees 22nd, McNabb 24th, Vince Young 25th, Hasselbeck 29th, Rivers 43rd, Romo 45th, Eli 46th, Cutler 49th.

2006 -- Peyton went 5th, Brady went 29th, Carson went 34th, Hasselbeck went 37th, Vick 29th, McNabb 39th, Delhomme 40th, Bulger 41st, Eli 42nd, Kurt Warner 44th, Culpepper 45th, Bledsoe 46th, Brees 47th, Trent Green 48th.

2005 -- Peyton 2nd, Culpepper 4th, McNabb 8th, Trent Green 21st, Vick 26th, Bulger 29th, Kerry Collins 30th, Hasselbeck 44th, Carson 45th, Farve 46th, Aaron Brooks 47th, Jake Plummer 48th (Brady 52nd).

Last season Peyton went 3rd, Carson went 7th, Brady went 13th, Bulger went 19th, Kitna went 20th (??), Brees 22nd, McNabb 24th, Vince Young 25th, Hasselbeck 29th, Rivers 43rd, Romo 45th, Eli 46th, Cutler 49th.

2006 -- Peyton went 5th, Brady went 29th, Carson went 34th, Hasselbeck went 37th, Vick 29th, McNabb 39th, Delhomme 40th, Bulger 41st, Eli 42nd, Kurt Warner 44th, Culpepper 45th, Bledsoe 46th, Brees 47th, Trent Green 48th.

2005 -- Peyton 2nd, Culpepper 4th, McNabb 8th, Trent Green 21st, Vick 26th, Bulger 29th, Kerry Collins 30th, Hasselbeck 44th, Carson 45th, Farve 46th, Aaron Brooks 47th, Jake Plummer 48th (Brady 52nd).

B)

Overall?

in a 2-QB league I could see why they would go so high

I found out that I have 2nd pick in the 2-QB league. Fortunately, that means I should nail a serious stud. Unfortunately, it means that I won't get a chance to see how the draft goes.

You figure that there are at least 15 RBs that are going to produce consistently next season, but how many QBs do you really trust?

Besides, points are 1/25 yards, 6/TD

I can see me drafting a RB and then the rest of the guys grab their top 2 QBs and by the time the draft snakes to me, I will be stuck with Alex Smith and Tarvaris Jackson as my 2 primary starters or something. B)

in a 2-QB league I could see why they would go so high

I found out that I have 2nd pick in the 2-QB league. Fortunately, that means I should nail a serious stud. Unfortunately, it means that I won't get a chance to see how the draft goes.

You figure that there are at least 15 RBs that are going to produce consistently next season, but how many QBs do you really trust?

Besides, points are 1/25 yards, 6/TD

I can see me drafting a RB and then the rest of the guys grab their top 2 QBs and by the time the draft snakes to me, I will be stuck with Alex Smith and Tarvaris Jackson as my 2 primary starters or something. B)

They would go higher, but not THAT high. And with that #2 pick, you're not in as tight a spot as it would seem. But don't take a QB with your first pick. Just take S-Jax or AP or whoever. Then wait. I doubt that Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger ALL get taken ahead of LT, S-Jax, AP, Randy Moss, Addai, LJ, Frank Gore, Marshawn, McGahee, and so on. You can grab one of those guys in round 2, then wait and pick up a guy like Cutler, Andersen, Bulger, Hasselbeck, etc, a few rounds later.

Don't be TOO worried. All you have to do is take a QB if you see a big rush for em. You don't really have to worry about them running out before you get a shot at them.

I like 2 QB league's. I can't stand seeing 20 points a week come from someone on waivers. I dont understand why 2 QB leagues arent just as standard as 2 RB leagues? There are 32 starting RB's and 32 starting QB's. Some would argue that the bottom 12 QB's arent worth having on your team. I respond how many starting RB's to you keep on the bench. I'd think 0 unless one is playing in a small league or in a league with small roster settings. That brings up an important question. What are the settings of the league? Is it default? Did the commish twist the settings to make QB's more valuable or less? (Visa/Versa for RB and WR) I'll continue by assuming your in default.

The thing about 2 QB leagues is that QB's are just as valuable as RB's. Considering Brady still has Moss I might even draft him over LT or Peterson. Make sure that you have at least 3 QB's. Having a 4th is perferable as supply and demand does become a factor. When should you draft QBs? Ask yourself how many starting RB's get past the 10th round? That said, there will be some QB's fall post 10th round. Last season I had Derek Anderson as my must have 3rd/4th QB. Note: I'm staying away from Anderson this year. The Browns are paying Quinn too much money for them not to consider going his way after a few bad games from Anderson.

Last season I had Derek Anderson as my must have 3rd/4th QB. Note: I'm staying away from Anderson this year. The Browns are paying Quinn too much money for them not to consider going his way after a few bad games from Anderson.

Actually, if you were paying attention, the Browns aren't paying Brady Quinn much at all UNLESS he plays.. in that case his contract becomes note worthy.

Using YOUR logic they have more incentive to NOT play him than they do to play him..

But, again... you aren't paying attention. The Browns aren't that concerned about money.

Where did you get your information? Or did you just think it up all on your own..

i've done a dual qb league sometimes and personally do not like it. but the league i was in that does it, qb points are as good if not better than running backs. i just won that league this past year and for the first time i took a qb first round (brady) but i also had like pick six, and i already had decided that if i was not going to get lt or s-jax, i was taking a qb since i knew alexander would be taken before i came around as well. i knew i wouldnt get peyton and had hoped to get carson, but he was gone and brady was a guy i targeted as well. i put up a smokescrean that i was going to take larry johnson to a guy who wanted to trade with me and tried ripping me off. it really does depend, and looking at how qb's only get 4 points for td, i'd say put the big 3-5 rb ahead of any qb, and then if you cant get one of those guys, go with a peyton, brady or palmer, and then back to rb. i wouldnt draft a qb rounds 1 and 2 though unless there is a steal or you really do not like the rb that go in those rounds and feel your sleepers will pan out better. even if qb's outscore rb, i still overall have more value with rb, especially since there is more and more timesharing going on. one thing to do with qb though (if you have the roster spots) that have some uncertainty (injury, backup breathing down neck, etc) is handcuff the qb with the backup, as what happens often with rb. in 1 qb leagues that not usually important, but in 2, that option because more advisable. a league format i've always wanted to try (i dont know any league that does this though) in a 2 qb league is having a teams qb. i've heard of the concept. its pretty much say first round i draft NE QB, like drafting a defense, so lets say brady's going well but then gets hurt, i dont get screwed. more importantly, lets say NE decides to rest brady once they have the league wrapped up and no records to chase, and let cassell (sp?) start. i'd still get the NE passing stats and not have to worry when my team is in the championship game in week 16 kind of thing. i started worrying about that kind of thing in leagues and actually late in the season, if i could afford the roster spot, i would pick up a high profile qb's backup, whether i owned him or not, speculating that it could come into play.

never underestimate the power of a good run game though, and if you are drafting a starting rb in round 5, you are likely in trouble, but drafting a starting qb in round 5, even in a dual qb league, doesn't spell doom (unless your league is dumb and spent all their time taking qb's way too early, but then at least your running backs should be stacked lol)

I only know one person in a 2-qb league. As soon as he said that Brady Croyle was a valuable asset, I lost all interest in the concept..... B)

I only know one person in a 2-qb league. As soon as he said that Brady Croyle was a valuable asset, I lost all interest in the concept..... B)

Brody Quinn is pretty valuable as well.