Letitbe793

Rhys Hoskins - 1B PHI

Time to bump this thread up.

As of today, his season line sits at:

16 HR 

46 RBI

After a very, very slow start - Hoskins has been on an absolute tear for the past few weeks with 7 HR in his last 10 games.  It's certainly encouraging to see a kid making a jump in levels make adjustments and have success like he did at the lower ones.  Last year at 2 levels in A ball, he hit .319 with 19 HR and 90 RBI.

I don't think we see a .300 hitter here (K/BB ratio isn't great-but not AWFUL), but the power looks to play anywhere.  Both he and teammate Dylan Cozens are making a push to be in Philly sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

Time to bump this thread up.

As of today, his season line sits at:

16 HR 

46 RBI

After a very, very slow start - Hoskins has been on an absolute tear for the past few weeks with 7 HR in his last 10 games.  It's certainly encouraging to see a kid making a jump in levels make adjustments and have success like he did at the lower ones.  Last year at 2 levels in A ball, he hit .319 with 19 HR and 90 RBI.

I don't think we see a .300 hitter here (K/BB ratio isn't great-but not AWFUL), but the power looks to play anywhere.  Both he and teammate Dylan Cozens are making a push to be in Philly sooner rather than later.

Interesting bat here, but it seems Joseph has locked down the 1B job. Not sure how Philly would get his bat in the lineup barring an injury of course. 

Hoskins is interesting, but I think Cozens has the higher upside right now.

On 6/12/2016 at 1:18 PM, fawkes_mulder said:

Hoskins is interesting, but I think Cozens has the higher upside right now.

3 for 4 again tonight with a HR and 2 2B, to go along with 6 RBI

3 minutes ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

3 for 4 again tonight with a HR and 2 2B, to go along with 6 RBI

Good for Hoskins. Doesn't change my opinion.

Cozens is likely going to move from OF to 1B so I see the two as direct adversaries. I like Hoskins FWIW, just think Cozens has a bit more pedigree and better power stats so far. Also has a couple inches and some lbs on him, though both players are huge.

Both are good spec adds IMO, I just don't have room to add both.

Man though, really seems like the Phillies have some nice pieces. The rebuild might be faster than anyone thought.

BTW didn't mean to throw shade at Hoskins or sound antagonistic. I might have to find room for Hoskins too. It's just tough to find room for all these upside/fringe prospects!

On fire right now.  homered again today, #20 with another double and 3 more RBI.

3 straight games with a HR

Now hitting .276 20HR 59RBI

Did some digging on both Hoskins and Cozens. Apparently the home stadium in Reading is "a launching pad." The GM of the Phillies even questioned whether power numbers are legit from players there.

look up the home/road splits, it is drastic.

Hoskins' splits aren't nearly as dramatic as Cozens' (I do agree on Cozens, but Hoskins is having a power breakout this season for sure - .936 home OPS, .858 road OPS). I'm definitely intrigued here.

Splits less alarming for Hopkins than Cozens but enough to temper expectations - thx fawkes. 23 yo AA 1b, on pace for 28HR (road projection) is rosterable (on my uncompetitive squad in a 14 team keep 30) but not write-home-about like 20 bombs before the break.

Yeah, that's what I noticed as well bdy1, about a 30HR road projection and a 50+HR home projection. He's also had more xbh's on the road than at home in only one more road AB (19 to 17). Same average and obp at home and on the road as well.

Edited by Dark One

Sure looks like Tommy Joseph isn't the long-term answer at 1B either - the 8 homers are nice and all, but his slash line is at .221/.234/.443 now and the last 21 days have been absolutely brutal (.121/.132/.212).  I'm sure they'll give him another month or so to see if he makes the adjustments, but I could totally see Hoskins (or Cozens) get a chance in September.

As for the Cozens vs. Hoskins debate - their slash lines are remarkably similar but Cozens has a much worse K rate to go along with a better walk rate (and the aforementioned home/road splits).  I'm guessing they both get promoted to AAA soon and at least one of them gets a cup of coffee in September.

2 more hrs tonight.  I just discovered he and Cozens stats today.  The phillies have some good bats on the farm.  These two cornfed boys playing in that little league park should make for some good stats in the box score. 

For those keeping track it's a home game. His 2HR the other night were on the road, and his home/road splits remain solid (16-9 HR with comparable slash lines)

Cozens OTOH, 9 for his last 47 on the road with 0 HR -- sitting on 20 home(rs), only 4 on the road with a 1.166/.722 OPS split.

I'm ready to see these two promoted and get some clarity on the monster seasons in the band box.

Edited by bdy1

Yeah, most things I've read/seen about the two is that Hoskins has shown the ability to hit no matter where.  And on top of that, Hoskins is said to have a great makeup.  Keith Law, for one, has been notable in saying that he believes in Hoskins, but not Cozens-mostly because of his makeup which he deems 'questionable at best'

The kid was named minor league player of the month for June. Do it again in July ya stud!

3 hours ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

Yeah, most things I've read/seen about the two is that Hoskins has shown the ability to hit no matter where.  And on top of that, Hoskins is said to have a great makeup.  Keith Law, for one, has been notable in saying that he believes in Hoskins, but not Cozens-mostly because of his makeup which he deems 'questionable at best'

Sounds like a bunch of bologna, to be honest. Don't really give a **** about a scout's character evaluations.

6 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Sounds like a bunch of bologna, to be honest. Don't really give a **** about a scout's character evaluations.

i know i'm in the minority here, but i actually listen to KLaw.  sure he's dismissive, arrogant, and even very antagonistic-but he's right more often than not (in my opinion anyway).  He believes in Hoskins, not Cozens.  Just stating an opinion 

Edited by MrMartyBarrett

13 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I'd give it some weight if it wasn't Keith Law. You have to have a little bit of character before I'll trust your opinion on other people's.

HR yesterday and today.  27 now

and 86 RBI.

Yes, I get the park....which will come up.  But he really needs more love.  It's not like he hasn't hit before.  He did hit .319/17/90 last year.

May not be a call up this year, but I'm a believer.

1 hour ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

#28 tonight.

3 days in a row.

Okay Barrett, you've done it.. you've convinced me to stash this guy. Consider me a quasibeliever. 

Tommy Joseph isn't playing too badly recently so what happens with the log jam at 1B with all three of these guys for the Phils?  They still don't play DH in the NL for some dumb reason so what do they do with the situation?  Trades?  The outfield blocking Nick Williams and maybe Altherr coming back soon in the process?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory