Sign in to follow this  
FouLLine

Phil Bickford - SP SF

6'5" righty was the 18th overall pick in the 2015 June Draft. A JUCO player who dominated at the JUCO level with a 1.45 ERA, 0.76 WHIP, and a 17.24 K/9.

In rookie ball after he was drafted Phil Bickford was mighty dominant yet again but only over a 22 inning sample. He had a 2.03 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, 12.90 K/9.

In a great organization for grooming pitchers. Bickford is a long ways away from the majors but he does look to have a pretty high ceiling.

Ready for a callup to San Jose-A. I'm not saying he's Lincecum (and I'm not saying he isn't), but Timmy needed only 2 starts to buzz thru A- ball. Bickford in 4 starts:

20.2ip, 14h, 4bb, 33k

Lincecum was essentially 2 years older than Bickford. Bickford has a high ceiling no doubt.

Made high A debut Sunday: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 13 K...dude seems like the real deal, lets hope he stays healthy. 

Edited by Letitbe793

I think Bickford has a pretty high ceiling as a good SP with high ks and also high floor as a late innings reliever. What hes showing at High A right now is impressive. Have not seen him in person but from scouting reports I've read: he has excellent fastball movement and a slider that is inconsistent but plus at times. Changeup needs work and I hope Giants minor league pitching coaches push him to work on it and implement it in games so that it can improve rather than simply only using the two better pitches and focusing on success against the minor league batters. Seems like a good dynasty league buy right now and Giants have had pretty good success with pitching prospects. 

Most things I've read indicate that Bickford's stuff better profiles as a reliever, but maybe he can become a closer.

From Baseball Prospectus

His challenge will come in the upper levels when the depth of his arsenal will be tested. It’s tough to count out such a quick arm with deceptive qualities as a starter, but it’s an arsenal best suited for relief. —David Lee

I always use caution for these early reliever projections.  Remember early in Scherzer's career there was rumors he was better suited for the bullpen.  If you have a knock out breaking ball and elite heater you can get away letting your 3rd pitch have some time to develop.

2 hours ago, accudart said:

What some current thoughts..

Scouting friend was at futures game and said he was one of the LEAST impressive pitchers there

On 1/28/2017 at 8:27 AM, PPolanco said:

Heard his stock is essentially shot?

Honestly it's probably a good time to buy in on Phil Bickford, he'll be just fine.

What are the thoughts on him. Not much out there that I could find. After serving his 50 games and a broken hand it looks like he's logged 17 innings in a rookie league. Anyone have anything else? 

On 9/9/2017 at 1:20 PM, accudart said:

What are the thoughts on him. Not much out there that I could find. After serving his 50 games and a broken hand it looks like he's logged 17 innings in a rookie league. Anyone have anything else? 

Suspension injuries just a down year for him in general.  His stock is probably as low as it'll ever be again.  I'd buy low on him.

BLAST from the PAST, but I saw Phil Bickford close out a ST win for Crew yesterday, and he looked rather filthy doing so!

He is a full-time RP nowadays, and has yet to advance past High-A ball...but he was lights out last year there-- 32+ IP 23 HA with 11BB/53K and a .179 BAA with 2.48 ERA

24 yrs old and looks like he should be able to contribute to team this year, not what anyone hoped for (obv) but just thought it was semi-interesting?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Backfire is a zombie prospect.  After his suspension in 2017 he pitched in the AZL where had a 1.41 WHIP in 17 innings.  In 2018 he had a 1.59 WHIP in 34.2 innings in the Carolina League. 

In 2019 he did not pitch until June returning to the Carolina League and he gave up 9 runs in his first 6.2 innings although he did strikeout 14.  Something clicked and he was unhitable all of sudden.  The rest of the way he pitched 26 scoreless innings allowing nine hits and six walks while striking out 39.

It would be an incredible story if he had successful career after all his issues.  It is something I will be paying attention to.

• Like 1