Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hailtoyourvictor

Blake Bortles 2016 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Biw said:

Oh boy, you know it's bad when the college highlights start coming out. Have some self respect man. 

 

When talking about his throwing motion and his confidence?  Why wouldn't I?  A poster above pointed out how it has degraded just from one year.  He looks completely different.

 

He doesn't look like the same person simply looking down the field.  That isn't relevant? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sternes said:

 

When talking about his throwing motion and his confidence?  Why wouldn't I?  A poster above pointed out how it has degraded just from one year.  He looks completely different.

 

He doesn't look like the same person simply looking down the field.  That isn't relevant? 

It's not relevant to me because that's what happens with every bust in the league. They were good in college despite whatever flaws they had and once they get into the NFL,  they are exposed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like he wants to throw sidearm but changes his mind. He sucks and holds the ball like a chump, see Bradford. Just terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Biw said:

It's not relevant to me because that's what happens with every bust in the league. They were good in college despite whatever flaws they had and once they get into the NFL,  they are exposed.  

 

 

This isn't about how good they were in college.  Goodness, you really need to read.  This is talking about mechanics of his throwing motion.  It's like looking at a RB and seeing if he made the correct reads in a ZBS scheme in college, not how well he did.  Or did a WR consistently beat a jam in college.

 

I never said anything about "look how impressive he was in college" I wanted people to specifically look at his motion and pocket presence/read progression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Courtesy of Rich Hribar. 

 

Percentage of total output since 2011 from the 4th quarter when team is trailing by at least 9 points:

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/LordReebs/status/792041285045538816/photo/1

 

The numbers don't lie.

 

 

Good stuff. I wonder why he chose 2011 though. Bortles wasn't in the league in 2011 and iirc garbage time wasn't a major issue back then.

 

I'm curious to see how the numbers would look if you ran them from 2014-present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2016 at 9:51 AM, Sternes said:

 

 

This isn't about how good they were in college.  Goodness, you really need to read.  This is talking about mechanics of his throwing motion.  It's like looking at a RB and seeing if he made the correct reads in a ZBS scheme in college, not how well he did.  Or did a WR consistently beat a jam in college.

 

I never said anything about "look how impressive he was in college" I wanted people to specifically look at his motion and pocket presence/read progression.

 

What is weird is that the windup was a big problem his rookie year and he fixed it in year 2. Now he's back to the windup again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blake Bortles is flying in outside consultant Adam Dedeaux to help work on his mechanics.
This seems like a job for the coaches the Jaguars pay to get their players ready, but the old QB coach, who failed to fix the issue during the first half of the season, is now running the offense. Bortles' delivery has seemingly gotten longer every week, and he is seriously struggling with accuracy. It will be difficult for Bortles to shake his bad habits during the season, but at least he is giving it a shot. Oct 31 - 12:18 PM
 
 
I'm not going to pretend to regularly follow QB coaches and who brings in specialists etc.  Myself being ignorant of what is or is not normal, this seems very strange to me on the surface. 
 
Doesn't this show a bizarre rift?  You can't trust your own coach to help you with this, he now calls the plays, you bring in an outsider? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 30, 2016 at 3:41 PM, hailtoyourvictor said:

 

What is weird is that the windup was a big problem his rookie year and he fixed it in year 2. Now he's back to the windup again.

 

Read his press clippings too much in the offseason instead of working to be good not just in garbage time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite looking terrible, he is still QB12 in average PPG. Hopefuly he can become a bit more consistent with that scoring in the second half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2016 at 1:11 PM, hailtoyourvictor said:

Despite looking terrible, he is still QB12 in average PPG. Hopefuly he can become a bit more consistent with that scoring in the second half.

 

Hi...I'm new here...Bortles just landed on my team (recovering Russell Wilson owner)...

 

As I was debating which WW QB to add (and the list is small and not very pretty) I ended on Bortles because, to me (and I do not watch the Jags at all) his NUMBERS look the same. 

 

Last season (when he ended as QB4) he avg 21.1 ppg. This season (albeit directly after a huge game) he's avg 19.2 and is QB7 (sorted by PPG). 

 

2015: 4428 YDS // 35 TD // 18 int // 310 ruYDS // 2 ruTD

2016: 4352 YDS // 27 TD // 20 int // 330 ruYDS // 2 ruTD <<< PACE

 

Garbage time or Prime time, I do not GaF...get me POINTS...I hope they're behind in every game I start Bortles (this week included). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2016 at 5:57 PM, Sternes said:
Blake Bortles is flying in outside consultant Adam Dedeaux to help work on his mechanics.
This seems like a job for the coaches the Jaguars pay to get their players ready, but the old QB coach, who failed to fix the issue during the first half of the season, is now running the offense. Bortles' delivery has seemingly gotten longer every week, and he is seriously struggling with accuracy. It will be difficult for Bortles to shake his bad habits during the season, but at least he is giving it a shot. Oct 31 - 12:18 PM
 
 
I'm not going to pretend to regularly follow QB coaches and who brings in specialists etc.  Myself being ignorant of what is or is not normal, this seems very strange to me on the surface. 
 
Doesn't this show a bizarre rift?  You can't trust your own coach to help you with this, he now calls the plays, you bring in an outsider? 

 

From the Jags board:

"I watched his press conference, I really like his energy. The thing that I noticed was he said something along the lines of "I relayed what Olson wanted to do to Blake"

That seems to make sense of Blake struggling and Hackett not seeming to have much impact as a QB Coach. His job was to tell Blake what Olson wanted him to do, not what Hackett may have thought was best for him. Also, the QB coach isn't on the sideline during the game I believe, so having someone out there who actually has a good relationship with him should do a lot.
"

and

"I caught that too. Could have just been the way he phrased it, but it seems pretty easy to read between the lines there and figure Hackett may have not been thrilled with what he was coaching Blake."

 

 

Granted Jags fans have to cling to some sort of hope, but maybe there is some truth to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Hackett wants to up the tempo. Bortles is much better out of the no huddle than he is out of the huddle. Maybe that will help and maybe it won't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It ain't pretty but he's QB6 in my league in PPG...Dropped RWil for him and paired w/ Carson Palmer as they have complimentary schedules IMO. 

 

He gets ya the running yards, and seems to not be afraid to chuck it late in the game. Ya watch the games thru yer fingers thinking "this was a terrible idea", but he has 4 of 8 games over 20 points and all of them in the double digits...Unlike guys like Manning and Wilson among others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am most certainly alone in this boat :)

 

For those looking for a shot in the dark (and BB is the highest ranked QB in my league not owned. QB #13 overall), the following is Bortles in 5 games vs TEN. (top row is 2 games in 2014, middle 2 in 2015, bottom row is his 1 game this year)

 

And he's also the highest projected (@ ~16) not presently owned. There are guys like Flacco, Dalton, Wentz, Savage, etc...still out there, but I stashed BB 2 weeks ago, thinking he had the best ceiling for this week. 

 

...I'm either going down in history, or in flames this week...we'll see. 

BB.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it popped up on the first page again, just decided to check at he close I was with my prediction of 10-13. Turns out I was pretty close. He's currently at 14 on ESPN standard leagues. Wonder if the resident Blake slap will try to spin this to him somehow being right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some "experts" dont even have this guy ranked. I'm starting over tyrod and winston abd not even worried. Experts place so much on name value its sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, yanksman said:

I own both bortles and ten defense so I'm confused

Potential Win-Win? 18 points from Bortles, but then his customary pick 6?

Potential lose-lose? Bortles plays really crappy, gets pulled and Henne (or that rookie) light up TEN?

 

My biggest concern here is the change in regime (well that, and I've seen Bortles throw the ball). I almost feel like the "there will be no change in QB" is the same as when Jeff Fisher gets a 2 years extension and then fired 8 days later. I fear that BB may be on a pretty short leash. And last time they played TEN, it took him until the last 15m+ to be worth anything. 

 

This has a chance to turn out really bad for sure, but the TEN D doesn't scare anyone, and Bortles plays well against them...AND the entire world is expecting an implosion (which really could occur). but during my looking ahead a few weeks back, and choosing from what was on the WW, Bortles was the winner (but last week was a new low for him, and ill timed for my purposes). 

 

I've decided I'm going with my 1st instinct these last 2 games and trying not to overthink it. If I tell myself "this is it", then there's no going round and round, and then beating myself up for getting it wrong. 

 

1 hour ago, ajlynema said:

Since it popped up on the first page again, just decided to check at he close I was with my prediction of 10-13. Turns out I was pretty close. He's currently at 14 on ESPN standard leagues. Wonder if the resident Blake slap will try to spin this to him somehow being right. 

I think yer prediction is spot on...Even after his train-wreck last week, he's QB 13 in my league (ahead of Ben, Winston, Flacco, Dalton). 

 

We're only playing for FUNds, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He sucks, most his production is garbage time. First 3 quarters I would bet his is the 33rd ranked QB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Sucks" or not, 4th quarter points still count in fantasy.  Tennessee is allowing the 4th most fantasy points this year to QBs, and in all likelihood the Jags will be down early and throwing it 50+ times again.  Bortles has had a tough stretch having to play Denver, Houston twice, Minnesota, etc. but in games against weaker D's he's put up the points.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.