Coach George

Dylan Cease - SP CWS

Cease is one of my many man crushes in the minors. I love to follow him.

I expected him to dominate this year but this is just ridiculous. I really hope I can take a road trip to see him at some point early this summer. Very exciting player for me. 

• Like 1

Prediction #1, Cease is promoted to A+ within the month. Prediction #2, he's a consensus top 50 guy at the mid way point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Prediction #1, Cease is promoted to A+ within the month. Prediction #2, he's a consensus top 50 guy at the mid way point.

They will really baby him along the way. He's had TJ surgery recently and he's shown some command issues. He's super young...so I imagine they won't be in a hurry to promote him. 

I do agree that he will fly up the prospect ranks very soon. I don't remember exactly but I think I had him inside my top 50 this offseason. I'm very high on Cease.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Coach George said:

They will really baby him along the way. He's had TJ surgery recently and he's shown some command issues. He's super young...so I imagine they won't be in a hurry to promote him. 

I do agree that he will fly up the prospect ranks very soon. I don't remember exactly but I think I had him inside my top 50 this offseason. I'm very high on Cease.

While I agree they wont throw him a ton of innings, there's very little to be gained by throwing to guys who obviously can't hit you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

While I agree they wont throw him a ton of innings, there's very little to be gained by throwing to guys who obviously can't hit you.

The minor leagues won't be able to hit him. That's not his enemy. He's pitching vs himself and his ability to command his pitches and not walk batters.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coach George said:

The minor leagues won't be able to hit him. That's not his enemy. He's pitching vs himself and his ability to command his pitches and not walk batters.

Agree with you there Coach.. He's got to figure out how to control his pitches better before he's ready for the next level, IMO... He's going to struggle more and more as he moves unless he starts consistently throwing strikes. Once he gets up to HiA ball and AA, hitters are more patient and less likely to chase.. I'd like to see CHI keep him in LoA for a while to keep refining his craft.  

Edited by JenksDodger

10 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Agree with you there Coach.. He's got to figure out how to control his pitches better before he's ready for the next level, IMO... He's going to struggle more and more as he moves unless he starts consistently throwing strikes. Once he gets up to HiA ball and AA, hitters are more patient and less likely to chase.. I'd like to see CHI keep him in LoA for a while to keep refining his craft.  

Exactly. He just doesn't have very much experience and I'm sure he's not 100% recovered from TJ surgery. The future is extremely bright, but the Cubs won't be in any hurry to accelerate his development.  He'll be handled with kid gloves.

• Like 1

Sounds like the change up is making significant progress as his third pitch.

I just saw Dylan Cease whiff Bichette and Vlad Jr. He threw his changeup, too and got VJ on it. It was the best I have seen him throw it.

I can't imagine Bichette and Vlad Jr have struck out back to back many times this year.

Finishes 5IP 3H 0ER 1BB 6K with only 68 pitches against a very good offense.

traded to the white sox - does this change anything significantly for him regarding ETA and/or pitching environments in the minors?

3 hours ago, Gus Chiggins said:

How do people view Cease right now? Is he a potential frontline starter?

I liken him to McCullers. Really good stuff with elite strikeout potential. Might have a lot of 6inning/9K/3BB performances.

I like him a lot and it seems like his stock is on the rise. Classic case of a talented player getting overlooked because his franchise (White Sox) is loaded with high-end prospects. 

I nabbed Cease as a bit of a throw-in this offseason in a deal for Mike Soroka, and feel pretty good about it. 

Edited by RotoBird

He’s been on my radar since I saw him pitch in spring training, just has overpowering stuff and it’s showing right now.

He should get promoted to AA soon and I think that’ll determine what his real potential is.  Right now it’s looking like he could definitely be a future 2/3 and his raw tools could allow him to be a true ace, but he has a long way to go for that.

2 hours ago, Gauthmann44 said:

Promoted to AA today. Any thoughts on this guy?

Seen him a few times. Electric 1-2 as has been described. I think he's right up there with Hansen and Lopez as far as the Sox young arms go (and just behind Dunning, who I'm more bullish on than most). Obviously Lopez has a leg up with ML success, but I see them all ending up as solid middle of the rotation arms or bullpen beasts depending on who gets pushed out of the rotation in a few years. Developing a good change probably keeps Cease a starter. Without it, I think he becomes a lights out set-up man or closer (though Burdi is still the obvious guy to pencil in as CL for the Sox of the future). 

AA will be a good test for him. 

• Thanks 1

Numbers in AA are looking good right now after a huge game last night: 28.2 IP,  42K : 11BB, 2.83 ERA, 1.05 WHIP

Is he on track to make the majors in 2019?

ERA down to 1.99. 12.8 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9. Needs to be promoted to AAA. If he does well there and continues dominating into 2019 he'll get a callup. Maybe even late April if no setbacks. 

Can't find anything as to why he only threw an inning last night. Is there an innings limit he's approaching?

My guess is that they just pulled him to play it safe because it was such a high stress inning (nearly 50 pitches).

Well he's clearly fine. Through 5 shutout innings and struck out 11 before the rain halted the game. He'll start 2019 in AAA and might be a good candidate for a midseason callup. He's like what we wanted Giolito to be (filthy FB/CB mix and good-enough command), just a few inches shorter. 

Probably the pitcher who's made the biggest jump for me this year. I had him pegged as a middle reliever with a shot at being a closing option. Now he's looking like a top 3-4 RHP prospect with legit #2/3 upside.  

On 8/23/2018 at 12:26 AM, sleepysock said:

Well he's clearly fine. Through 5 shutout innings and struck out 11 before the rain halted the game. He'll start 2019 in AAA and might be a good candidate for a midseason callup. He's like what we wanted Giolito to be (filthy FB/CB mix and good-enough command), just a few inches shorter. 

Probably the pitcher who's made the biggest jump for me this year. I had him pegged as a middle reliever with a shot at being a closing option. Now he's looking like a top 3-4 RHP prospect with legit #2/3 upside.  

one thing that stands out to me, the more I watch him, is how well he hides the ball. I think it really gets on hitters quickly and is hard to pick up.

He doesn't have the classic Mark Prior/Roger Clemens smooth delivery, but neither does Trevor Bauer. This guy gives hitters major trouble. Big riser in my eyes. 

Any chance we can retitle this "Dylan Cease - SP CHW"?

• Like 1

Cease has ceased to pitch?