Coach George

Dylan Cease - SP CWS

Another bad thing about being a Sox fan is that it influenced me to go ahead and pick him up in a redraft league.  Maybe all the guys on twitter are right and he’s just “bored” in the minors.  Makes no sense, but I’m willing to keep an open mind.

I've said before concerning all the ATL young SP's, who all have BB issues... as long as you are a high K kinda pitcher, you can get yourself out of trouble. The walks are infuriating, but almost better than pitch to contact guys who may have a similar WHIP, but giving up hit after hit, guys can go 1'st to 3'rd, and score from second on seeing eye ground balls. (That said, this HR surge is just dangerous each way because extra guys on base and ridiculous HR totals will end your day early regardless.) I'm optimistic on Cease, his stuff is certainly top notch, and maybe he shows well due to teams having never seen him for a couple months... but the BB problems will be directly tied to his long and short term success! An almost 5BB/9% simply won't cut it @ any level, and definitely when rockets fly out of that bandbox he will now call home. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

You’re absolutely correct.  A 9.00 ERA and a 2.25 WHIP would not qualify as “getting your brains beat in all month” as long as you’re limiting the extra-base hits.

As a Sox fan, I do appreciate your glass half-full perspective.

If it was me, I’d just let him work out the kinks in Triple A for the rest of the year.

Again, you are not applying context beyond looking at a stat line and drawing your conclusions. If half of the hits he game up were jam shots or ground balls with moderate exit velocity then I would not consider that getting your brains beat in and I would consider that a small sample size that just needs time to even out. I have clearly stated the walks are not good. I haven't watched tape of the games so I honestly don't know how misleading or accurate the era and whip results are. 

In terms of promotion...why not put him in the MLB and let him get experience? It isn't like he is being sheltered from the bouncy ball at the AAA level. Defense will be better at the MLB level. This has nothing to do with this year and should be everything to do with next year. If the Sox can roll out Gio, Cease, MK to go along with their offense + a couple more elite prospects getting the call this year they are a pretty interesting team next year. So I say let Cease come up and get a taste and have an offseason to adjust. He isn't "young" and super 2 has been past so control shouldn't be an issue. 

10 hours ago, LarryChip10 said:

I've said before concerning all the ATL young SP's, who all have BB issues... as long as you are a high K kinda pitcher, you can get yourself out of trouble. The walks are infuriating, but almost better than pitch to contact guys who may have a similar WHIP, but giving up hit after hit, guys can go 1'st to 3'rd, and score from second on seeing eye ground balls. (That said, this HR surge is just dangerous each way because extra guys on base and ridiculous HR totals will end your day early regardless.) I'm optimistic on Cease, his stuff is certainly top notch, and maybe he shows well due to teams having never seen him for a couple months... but the BB problems will be directly tied to his long and short term success! An almost 5BB/9% simply won't cut it @ any level, and definitely when rockets fly out of that bandbox he will now call home. 

He is at 4.21 bb/9 and he was around 3.65 last year. His GB% is up and his FIP is at 3.77 so it isn't all bad. 

I usually expect a regression after jumping a level until the player figures it out and makes adjustments. Repeat process until the player hits his peak at whatever level he reaches. Cease is going to get the chance to make adjustments at the MLB level. It isn't going to be smooth sailing and I am not entirely sure he is going to figure it out to be a good starter, but he has good stuff as you pointed out above. Strikeouts gives him a little more rope in real life to navigate baserunners while giving the fantasy community some upside. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Defense will be better at the MLB level.

While I can’t provide much context behind Dylan’s rough 9.00 ERA and 2.25 WHIP over his first 4 outings in June, I don’t think he’ll appreciate the White Sox defense too much.  :)

I don’t necessarily agree with throwing Cease into the fire and potentially destroying his confidence.  But he will be facing teams like DET, KC, MIA, etc this month.  Not a far cry from facing Triple A lineups, I suppose.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:37 PM, thezing1 said:

He is at 4.21 bb/9 and he was around 3.65 last year. His GB% is up and his FIP is at 3.77 so it isn't all bad. 

I usually expect a regression after jumping a level until the player figures it out and makes adjustments. Repeat process until the player hits his peak at whatever level he reaches. Cease is going to get the chance to make adjustments at the MLB level. It isn't going to be smooth sailing and I am not entirely sure he is going to figure it out to be a good starter, but he has good stuff as you pointed out above. Strikeouts gives him a little more rope in real life to navigate baserunners while giving the fantasy community some upside. 

All good points... just eluding to his BB/9 being similar this year to his entire 360+ INN in his MiLB career. It’s more than enough data to suggest a tempered long term outlook in the Biggs. Kid has all the talent, and is a Hoss body type, thus the easy (non max effort) gas, but the BB will haunt if he doesn’t get beyond said problem. I do like the fact he can talk to and learn from Giolitto. Perfect example of a talented guy who made changes to find success. I own Cease, I want to see him succeed... I’m just leery and willing to trade if someone wants to overpay.