I've said it already in this thread, but for the new people reading who don't want to read back, here's my take:

Peyton Manning is the greatest regular season QB of all time.

Tom Brady is the greatest overall, because his performance in the playoffs (not including wins, just stats) is better than Manning's. When you factor in career regular season stats and playoff performance, I give the nod (albeit slight) to Brady. Both are top 2 for me though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Tom Brady is the greatest overall, because his performance in the playoffs (not including wins, just stats) is better than Manning's.

Their playoff stats are nearly identical though.

3 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

They are, except for wins and losses. 22-9 for Brady, 14-13 for Manning. The argument that separates them is something like... Brady has more playoff wins and rings, and arguably has done more with less talent around him. 

1 hour ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I've said it already in this thread, but for the new people reading who don't want to read back, here's my take:

Peyton Manning is the greatest regular season QB of all time.

Tom Brady is the greatest overall, because his performance in the playoffs (not including wins, just stats) is better than Manning's. When you factor in career regular season stats and playoff performance, I give the nod (albeit slight) to Brady. Both are top 2 for me though.

Could not agree more about Brady overall or Peyton in the regular season.  

Overall, I would put Montana over Peyton, and just behind Brady.  People forget that he won his first 2 SB MVPs without Jerry Rice, and his last ring without Bill Walsh.  His performances when it mattered most (the Super Bowl) put Peyton's to shame.

On January 4, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Iron-cock said:

Because Manning wasn't chucking deep balls to Moss constantly.  Nobody on his team had that level of talent to get open deep.

:huh:

Moss 07'- 18 receptions of 20+, 9 receptions of 40+

DT 13'- 19 receptions of 20+. 5 receptions of 40+

Eric Decker 13'-19 receptions of 20+, 6 receptions of 40+

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

It's closer than I remember, but Brady's postseason stats are still better, even if not by much. 

I think if Brady can play a few more years at this level and close the gap on regular season yards and TDs, then more people will consider him the GOAT. He still has 100 fewer INTs in the regular season than Manning too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

It's closer than I remember, but Brady's postseason stats are still better, even if not by much. 

I think if Brady can play a few more years at this level and close the gap on regular season yards and TDs, then more people will consider him the GOAT. He still has 100 fewer INTs in the regular season than Manning too.

despite playing in far worse weather conditions the majority of his career with less talented weapons.  When did Brady ever play with a RB as good as E. James or Marshall Faulk in their primes like Peyton did?  And that's even if you throw out the WR disparity in both draft position and talent that both had to throw to. 

• Like 2

The best bet is just to retire from this debate.

Even if Brady does catch up with Manning in TDs and yards he'll have done so during the NFL's equivalent of baseball's steroid era---and the debate will rage on.

26 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

despite playing in far worse weather conditions the majority of his career with less talented weapons.  When did Brady ever play with a RB as good as E. James or Marshall Faulk in their primes like Peyton did?  And that's even if you throw out the WR disparity in both draft position and talent that both had to throw to. 

Peyton played with Marshall Faulk for one year. When Peyton was a 22-year-old rookie on a 3-13 team. It was 1998. And Peyton ended up throwing 28 INTs that year (71.2 QB rating).

I guess...shame on Peyton for not taking advantage of his lone year with Faulk and not throwing 40 TDs right?

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

58 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Peyton played with Marshall Faulk for one year. When Peyton was a 22-year-old rookie on a 3-13 team. It was 1998. And Peyton ended up throwing 28 INTs that year (71.2 QB rating).

I guess...shame on Peyton for not taking advantage of his lone year with Faulk and not throwing 40 TDs right?

The same Faulk who the VERY NEXT SEASON tore up the league on a team coming off a comparably bad 1998 with a supposedly far inferior QB -- the undrafted backup from Northern Iowa with no NFL career starts...

That backup sure had no problem maximizing Faulk while lighting up the league.  Peyton has ALWAYS been surrounded by elite weapons. 

Edited by joshua18
  • Like 1

how quickly so many forget that Peyton single handedly transformed the QB position forcing coaches to innovate their offenses and moved the NFL into a pass heavy league

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

how quickly so many forget that Montana single handedly transformed the QB position forcing coaches to innovate their offenses and moved the NFL into a pass heavy league

FTFY

I know its mentioned before in this thread, but damn does Drew Brees gets forgotten in the great QB debate. He most likely will break a few of those records Manning just set by the time he retires. Not to mention the man has never won an MVP. 

25 minutes ago, Justinrlstn said:

I know its mentioned before in this thread, but damn does Drew Brees gets forgotten in the great QB debate. He most likely will break a few of those records Manning just set by the time he retires. Not to mention the man has never won an MVP. 

Imagine if the Chargers kept Brees. They would have had Brees, Tomlinson, Gates all in their prime and likely would have had more success than they did with Rivers.

Peyton played for 2 teams 4  NFL Head Coaches and he still maintained his standard of excellence and winning.

Brady played for 1 coach and under 1 offense built around him for his entire career, having his hand held and every need catered to

i believe Brady could have never of been as great playing with another team and other coaches.

Peyton proved he is The System regardless of the coach or team or broken neck

He just wins

Peyton is The Goat

Edited by dashoe

Peyton played through adversity his entire career taking hits when his o-line was garbage in the early years, coaching changes, new teams, broken neck and lost physical skills.

Tom Brady has played through the adversity of 310 different hairstyles his wife chooses for him, his wife publicly going bad on his team after losing a super bowl, dumping a pregnant gf to date his current wife and getting smacked around by the NYG to lose 2 superbowls and watch  Eli hold the trophy. 

Peyton is The Goat Brady is an Almost Goat

Oh wait Brady and his team have been caught CHEATING multiple times. . . 

45 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Peyton played through adversity his entire career taking hits when his o-line was garbage in the early years, coaching changes, new teams, broken neck and lost physical skills.

Tom Brady has played through the adversity of 310 different hairstyles his wife chooses for him, his wife publicly going bad on his team after losing a super bowl, dumping a pregnant gf to date his current wife and getting smacked around by the NYG to lose 2 superbowls and watch  Eli hold the trophy. 

Peyton is The Goat Brady is an Almost Goat

I won't address the corny stuff in your garbage post – you obviously think it's cool, funny and creative, and it's not.

As for the "adversity" part...are you kidding?

Manning was the first overall pick and a highly touted prospect out of college.

Brady had to fight to even start at Michigan despite being the best option. Then, he was drafted 199th overall, worked his way up the NE depth chart, got the starting job and got better EVERY YEAR of his career.

Look, I get it. Your name is "dashoe" so you're probably a huge Colts fan reminiscing about the glory days when your team didn't suck. But to say that Peyton has had more adversity than Brady (who also overcame a torn ACL in his career) is a huge reach and one that I don't think anyone would agree with you on. 

The problem I have with you is you can't even acknowledge Brady's rise to greatness and how much work it took for him to get to where he is today. You can call him a pretty boy, a cheater, and make fun of his personal life, but I don't know many that would question his work ethic and everything he had to overcome to get to where he is today. 

You should at least respect that. 

2 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I won't address the corny stuff in your garbage post – you obviously think it's cool, funny and creative, and it's not.

As for the "adversity" part...are you kidding?

Manning was the first overall pick and a highly touted prospect out of college.

Brady had to fight to even start at Michigan despite being the best option. Then, he was drafted 199th overall, worked his way up the NE depth chart, got the starting job and got better EVERY YEAR of his career.

Look, I get it. Your name is "dashoe" so you're probably a huge Colts fan reminiscing about the glory days when your team didn't suck. But to say that Peyton has had more adversity than Brady (who also overcame a torn ACL in his career) is a huge reach and one that I don't think anyone would agree with you on. 

The problem I have with you is you can't even acknowledge Brady's rise to greatness and how much work it took for him to get to where he is today. You can call him a pretty boy, a cheater, and make fun of his personal life, but I don't know many that would question his work ethic and everything he had to overcome to get to where he is today. 

You should at least respect that. 

I think Tom Brady is a great QB and after that very long diatribe of yours  Peyton is  still The GOAT.

Just now, dashoe said:

I think Tom Brady is a great QB and after that very long diatribe of yours  Peyton is  still The GOAT.

I think Manning is a great QB too, but your opinion that your precious Peyton has overcome more adversity than Brady and Brady has been given everything to him is one of the worst takes I've ever read on these boards. In fact, you have it completely opposite. But whatever made up narrative you want to create in your own mind to build up PM, by all means, go ahead. Just be expected to get called out on it hard if you post that nonsense here.

2 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I think Manning is a great QB too, but your opinion that your precious Peyton has overcome more adversity than Brady and Brady has been given everything to him is one of the worst takes I've ever read on these boards. In fact, you have it completely opposite. But whatever made up narrative you want to create in your own mind to build up PM, by all means, go ahead. Just be expected to get called out on it hard if you post that nonsense here.

Hmmm maybe in your self induced mad froth you didn't catch what i said.

Peyton has faced and overcome more adversity than Tom Brady in his entire career.  Learning behind a pro bowl  and super bowl QB called  Bledose; taking over a team that was built to go to the superbowl; being nurtured and having a team built around you by a multi playoff/superbowl coach in Belicheck;  oh and a torn ACL  vs  a broken neck are u kidding me? give me the ACL every single day vs a neck injury.

Peyton is The GOAT!!

you respect that my friend!!!

I didn't follow NFL that much during both prime years, I know the Colt were very successful during Manning's time there. Out of curiosity how were they on defense? The Pats have always seemed to have pretty good defense. How much of the Colts success built around Manning, vs how much of the Pats success built around Brady? I have no idea I am honestly asking a question? Drew Brees for an example always has to keep his foot on the accelerator but they always seem to be a TD away from winning or losing. Pressing like that leads to making some passes he normally wouldn't make given Brees solid completion percent.

31 minutes ago, Justinrlstn said:

I didn't follow NFL that much during both prime years, I know the Colt were very successful during Manning's time there. Out of curiosity how were they on defense? The Pats have always seemed to have pretty good defense. How much of the Colts success built around Manning, vs how much of the Pats success built around Brady? I have no idea I am honestly asking a question? Drew Brees for an example always has to keep his foot on the accelerator but they always seem to be a TD away from winning or losing. Pressing like that leads to making some passes he normally wouldn't make given Brees solid completion percent.

I place Brees ahead of Brady as far as QB skill but problem is the ring counters don't want to give him credit. 

Brees played through more adversity than Brady his and is literally the glue of that franchise to keep them competitive