Montana does belong in this conversation. But those late 80's early 90's teams were a product of money. At that point however, he had already won 2 rings. I guess I'm pointing fingers at Steve Young. 

Brady is definitely one of the all time greats. Most QB's in this conversation have a "yeah...but" attached to them. Brady's teams went 11-5 without him and 3-1 without him (14-6) record. But that's just poking holes. He has put up a string of monster seasons dating back to 2007. 

When it's all said and done I hope Brees at least gets a shoutout in this conversation. Brees has all the numbers he needs to be in this conversation. But lacks multiple rings and hasn't won an MVP. Though, it was highway robbery that he didn't win in 2009. And didn't win in 2011 when he: set an NFL record for passing yards, led the league in TD passes, led the league in completion percentage and posted a 13-3 record. He lost the award to a different QB.....

Manning tops Brady as a modern era QB.

He won with 2 different teams and came back from what was considered a career ending injury.

He was also able to manage an offense to a title when he clearly had subpar physical skills. 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2016 at 5:27 AM, Tenner said:

When it's all said and done I hope Brees at least gets a shoutout in this conversation.

it took me a while to fully appreciate Brees, but man, he is money.

it is probably his build or general look or something. but it doesn't get much better than him. Great, great quarterback. 

as for the Brady/Manning thing, why can't we just appreciate both? I don't think we will ever see another QB quite like Manning. Brady has the titles, but he also had a far better system. Brady has also aged like a fine wine... he doesn't seem much different in 2016 than he was 10 years ago. It's remarkable.

Hypothetically, if all the best players of all time were playing a pickup game (in their primes) I'd choose prime Manning before prime Brady. I simply believe he can do more with less. I'm not sure he is the brightest guy in most areas of life, but he is a football genius. His greatest tool was his mind.

Trying to think of modern NBA comparisons, you could say Tom Brady is Tim Duncan and Peyton Manning is Lebron James (prior to his 2nd and 3rd titles). Duncan (Brady) is less transcendent as an individual player, but he's got the rings. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1

Belichick might be the greatest head coach of all time. Despite being a terrible sport and bending the rules any way he can, he's dominating a league with a salary cap that wants parity. Yes, there are  plenty of quarterbacks that would flourish in the Patriots system but Brady makes them run on methemphetamine. If anybody is surprised by what Tom Brady is doing right now you haven't been paying attention. Goodell tried to embarrass him and now the rest of the league will pay the price.

Hard to compare eras because the game is different and the rules are different.  More of a passing league now, and you can't hit the quarterback.

Manning and Brady are both very good, but Joe Montana in his prime was supernatural.

This season puts this debate to rest. More so if it ends with a Super Bowl win.

Brady is good but that system makes him great. We've seen it several times (Matt Castle and Jimmy G).  Manning on this one. OMAHA!!!

On November 6, 2016 at 9:47 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

Hard to compare eras because the game is different and the rules are different.  More of a passing league now, and you can't hit the quarterback.

Manning and Brady are both very good, but Joe Montana in his prime was supernatural.

Even in his prime, Montana was not an ironman -- his best season (1989) he missed 3 games. 

'Montana does belong in this conversation.'

You quite frankly have no idea what you're talking about.

2 hours ago, LeeVanCleef said:

Brady is good but that system makes him great. We've seen it several times (Matt Castle and Jimmy G).  Manning on this one. OMAHA!!!

NE may be able to fleece a team this offseason trading Jimmy G due to their system. Belichick and Brady are tied at the hip. One can't be great without the other.

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

This season puts this debate to rest. More so if it ends with a Super Bowl win.

What did Brady do this year that so impressive? I mean, it was a great year, but it was just like all of Brady's other great years.

6 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

What did Brady do this year that so impressive? I mean, it was a great year, but it was just like all of Brady's other great years.

28 TDs

2 INTs

Best ratio ever

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

28 TDs

2 INTs

Best ratio ever

Yep. It was only the most efficient season a QB has ever had. Granted, it was only 12 games, but yeah. Nothing special. :lol:

Just now, Dislimb said:

Yep. It was only the most efficient season a QB has ever had. Granted, it was only 12 games, but yeah. Nothing special. :lol:

In the easiest climate/environment for QBs ever...

11 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

28 TDs

2 INTs

Best ratio ever

In his age 39 season

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

With no Pro Bowl receivers, TEs or RBs most of the year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

You're right. It's totally easy to do which is why a ton of other guys have done it. Oh, wait...

11 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Why is it more efficient than Aaron Rodgers' 2011 season?

Edited by Evincar

1 minute ago, Evincar said:

Why is it more efficient than Aaron Rodgers' 2011 season?

14:1 TD/INT ratio

I personally like Rodgers more than Brady (and Manning for that matter) from a fan perspective, but throwing only 2 INTs in 12 full games is pretty insane. I do think Rodgers' 2011 season was the GOAT as far as QB seasons go when you include the rushing, etc. but that is irrelevant in this particular thread.

This is a Brady vs. Manning thread after all.

2 hours ago, LeeVanCleef said:

So why doesn't every team run that 'system'?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

So why doesn't every team run that 'system'?

Hmm I don't know...maybe because they don't have Belichick?

Just now, LeeVanCleef said:

Hmm I don't know...maybe because they don't have Belichick?

Yet they have 17 seasons worth of game film of his offensive system to study/copy/etc.

You're one of the best posters on this forum, but in my personal opinion you're way off base on this particular subject. And don't let the Gronk avatar fool you, I'm in no way, shape or form a Pats fan (just a Gronk fan since I have him in dynasty) but I give credit where it's due. And in Brady/Belichick's case, it certainly is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

14:1 TD/INT ratio

I personally like Rodgers more than Brady (and Manning for that matter) from a fan perspective, but throwing only 2 INTs in 12 full games is pretty insane. I do think Rodgers' 2011 season was the GOAT as far as QB seasons go when you include the rushing, etc. but that is irrelevant in this particular thread.

This is a Brady vs. Manning thread after all.

You realize Matt Ryan has a better QB rating than Brady this year right?