Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

33legend

Weekly Prospect Top 10

I thought this is a good idea for a thread. (Mods-hopefully this belongs and there isn't a duplicate thread somewhere else).

Many sites put out a weekly Top 10 as to who they believe will have the most value from a PROSPECT FANTASY perspective for the rest of the year. I thought it would be kind've fun to have a spot where our members can put their own opinions as to what their TOP 10's are.

Let's face it, the best posters here are more knowledgeable than the vast majority of the "experts." I would love to people update their list on a week to week basis. If there was enough participation we could even do an average from all the lists placed.

The guidelines for the list:

1.Players listed must be in the minor leagues

2.The must have prospect status (Less than 130 ABs or 50 IP)

3.List delves into FANTASY VALUE for the REMAINDER of 2016

4.Please list player name, franchise, position

5.Any extra analysis is always welcome

If there is enough participation, I could certainly average them out and accumulate a bigger list.

Anyway, maybe this could work? (Admittedly, I'm selfishly trying to start it to get more info-but I'll enjoy participating as well). If anyone has any other thoughts that would make it better I'm all ears. But I think it has the potential to be a lot of fun.

Admittedly, I'm not a great prospect whiz like some here are, but I'll get my list out to get the ball rolling...

1.Tyler Glasnow- SP- PITT

2. Blake Snell- SP- TB

3. AJ Reed- 1B- Hou

4. Lucas Giolito- SP- Wash

5. Trea Turner- SS- Wash

6. Jameson Taillion- SP- Pitt

7. Joey Gallo- OF- Tex

8. Orlando Arcia- SS- Mil

9. Nick Williams- OF- Phil

10.Tim Anderson- SS- CWS

Good thread idea! Will be cool to see the different perspectives from everyone.

*My list, mostly derived from when I think they will be called up and what the depth chart looks like right now.. and obviously performance once they arrive.

1) AJ Reed, 1B - HOU

2) Blake Snell, SP - TB

3) Orlando Arcia, SS - MIL

4) Robert Stephenson, SP - CIN

5) Mike Clevinger, SP - CLE

6) Jameson Tallion, SP - PIT (just have a feeling he's going to be up before Glasnow.. Hope that's not the case)

7) Joey Gallo, 3B/OF - TEX

8) Trea Turner, SS - WAS

9) Tyler Glasnow, SP - PIT

10) Jose De Leon, SP - LAD

I like it, i don't know that averaging is necessary since the posts don't disappear

1) AJ Reed

2) Blake Snell

3) Trea Turner

I'd like to think those are the top 3 in some order.

I love this idea. While the list shouldn't change every week, crowdsourcing the information should be good. My list (I'm more of an NL-guy, so will probably bias there):

1. Trea Turner. Almost guaranteed to be a starting SS soon. Could be a Dee Gordon-type (a little less speed).

2. AJ Reed. Who else are they gonna play at 1B?

3. Jameson Taillon. Looks amazing so far.

4. Nick Williams. The only reason for him not to succeed is if Philly holds him down for playing time reasons.

5. Tyler Glasnow. Although PIT could pull a C-Mart on him and make him a power bullpen arm in the second half.

6. Josh Bell. Not a Jaso believer.

7. Joey Gallo. Just based on the upside.

8. Willson Contreras. Montero may be out for a long, long time, and David Ross is not the answer.

9. Blake Snell. Walks are troubling, looks great otherwise.

10. Lucas Giolito. But he needs an injury to get a rotation spot.

1) Tallion - He's been throwing gems and he gets the call before Glasnow, No doubt about that.

2) Moncanda - he is laying waste to A ball, it's just not fair. Put him in AA already for crying out loud.

3) Snell- only because he's getting the call next week. He got lit up today.

4) Glasnow- pitching well but still has mechanical work to do, he'll be up but not until July or August

5) Benenditi- guy can rake and has wheels. He should be the #1 prospect in no time and could get the call this year.

6) Robles- Sky looks to be the limit, he's en fuego and actually he should be ranked as a co #1 with Tallion on this list.

7) Jose Deleon- looks terrific and could be the #3 in Los Angeles by July.

8)Yusniel Diaz- don't look now but this young Cuban could turn out to be what we hoped Puig would be.

Not too talk down any of these list but I like more of the one from Ben Edelman than bigbossman. I agree with a ton of insight from bossman like that Robles and Benenditi are going to be awesome.. But those guys are a few years out and I like how I believe Edelman was going more towards ranking that guys that should be coming up this season in order of how soon they are coming up and impact overall.

I love this idea. While the list shouldn't change every week, crowdsourcing the information should be good. My list (I'm more of an NL-guy, so will probably bias there):

1. Trea Turner. Almost guaranteed to be a starting SS soon. Could be a Dee Gordon-type (a little less speed).

2. AJ Reed. Who else are they gonna play at 1B?

3. Jameson Taillon. Looks amazing so far.

4. Nick Williams. The only reason for him not to succeed is if Philly holds him down for playing time reasons.

5. Tyler Glasnow. Although PIT could pull a C-Mart on him and make him a power bullpen arm in the second half.

6. Josh Bell. Not a Jaso believer.

7. Joey Gallo. Just based on the upside.

8. Willson Contreras. Montero may be out for a long, long time, and David Ross is not the answer.

9. Blake Snell. Walks are troubling, looks great otherwise.

10. Lucas Giolito. But he needs an injury to get a rotation spot.

If you guys are stashing a bat from Bell or Nick Williams.. Who you got? I haven't seen any pop from Bell even though scouts say it's coming and Nick Williams hasn't really done a ton power/speed wise to make me think he will be a huge impact guy

Not too talk down any of these list but I like more of the one from Ben Edelman than bigbossman. I agree with a ton of insight from bossman like that Robles and Benenditi are going to be awesome.. But those guys are a few years out and I like how I believe Edelman was going more towards ranking that guys that should be coming up this season in order of how soon they are coming up and impact overall.

Agreed, I was making my own 'hot list' based on who's been making waves in the minors and not based on who will be called up next.

Not making a list since you guys made very good ones already. Just throwing out two other names to ask if they might make it up sooner than later given their teams' current needs.

Aaron Judge (OF-NYY) - kind of forgotten these days amonst the newer, more shinning prospects. But given the Yankees are terrible and both Beltran's bat and body seem to be pooping out by May, any chance New York gets desperate enough to call this guy up any time soon?

Frances Martes (SP-Hou) - I assumed originally this guy wouldn't be up until next year but then read some experts thought this year. Now, given how bad the Astros' starters are right now, is he next guy up especially if the guy with the last name starting with a D (blanking here totally and it is too late to look it up tonight) who is being given starts can't hack it?

I was kind of hoping Judge would get a call up for a spark with the Yankees hitting being so pathetic and with ARod just hitting the DL...you could put judge in RF and DH Beltran every day

Michael (Florida): Is there a logical reason for the Nationals to keep Trea Turner in AAA? Espinosa just isn't cutting it and frankly I don't understand why they thought he ever would be anything more than a band aid.

Ben Badler: They’re keeping him in the minors to delay his service clock and gain an extra year of team control over him. Turner had 45 days of service time at the end of last season, so to get that additional year of team control, they’re going to have to wait roughly another month to call him up.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/ba-prospects-chat/#f7uoGUoTiMhJPEhq.99

Looks like Turner will be in the minors a bit longer..

Not making a list since you guys made very good ones already. Just throwing out two other names to ask if they might make it up sooner than later given their teams' current needs.

Aaron Judge (OF-NYY) - kind of forgotten these days amonst the newer, more shinning prospects. But given the Yankees are terrible and both Beltran's bat and body seem to be pooping out by May, any chance New York gets desperate enough to call this guy up any time soon?

Frances Martes (SP-Hou) - I assumed originally this guy wouldn't be up until next year but then read some experts thought this year. Now, given how bad the Astros' starters are right now, is he next guy up especially if the guy with the last name starting with a D (blanking here totally and it is too late to look it up tonight) who is being given starts can't hack it?

Martes has been terrible at AA this year, he's not coming up any time soon.

I would think Musgrove is ahead of Martes is the pecking order. McCullers will likely take a spot in the rotation before either of them provided he doesnt have another setback.

Admittedly, I'm not a great prospect whiz like some here are, but I'll get my list out to get the ball rolling...

2. Blake Snell- SP- TB

3. AJ Reed- 1B- Hou

5. Trea Turner- SS- Wash

7. Joey Gallo- OF- Tex

10.Tim Anderson- SS- CWS

Got to put Arcia and Tallion above Giolito at this point. Giolito doesn't look like a call up at all at this point. Check his last 3 starts. I'd almost put Tallion above Glasnow for age consideration and his recent dominance. Snell is interesting, had a better MLB start than AAA start, command issues yesterday. I wonder if they are going to move Ramirez back into the rotation? The guy has done nothing to get demoted to the pen, my guess is the Rays are going to move one or two of those arms to beef up that pretty bad offense they are running out. That should open a spot for Snell at some point. (Cobb is also coming back at some point).

Just to make sure this list stays valuable, the goal here is essentially to pick prospects that a.) will likely be up at some point in 2016 and b.) will likely be good for the period of their call-up.

For example, while everyone loves Moncada and Urias as prospects, they almost certainly don't make it to the majors this year and if they do, it would not likely occur before a September call-up. Therefore, he would need to be a simply game-breaking player to beat out the other players ahead of him. Similarly, guys like Giolito who have both struggled and have MLB competition (Roark) that has been pretty solid may be a little delayed. Alternatively, a guy like Nick Williams may not be as talented as someone like Robles, but he's much closer to contributing and has 0 competition other than the service clock.

My top 10 right now would be:

1. AJ Reed - Power bat in a year where 1B is so-so. Good ballpark, good line-up. Likely slides nicely into 5-6 hole to start.

2. Blake Snell - Already been up, looked solid, nothing left to prove in minors

3. Jameson Taillon - age and injury history probably make him more likely once Pirates convinced of consistency

4. Trea Turner - would be number 1 without Baker; Speed is a commodity these days

5. Orlando Arcia - Villar's play probably makes this a little trickier, but JV probably just replaces A. Hill

6. Tyler Glasnow - would be higher if not for Taillon. Hard to recall 2 rookies at the same time

7. Nick Williams - least talented so far [imo as a Phils fan], but clearest path

8. Mike Clevinger - Solid, but not spectacular talent. Seems pretty close to ready for Cleveland

9. Lucas Giolito - Being honest, can see this going the way of Appel, but I trust some of the scouts and Nats will need an arm

10. Jesse Winker - Some pop. Will have a job in a good ballpark and a decent lineup

HM: Gallo (saw the injury and has a problematic path, but potential huge fantasy impact if he finds a spot)

Crawford (If Phillies hanging around in a month, could get interesting here)

Peraza (probably pretty close, but not sure I like the talent enough)

Great list Oswald.

Another HM I'd like to note

Peter O'Brien - Leads the minors in HR's, already tasted the bigs last year - downside is he might have trouble finding consistent playing time when called upon

Just to make sure this list stays valuable, the goal here is essentially to pick prospects that a.) will likely be up at some point in 2016 and b.) will likely be good for the period of their call-up.

For example, while everyone loves Moncada and Urias as prospects, they almost certainly don't make it to the majors this year and if they do, it would not likely occur before a September call-up. Therefore, he would need to be a simply game-breaking player to beat out the other players ahead of him. Similarly, guys like Giolito who have both struggled and have MLB competition (Roark) that has been pretty solid may be a little delayed. Alternatively, a guy like Nick Williams may not be as talented as someone like Robles, but he's much closer to contributing and has 0 competition other than the service clock.

1. AJ Reed - Power bat in a year where 1B is so-so. Good ballpark, good line-up. Likely slides nicely into 5-6 hole to start.

3. Jameson Taillon - age and injury history probably make him more likely once Pirates convinced of consistency

4. Trea Turner - would be number 1 without Baker; Speed is a commodity these days

5. Orlando Arcia - Villar's play probably makes this a little trickier, but JV probably just replaces A. Hill

6. Tyler Glasnow - would be higher if not for Taillon. Hard to recall 2 rookies at the same time

7. Nick Williams - least talented so far [imo as a Phils fan], but clearest path

8. Mike Clevinger - Solid, but not spectacular talent. Seems pretty close to ready for Cleveland

9. Lucas Giolito - Being honest, can see this going the way of Appel, but I trust some of the scouts and Nats will need an arm

10. Jesse Winker - Some pop. Will have a job in a good ballpark and a decent lineup

HM: Gallo (saw the injury and has a problematic path, but potential huge fantasy impact if he finds a spot)

i really like the list here.. Confused a little on how Josh bell doesn't crack it

Also like the chances of Musgrove getting the call to pitch in Houston at some point.

i really like the list here.. Confused a little on how Josh bell doesn't crack it

I still have some skepticism about the how Bell's power translates in the short term. I know that his ISO is up to .184 so far this year, but he's only 1 year removed from a .120 at AA and a .157 at AAA. I firmly believe he grows into more power, but my concern is that he's more Yonder Alonso or Joe Mauer THIS YEAR. In future years, I think he will be a legitimate 4 cat threat.

2. Blake Snell- SP- TB

3. AJ Reed- 1B- Hou

5. Trea Turner- SS- Wash

7. Joey Gallo- OF- Tex

10.Tim Anderson- SS- CWS

Got to put Arcia and Tallion above Giolito at this point. Giolito doesn't look like a call up at all at this point. Check his last 3 starts. I'd almost put Tallion above Glasnow for age consideration and his recent dominance. Snell is interesting, had a better MLB start than AAA start, command issues yesterday. I wonder if they are going to move Ramirez back into the rotation? The guy has done nothing to get demoted to the pen, my guess is the Rays are going to move one or two of those arms to beef up that pretty bad offense they are running out. That should open a spot for Snell at some point. (Cobb is also coming back at some point).

Agreed about Giolito as I had him too high-though in fairness it was before he got knocked around this week.