Phina11y

Dylan Cozens - OF PHI

CozensPOW480270.jpg

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/05/13/cozens-power-on-display-at-double-a-reading/

6'6'', 235lb, 21 years old, 2nd round draft pick of the Phillies in 2012.

His current numbers in AA: .287AVG, 10HR, 10 2B, 25R, 26RBI, 9SB, 18BB, .949OPS in 136AB. His power is finally arriving after being drafted out of high school. He had a career high of 16HR in 2014, but he also has surprising speed for someone who is 6'6''. He had 20SB in 420AB last season.

Left handed hitter with a ton of raw power. During his senior season he broke the Arizona home run record with 19 HRs including a walk off in the state championship. In the field, Cozens currently has the arm and range to play right field. He has played both RF/LF this year in AA. I think he has a chance to make it to the MLB in the 2nd half of the season and if not, should compete for a job in spring training next year.

• Like 1

From CBS on May 13th:

Phillies' Dylan Cozens: Home runs in five of last six games at Double-A

Cozens, 21, has homered in five of the last six games for Double-A Reading.

Cozens now leads the Eastern League in dingers with 10 this season. He has already surpassed his total from a season ago, and is on pace to shatter his career high of 16 home runs set in 2014. At 6-foot-6, 235-lbs, it is possible that Cozens has finally found his power stroke. It is worth noting he has also stolen nine bases this season.

Good stuff yall.

From what I can tell, he should be a top-200 prospect heading into next season.

.280ish average, pace for 25+ homers, all in his age-22 season is awesome. Add his physical size and tools, not to mention 2nd round draft pedigree, adds up nicely.

One thing I'd watch for is his K%. He's still striking out over a quarter of the time but the fact that he's walking at a better than 10% rate is really good and shows promise. The K-rate is less concerning if he's getting on base 35% of the time and slugging .500+ as he is this season at AA.

Good stuff yall.

From what I can tell, he should be a top-200 prospect heading into next season.

I think for fantasy baseball, he's a top 100 prospect right now.

At best he gets a cup of coffee this year? What does the Phillies OF situation look like? Any chance at this year or starting next year?

Hit another home run last night. Opposite field. Number 13. But I doubt the Phillies are going to bring him up this year.

Maybe in Sept when rosters expand. But more than likely looking at next year.

Hmmm, interesting. The K's don't concern much, if the power is showing up. Just wonder how he handles lefties?

Hmmm, interesting. The K's don't concern much, if the power is showing up. Just wonder how he handles lefties?

vs. L .278/.528/.853 in 36 AB

Last year .233/.357/.664 in 129 AB at A+, much better in AA small SS. Book is still out.

• Like 1

Excited to see this guy making a name for himself again. Prospect fatigue kinda kept him off the radar for a while, but he's back with a vengeance,13 bombs! Huge man too, 6'6" 235. I don't think the speed is remotely legit, but the power is interesting. Maybe he's an Aaron Judge type.

I like Odubel Herrera in that outfield, and maybe Nick Williams, Roman Quinn, Aaron Altherr...but Cozens has to be right there as well. For fantasy I like his potential more than all of them not named Odubel. And I know Nick Williams has a lot of hype.

Since having his 11-game hit streak snapped last Thursday, Cozens has gone 6 for 23 (.261) with three doubles, three homers and 11 RBIs in his last six games.

The season numbers for the giant lefty are startling: 16 doubles, 14 home runs, 44 RBIs, 10SB, 24BB in 51 games. Cozens leads the Eastern League in homers and slugging percentage (.569) and is second in doubles and OPS. Cozens is just 21, but he's powering himself up to Triple A. His success is adding intrigue to the Phillies' future outfield picture.

Edited by Phina11y

Go pick this guy up now.  2 HR tonight to get to 19.  Close to .300 BA. 

He's killing the ball.  You want someone who's going to make a surprise appearnce on top 100 list in July, it's this guy.

I have a feeling that he will be a 1B/OF type.

Remember ages ago I owned Adam Duvall in dynasty and let him get away. In OBP/SLG so I might as well keep the big power.

This guy could be a 30+ HR masher easy.

2 hours ago, Baumer24 said:

So is this guy gonna make an impact soon?

I don't think anyone here can tell you that.  He's caught the attention of the big club manager, who did acknowledge that his park is a hitter's park.  So they'll probably at some point want to see him for an extended period in AAA.  If I had to guess, maybe a September call up to see what he can do.  

But I don't guess cause I'm always wrong.  I picked Schebler over Duvall, thought Tommy Joseph was just a really mature AAAA bat, said Drury had staying power more than Story...list goes on.  

But it if you're in a dynasty league, there's no doubt in my mind you want Cozens on your roster.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Whats the deal with the steals? 

seinfeld_jerry.jpg

Don't expect them to translate to MLB steals. Anything he gives you there is gravy.

Just noticed this guys stats, 25 HR 80 RBI 17 steals through .350 at bats in AA.  Striking out a lot at close to 30%, but also walking 12%.  

George Springer potential?

2 hours ago, The Dirtdog said:

Just noticed this guys stats, 25 HR 80 RBI 17 steals through .350 at bats in AA.  Striking out a lot at close to 30%, but also walking 12%.  

George Springer potential?

Nah...although Springer isn't much of a steals threat anymore.

Think we're expecting too much. Scouts seem to still have so much pessimism regarding his swing. There's some biases in the industry towards non top prospects but it's still worth noting.

17 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Nah...although Springer isn't much of a steals threat anymore.

Think we're expecting too much. Scouts seem to still have so much pessimism regarding his swing. There's some biases in the industry towards non top prospects but it's still worth noting.

Pretty sure Springer had just as big of a hole in his swing when he was Cozens age..  Dude just turned 22. Not everything is gonna come together at once...

been a while here, but well worth a bump with his night tonight.

4-5, 3HR, 7 RBI and a SB

That's 30 HR for the year now, and 18 SB

1 hour ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

been a while here, but well worth a bump with his night tonight.

4-5, 3HR, 7 RBI and a SB

That's 30 HR for the year now, and 18 SB

That's insane. Time for AAA