fawkes_mulder

Fernando Romero - SP MIN

Thanks for the article Fawkes.. 

This is what I like to hear, right here.. 

"He hits 100 [mph with the fastball], his slider is 90 and he has a change he can throw on any count," Smith said. "Plus, the way he competes is off the charts."

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

wonder if he sees any Double A this year? Im guessing not and the season is over soon.

Yeah, probably not.. but on the current schedule he's on, he could get in two starts with Chattanooga.. Unfortunately, they won't be making the playoffs, or it would've been possible that he'd be brought up for a playoff start or two if needed. 

Very efficient too, 87 pitches through 7, with 60 strikes. Also encouraging was a 7-1 gb/fb ratio. Would love to see him move up to face some tougher competition, but gotta love what we're seeing so far.

28 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

wonder if he sees any Double A this year? Im guessing not and the season is over soon.

I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was fast-tracked next year. Not like the Twins' rotation is stacked.

Not seeing him fast tracked next season since this is his first season back from surgery. Today's start puts him at 90.1 ip for the season. Late late 2017? perhaps, but I believe they'll bring him along slowly with eyes on '18, could be wrong, but I'd personally like to see them allow him to build up arm strength and innings for the long haul. Minn doesn't look like they'll contend in 17, just my 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, FISH ON said:

Not seeing him fast tracked next season since this is his first season back from surgery. Today's start puts him at 90.1 ip for the season. Late late 2017? perhaps, but I believe they'll bring him along slowly with eyes on '18, could be wrong, but I'd personally like to see them allow him to build up arm strength and innings for the long haul. Minn doesn't look like they'll contend in 17, just my 2 cents.

I could see that too, honestly. I forgot about the injury and wanting to build up arm strength. That does make sense. Having said that, if he's dominant again next year in AA, a mid-season callup might not be that far-fetched.

looks like the Twins might ... just might have some solid SPs in the pipeline with Romero, Gonsalves and Jay.

A possibility, but looking at his total ip since 2012, 170ish or so, give or take a few innings, this is the most he's pitched. Realistically, seeing the recent babying trend with SP's returning from TJ, could see them cap him around 120ish next season, with a late season call, bp perhaps? would hate to see that, but he'd get a cup at least in that scenario. Call him up around May/June '18 to play the control game,and let him rip from then on, this is if everything goes accordingly or as hoped..dynasty gold so far, fingers crossed he stays healthy.

Edited by FISH ON
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, FISH ON said:

Yah I cosign that, don't think many would disagree.  

That's correct:

Fernando Romero, rhp, Twins. In what was his final start of the season because of a Twins-imposed innings limit, Romero did not hold back. The Twins’ No. 8 prospect at midseason threw seven shutout innings to cap his 2016 season—and his return from Tommy John surgery—in high Class A Fort Myers’ 1-0 win over Palm Beach (Cardinals). Romero struck out nine and was a combined 9-3, 1.89 with 90 strikeouts in 90.1 innings. Romero has a power arm with an above-average curveball and potentially plus changeup.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/baseball-america-prospect-report-aug-26/#8ovU87V0AC7UHxHm.97

21 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Well damn, I would imagine we are looking at 125-135 innings max next year.. So most likely AA all year long. 

Thats not much difference in innings than we are getting out of someone like de Leon or Urias this year. Either way, only being in A ball hell most likely not be in the majors next year and if so, it will be brief at best.

Not than many minor leaguers are projected to go above 170 for example, so next years innings projection isn't a big deal at all.

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Thats not much difference in innings than we are getting out of someone like de Leon or Urias this year. Either way, only being in A ball hell most likely not be in the majors next year and if so, it will be brief at best.

Not than many minor leaguers are projected to go above 170 for example, so next years innings projection isn't a big deal at all.

Wasn't saying it was a big deal, I was responding to the fact that it was his last game this year. I was hoping he'd give it a go two more times. 

Edited by JenksDodger

Comment from BA on the Twins top 10 

The Future: Making it through a full season healthy was an important step for Romero, and he’ll pitch with few restrictions in 2017. He has No. 2 or No. 3 starter ceiling.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-minnesota-twins-top-10-prospects/#s8tbFl44E7LKbRXa.99

Yes sirrrr! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coach George said:

He's still not getting as much love as I expected. He's easily in my top 100...I'd like to see some mainstream sources agree.

BA gave some love, at #4 in the org. BP hasn't released the Twins list yet.

For fair use reasons, as it is a paid article, I'll give cliffnotes:

Scouting report: lean, strong, rehabbed well from TJS. Touches 100, works 94-97. Electic, ++ fastball. Firm 86-92 mph slider—a wipeout pitch when it’s working—and an average changeup. 2 potential high-end pitches, Romero might have best raw stuff in org. Needs to polish command. Aggressive mindset on mound. Tries to k the world which leads to high pitch counts (but good for fantasy IMO). #2/#3 ceiling. 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-minnesota-twins-top-10-prospects/#ETGAJwedRxSReBZu.97

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 2