Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boggsman

12 team, Standard, early round snake draft strategy.

Hey guys, im gonna fish for some advice in my first ever post on this forum, hope u dont mind, i been lurking hard for awhile :)

I commish a 12 team, standard scoring league with a snake draft. We just ran our draft lottery and i pulled the 11th pick. Initially i have been dead-set on taking WRs with my first 2 picks, and at 11 and 14 i am nearly guaranteed 2 WR from the group of Dez, AJ Green, Allen Robinson, Jordy Nelson and (to a lesser extent) Alshon Jeffery. Of course, there is a chance that somebody slips to me at 11 and i HAVE to take them, perhaps Peterson. But barring that, are there any RBs that you would take with the 14th pick over the WRs ive got targeted?

For a little bit of info on my competitors, the dude picking 7 is a Patriots homer, no way Gronk falls past him. The donkey picking at 9 has a serious rookie-boner (he drafted Melvin Gordon, Gurley and Amari Cooper last season) I would bet a paycheck that he takes Zeke @ 9. Buddy in the 12 spot we call "Bye week Todd" and hes apt to reaching and making bonehead picks. He took Peyton in the first round last season and i could see him reaching for Cam at 12 and leaving me some extra talent to choose from at pick 14.

I really enjoy this forum guys, any thoughts and opinions are appreciated. CHEERS

In a standard scoring league, Peterson would be a gift to pair with Allen Robinson or AJ Green, but you might have to go with Lamar Miller or Mark Ingram if Peterson is off the board. Then you could come back with something like Sammy Watkins (who is a great receiver in standard scoring, but has been dropping a little due to the foot injury) and Carlos Hyde at the 3/4 turn. In standard scoring, I'd be less concerned about getting two stud WRs and try to land at least one stud RB early.

I think ADPs will change between now and then drastically.

That said, at 11, 14 you have to consider that you won't pick again until like 35.

If you really want to go RB, RB I don't think it would be nuts to reach for whomever you like the best there in the top 30, i.e. Jamaal Charles/Devonta Freeman/LeSean McCoy/etc.

I love picking at the end of snake drafts. The best advice I can give is preparing like crazy but go in with no set plan. If you go in thinking you need certain position in a certain round, you end up reaching and losing. Basically you want a top 5 at a either WR or RB in the first round. If everyone takes RBs, go WR. If there is a run on WR, go RB. With the crazy drafter at the turn and your Patriot lover early in the draft, you could get two guys that are top 5 at their position if someone reaches because of an early run. This would be your best bet. The key to snake drafting is talk your way into swaying the picks and not getting caught up in runs on players. It's a managed league so I really don't look at bye weeks. For your bench, go with guys you think will put together a few good weeks then sell high. In most managed leagues, I only end up with about a quarter of the guys I drafted. But I'm in really active leagues, if you aren't, you'll have to adjust a little.

1 RB

1 WR

Best available at the time. If there's more wrs in the top tier when 11 comes around...take a Lamar Miller/LeSean/ AP or DJ if you're really lucky. If everyone goes WR heavy and there's more RB...wait until 14 and grab a top WR first.

Balance is key in standard drafts, imo

Pick the two best available players when it's you're turn to draft.

Go WR, WR. The top tier RB are gone by the time you pick. Elite WR are on the board though. Take them. Taken them all. Then trade one for a RB when the dust settles.

Arob and Jeffrey (Bears fan that knows, in contract yr), this is the best you're ever going to get from old Alshon. Love Alshon, hate Langford. Draft the Hoosier. Beardown.