davidgoretiz

Nick Senzel- 3B Reds

^

no guarantee on that.  he had a very mediocre showing in ST.  Nick needs to perform better at AAA 

wouldn't he have a better shot at being promoted if he was playing SS? Gennett has shown to be better than Peraza. if the Reds want Senzel to play multiple positions including 2B then I would think he would be down there longer to get more accustomed to the positions.

7 minutes ago, TheWrightStuff said:

Suarez has a fractured thumb...

Take it for what it's worth but Alex Blandino was just removed from the Reds' AAA game, while Senzel is still playing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Take it for what it's worth but Alex Blandino was just removed from the Reds' AAA game, while Senzel is still playing.

That being said it could also be Cincinnati is waiting for the 2 weeks to go by, a la the Kris Bryant game, before he gets the call. I’m adding in redrafts now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, meh2 said:

That being said it could also be Cincinnati is waiting for the 2 weeks to go by, a la the Kris Bryant game, before he gets the call. I’m adding in redrafts now.

Will be interesting to see where they line him up defensively tonight. He has played exclusively at 2B to start the season. If they move him back to 3B, then yeah, he very well could be in a week or so.

• Like 1

Any guesses on what his playing time will be like? I've got the gift and curse of the #1 WW and someone just dropped him the other day so he will clear waivers the day before he likely gets called up, so don't think I will be able to snag him without putting in a claim..

11 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Will be interesting to see where they line him up defensively tonight. He has played exclusively at 2B to start the season. If they move him back to 3B, then yeah, he very well could be in a week or so.

Still playing 2nd base tonight so no immediate decision to put him back at 3rd.

I thought there was a shot he was called up after Super-2 regardless, but with the injury to Suarez it still seems more likely to me. I’ll hold Senzel a few days where I have him. April 13th isn’t that far away. 

• Thanks 1

According to C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer, top Reds prospect Nick Senzel is expected to play third base Tuesday at Triple-A Louisville.

Senzel has been serving as Louisville's everyday second baseman so far this season, but the Reds' biggest need at the major league level is at third base with Eugenio Suarez out indefinitely because of a fractured right thumb. Senzel could take over at the hot corner in Cincinnati by early next week and is worth a stash right now in most mixed fantasy leagues. The 22-year-old slashed .321/.391/.514 with 14 home runs and 14 stolen bases in 119 games last season between High-A Daytona and Double-A Pensacola. He was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2016 MLB Draft.
Apr 10 - 10:48 AM
  • Like 1

Does Blandino's recall throw water on that prediction? Rosecrans himself just predicted days ago that he was the likelier call to replace Suarez than Senzel. Maybe Senzel is sliding over to replace Blandino and get further playing time before a later call-up. Food for thought, not gospel.

1 hour ago, DemOrioles said:

Yeah, he’s getting called up I’d imagine.  Reds need him.

I'm not so sure. I think he's going to have to at least start tearing the cover off the ball at AAA before he forces the Red's hand. But boy I'd love it 

They'll most likely bring him up this weekend, but I'm just not sure how permanent it will be.  The Reds still want him to play 2B for the future, so once Suarez is healthy, I could see him going back to AAA until they get rid of Gennett.

Added him today in my redraft league in the hopes that he gets called up and hits enough to stick but not holding out any great hope.

1 minute ago, smeeze said:

ESPN is also pessimistic on his recall:

Senzel is unlikely to be called up immediately to replace the injured Eugenio Suarez (thumb), the Reds' official site reports.
Spin: 
Suarez fractured his right thumb Sunday when he was hit by a pitch. Senzel, a highly-rated prospect, plays third base and has reached Triple-A, but it's unlikely that he's called up immediately to replace Suarez. He isn't yet on the Reds' 40-man roster, and the team will want to keep him in the minors until at least Saturday in order to retain an extra year of team control. There's a chance he gets called up Saturday, though with just three games played at the Triple-A level, the team may elect to keep him in the minors for a little while longer.

He has 17 career ABs in AAA, and he's not exactly tearing the cover off the ball. Combine that with just a decent spring and I don't see why they would rush him up to the bigs. I think mid May early June is more of a likely time frame assuming he gets his numbers up in AAA. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

He has 17 career ABs in AAA, and he's not exactly tearing the cover off the ball. Combine that with just a decent spring and I don't see why they would rush him up to the bigs. I think mid May early June is more of a likely time frame assuming he gets his numbers up in AAA. 

Why would they move him off of 2B where they see his future simultaneously with the suarez thumb injury if they dont wanna rush him?

i know the reds arent the most competent team but doesnt make sense them moving him to 3B if they didnt plan on using him there shortly

They should move him to SS if he can handle the position.  Jose Peraza ain't good.

5 minutes ago, jb_power said:

They should move him to SS if he can handle the position.  Jose Peraza ain't good.

this would be great [for my fantasy squads], if he can handle it.

gennett (2b) has one arbitration year left, i think, while peraza hasn't even reached arbitration, so that could be factor for the future. i.e., they could be willing to give peraza a bit more time to figure it out, while gennett isn't a long term asset. obviously they could sign gennett or anybody else for 2b, so who knows, but if i'm management its certainly a factor to consider.

4 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Why would they move him off of 2B where they see his future simultaneously with the suarez thumb injury if they dont wanna rush him?

i know the reds arent the most competent team but doesnt make sense them moving him to 3B if they didnt plan on using him there shortly

That’s a fair point. But I think it’s safe to say Suarez is going to miss a lot of time. While Cincinnati has not given an official timetable for his return, history tells us that  he could be out 8-12 weeks.

This can give them some time to make a decision.

https://theathletic.com/305734/2018/04/08/nick-senzel-likely-wont-replace-injured-eugenio-suarez-and-heres-why/

this is is a great piece by the Athletic worth reading (Paywall.... i know. But if you’re commenting frequently on MiLB forums... you’re the target demographic ?)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jb_power said:

That may be something they consider once Suarez is back (unless they are still hell bent on him being a 2B still at that time).

Either way, it'd be surprising if he doesn't get called up on Friday no matter what each website says.  Moving him back to 3B doesn't make sense unless they are seriously considering calling him up soon.  They moved him to 2B for a reason, and it makes no sense to move him back to 3B otherwise.

12 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

That may be something they consider once Suarez is back (unless they are still hell bent on him being a 2B still at that time).

Either way, it'd be surprising if he doesn't get called up on Friday no matter what each website says.  Moving him back to 3B doesn't make sense unless they are seriously considering calling him up soon.  They moved him to 2B for a reason, and it makes no sense to move him back to 3B otherwise.

Agreed.  I also think folks are missing the fact that ESPN's report and CBS's report is a regurgitation of the original Rosencrans report that they weren't calling him up immediately.  They're just slower to the news, so it gets posted a day later and treated like new information - it's not.

The new information is that Senzel was moved back to 3B, and that they can avoid Super-2 by waiting until Friday or Saturday to call him up.

• Like 1