davidgoretiz

Nick Senzel- 3B Reds

Is it possible that they are just planning to keep him acquainted with 3B, and that he bounces around a little between positions (in the minors) AND doesn't actually get the call right away?  The Reds are absolutely terrible and they don't have to rush him in to joining the dumpster fire that is their big league team until he's really locked in at the plate this season.  Or is that just nuts?

4 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

How does he profile compared to say, Moncada? Who for all intents and purposes has struggled in the bigs.

Hard to answer but for what it’s worth, MLB.con gave Senzel a 70 hit tool rating while in 2016 they gave Moncada a 60.  

Vlad Jr got the only 80 ever given out. 

1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

How does he profile compared to say, Moncada? Who for all intents and purposes has struggled in the bigs.

Pretty different prospects. Moncada was (is) raw with great tools and contact issues. Senzel is considered the more polished hitter, but doesn't have the toolsy speed and raw power grades. Consider the Fangraphs scouting grades which give a present/future value on each tool:

Moncada before 2017: Hit 30/60, Game Power 40/60, Raw Power 60/60, Speed 70/70

Senzel before 2018 (from their 100 list): Hit 55/70, Game Power 40/55, Raw Power 55/55, Run 55/50

So Senzel is considered the better hitter and is way closer to realizing that hitting ability than Moncada was at this time last year. That comes the expense of less potential power and less speed. It shows in the results. Moncada has struggled in the bigs for because of contact, which fits with that 30 PV on the hit tool. Moncada also had relatively high K rates at each of his stints at advanced levels (AA and above), with K rates of 28% or higher at each stop AA and above. Other than the brief 31 PA stint in AA so far (which is at 25%), Senzel has had K rates of less than 20% at each stop including 18% at AA (compared to Moncada 30%+ at the same level).

That's not to say that Senzel won't fail, but they are very different prospects with different strengths and potential drawbacks.

Edited by jorp
  • Like 6

I've watched some Senzel and read a good bit. Am I wrong to be reminded of Alex Bregman?

2 hours ago, Folarin said:

I've watched some Senzel and read a good bit. Am I wrong to be reminded of Alex Bregman?

No you are spot-on, I have read that comparison many times in the past year

• Like 1

He’s batting 2nd and playing 2nd tonight...

Edit: In the minors, of course

Edited by Gambino

Part of a rebuild should be getting young guys playing time. Even if Senzel isn't getting called up this weekend, Pennington getting playing time is inexplicably awful.

But watching their transactions/DFAs/callups over the last few days leaves me with little hope that they'll actually call him up.

If they don't call up Senzel this weekend and continuing starting Pennington at 3B, they might as well just start a fire sale and tank the season already.  Not just because I have Senzel waiting in my NA slot, but because it makes no sense otherwise.  Well, about as much sense as actually moving him to 3B and then back to 2B.

11 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

If they don't call up Senzel this weekend and continuing starting Pennington at 3B, they might as well just start a fire sale and tank the season already.  Not just because I have Senzel waiting in my NA slot, but because it makes no sense otherwise.  Well, about as much sense as actually moving him to 3B and then back to 2B.

I don't think making sense is the modus operandi of the Reds. 

This is a really, really, really stupid team.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately very true.  I still had to call them out on how stupid this whole situation could end up being though.

4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Unfortunately very true.  I still had to call them out on how stupid this whole situation could end up being though.

Oh for sure, this situation could (and likely might) end up really awful.

Like I said a few hours ago though, they're not even doing this rebuild thing in a sensible way. Fine, you might not call up Senzel, but at least you could be giving Blandino all the 3B PAs instead of wasting any time on freaking Cliff Pennington. DFA'ing Ariel Hernandez today when the guy had options was just the icing on the cake today. 

I put a flyer on claiming Senzel this weekend, but I'm not optimistic. Hope they prove me wrong.

3 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

Oh for sure, this situation could (and likely might) end up really awful.

Like I said a few hours ago though, they're not even doing this rebuild thing in a sensible way. Fine, you might not call up Senzel, but at least you could be giving Blandino all the 3B PAs instead of wasting any time on freaking Cliff Pennington. DFA'ing Ariel Hernandez today when the guy had options was just the icing on the cake today. 

I put a flyer on claiming Senzel this weekend, but I'm not optimistic. Hope they prove me wrong.

Yeah, moving him back to 2B isn't a good sign.

Pennington really tried to make tonight's game a blowout.  I have Luke Weaver, so I was happy until the Cardinals found a way to not take advantage of two gifts, but that's beside the point.  I understand expectations for this season were low, but you'd still think they would try so maybe a few people would buy tickets.

For me, it's not like I really need him right now, but it would be fun to see what he can do anyways.

Pennington is proving that he belongs by following up his 2 error game with leaving 6 men on base today.  Pennington laughs at the fact that Senzel did more for his team in one AB than Pennington has done all season. #PenningtonPlayeroftheWeek #PenningtonBelongs

• Haha 1

The Reds stink and will all year, it really doesn't help them all that much to call up Senzel, might as well wait until July and get that arbitration year, this team is going nowhere.

3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

The Reds stink and will all year, it really doesn't help them all that much to call up Senzel, might as well wait until July and get that arbitration year, this team is going nowhere.

If you want your fanbase to revolt with nothing to watch or have hope for, sure. Cries for firing all the mgmt are already loud. There is something to be said for just putting a team with some dignity out there. They won’t wait until July

Edited by loro1991

As the outrage grows and we see more articles/radio commentary like this mgmt will have their hand forced. Heads are going to be rolling. 

"Here are the stats: Since Eugenio Suarez has been out, Reds third basemen were 1 for 25 with three errors entering Sunday. 

Meanwhile, the team’s No. 1 prospect, Nick Senzel, a third baseman by trade, remains at Triple-A. Senzel started off well for the Louisville Bats. He had two hits in each of the first two games. He struggled a bit for the next four games, but he had five hits in his last three games entering Sunday. 

The date has passed by which the Reds can call up Senzel and retain control of Senzel for another year. 

If the Reds were 11-2, there would be no reason to be talking about Senzel. But the Reds entered Sunday 2-11 and last in the National League in runs scored. 

It sounds like if it were manager Bryan Price’s call, Senzel would be with the Reds. 

“We’re an organization,” Price said. “We’re not one person. This is not a situation where one person gets to say: This is what happens. This is a decision that’s made by a lot of people for a lot of varying reasons. That’s where I stand on it. I think he could help us. There’s also the argument that the people who see him and know him better than I do need to feel like he’s ready. When that time comes, I would think we’ll see him here. Especially with Geno out.”

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, azeri98 said:

I mean, it's true that they're probably not going anywhere this season, but they have to consider two things:

1) If they do nothing, fan disinterest and displeasure will grow even greater as this continual rebuild just carries on with no signs of real progress.

2) If Senzel is part of the future, there's a value in using this "bad" time to get him as many looks as possible to figure out the league. Brinson is doing terrible in Miami, but they're so bad, they can afford to let him work at it, which is actually pretty valuable.

Now granted, if he came up and just stunk and toiled away like Brinson, that wouldn't have much value for us as fantasy players. But I could see a value for the Reds themselves at least (also, it'd probably help Votto a lot if he was actually good).

• Like 1

As an example of what you and I are saying, last few articles on reds reporter

Reds lose.

Did the reds lose? Yes.

Reds make roster move, but no it doesn't involve Nick Senzel

The reds lose, again. 

When will the reds organization hold anyone accountable?

Reds fans, don't give up just yet.

Is it time for mgmt to dismiss Bryan Price

Reds try baseball, lose baseball 6-5 to Phillies

This is possibly the worst way for the Reds season to have started

People are not happy. Mgmt and FO heads are getting chopped soon, the fanbase has nothing right now. Holding Senzel down for a fuggin arbitration year would be ludicrous when we already passed the super 2. If they hold him down they believe he's not ready. 

Is the plan to wait until Joey Votto gets another year older? lol.

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1

On the topic of Senzel himself again, he started 2B again today. No 3B starts since that one. Guess it really meant nothing.